Archer's England eligibility set for March

By Sports Desk November 29, 2018

Sussex have clarified the point at which star all-rounder Jofra Archer is set to become available for England selection following changes to eligibility regulations on Thursday.

The England and Wales Cricket Board announced that players wishing to play for England need only three years' residence - down from seven previously for those moving after their 18th birthday - with the changes coming into effect in the new year.

Former West Indies youth international Archer moved to Sussex in 2015 and appeared to believe this would put him in line for a call-up for England's Caribbean tour in the new year.

The team will play three Tests, five ODIs and three Twenty20s, starting in Barbados - the isle of Archer's birth - on January 23.

"It may or may not happen but I would love to debut in front of my family," Archer posted on Twitter of a potential England debut in that first Test match.

However, due to his Twenty20 commitments in the coming months, Archer is not set to reach the 210 days of residency required in his third year until some time in March.

Sussex said in a statement later on Thursday: "The exact date of Jofra's qualification will depend on the time he spends out of the country during the rest of 2018-19."

They added: "Qualifying for England has long been an aim of Jofra's and Sussex Cricket is delighted for him that this ambition will now be realised sooner than previously envisaged."

Archer may not be available in time for a return to Barbados to play the Windies, but the Cricket World Cup and the Ashes remain viable targets later next year.

Under previous regulations, the 23-year-old would not have been set to qualify for England until 2022.

Related items

  • Starc: If I listen to Warne, I may as well retire Starc: If I listen to Warne, I may as well retire

    Mitchell Starc will continue to ignore criticism from Shane Warne, saying he "may as well retire" if he listens to the former Australia star.

    Warne has again been unflattering in his assessment of Starc's bowling in recent weeks, writing in a newspaper column after the first Test against India that some of his play had been "atrocious".

    Those comments appeared to reignite a feud from 2015, when Warne criticised Starc's body language and the Australia man riposted that he had "nothing to prove" to the bowling great.

    Reports suggested Starc was unhappy with this analysis, but he says he is not putting much stock in Warne's opinions, insisting the focus will remain on beating India.

    "I still don't know what he said," Starc told FOX after day three of the second Test on Sunday. "I've been told about it.

    "But if I keep listening to Warney, I may as well retire. I'll just keep going about my stuff, as I have done over the week."

    Australia led by 43 runs after the first innings in Perth, stretching that advantage to 175 as they reached stumps at 132-4 on Sunday.

    Starc (2-79) took the early wickets of Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara as India batted for the first time, before their recovery was halted by the controversial dismissal of captain Virat Kohli.

  • India surprised by contentious Kohli decision - Bumrah India surprised by contentious Kohli decision - Bumrah

    Jasprit Bumrah said India were "a little surprised" with Virat Kohli's contentious dismissal on day three but is confident they can chase down any target to beat Australia at Perth Stadium.

    Kohli made an imperious 25th Test century on Sunday but was clearly disgruntled when he was given out for 123 after edging Pat Cummins to Peter Handscomb in the slips.

    Third umpire Nigel Llong did not see enough evidence to overturn Kumar Dharmasena's decision, but the tourists were not convinced the ball had carried to Handscomb.

    "We were a little surprised by the on-field call, but now that it's been done, it's been done, so we will move forward with the game." said India paceman Bumrah.

    Nathan Lyon took 5-67 as India collapsed from 223-4 to 283 all out to give Australia a first-innings lead of 43 runs.

    India hit back with the ball to give themselves hope, reducing Tim Paine's side to 132-4 with doubts over whether Aaron Finch will be able to bat on day four after retiring hurt on 25 with a finger injury.

    Bumrah, who deserved more than the one wicket he claimed, believes the top-ranked side have every chance of taking a 2-0 lead.

    "Tomorrow the first session will be very important, we want to take early wickets and reduce the total as much as possible." he said.

    "In my eyes I feel our team is capable of chasing any total but we will try to minimise as much as possible."

  • Finch cleared of serious damage after another finger blow Finch cleared of serious damage after another finger blow

    Australia opener Aaron Finch was cleared of serious damage after taking another blow to the finger on day three of the second Test against India at Perth Stadium.

    The opening batsman grimaced when he was struck on the right index digit off a sharp delivery from Mohammed Shami and retired hurt on 25.

    Finch had twice taken a blown on the same finger when he was done for pace by team-mate Mitchell Starc in the nets.

    The limited-overs captain has not suffered a fracture, but it remains to be seen whether he will be able to bat on a fourth day which Australia will start with a lead of 175 on 132-4.

    Australia spinner Nathan Lyon said: "I'm still not sure whether he's going to bat, so if he bats he bats, if he doesn't we'll just have to make do with whatever we can get to.

    "But great news for Aaron that he's been cleared of any serious damage."

    Lyon claimed figures of 5/67 on a gripping day which saw Virat Kohli somewhat controversially dismissed for a majestic 123, Peter Handscomb adjudged to have held on to a slip catch off Pat Cummins.

    Lyon's 14th five-wicket haul in the longest format moved him into the top 25 on the all-time list of Test wicket-takers and the spinner said there is plenty more to come.

    "It's a bit surreal," Lyon said when informed he had risen above Allan Donald. "To pass the great 'White Lightning', it's pretty special. 

    "Those types of milestones for me personally haven't really sunk in. I don't think I'm at the top of my game yet. I think I've still got a lot of improvement, a lot of learning about the game and about off-spin bowling.

    "I believe there's a lot around the corner for me if I keep working hard and keep wanting to get better. 

    "At the end of my career I'll sit down with my family and friends and hopefully have a beer with mum and dad and my brother and everyone else and just go 'okay, that's where we got to, that's pretty special'. But I've got a lot to achieve in my eyes."

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

Can the Guyana Jaguars win another four-day title? Defending champions Jaguars on the verge of second victory  Re… https://t.co/MVwNKbc6BL
Two centuries, a half-century, incredible bowling figures, this game has it all, and it's not over! Volcanoes hold… https://t.co/BUB2BJDYSq
Poor cricket to start the first few rounds of the West Indies Championships. Appalling Scorpions batting puts Barb… https://t.co/WaJIWPLCKs
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.