Archer could miss Big Bash for England chance

By Sports Desk December 01, 2018

Jofra Archer could reconsider his involvement with Hobart Hurricanes in the upcoming Big Bash League as skipping the tournament would ensure he is eligible for England's Caribbean tour.

This week the England and Wales Cricket Board announced a change to its eligibility restrictions, with those, like Archer, who want to play for England now needing only three years' residency rather than seven if they have moved after their 18th birthday.

Archer, a former West Indies youth international, joined Sussex in 2015 and will become eligible for England next year, though forthcoming Twenty20 commitments means that date is set to come some time after March.

However, Archer would be eligible sooner if he skipped the BBL and stayed at home, and the Barbados-born seamer admits he has some thinking to do.

"I'm not too sure [about skipping the Big Bash]," he told ESPN Cricinfo.

"I haven't been to Australia as of yet. I don't know how the CEO [of Hobart] would react. I haven't asked yet.

"Obviously everything just happened only two days ago, so there's still some time to do some thinking and to really see what takes priority."

Archer has another reason to be grateful the rule has changed as it means he can now spend more time with his family in Barbados once he becomes eligible.

"Being qualified means I can spend a bit more time at home," he added.

"This is three to four years now that I've only spent two or three weeks at home the whole year.

"Sometimes it's not enough not seeing your family for so long so there's at least some good things out of qualifying this year."

Related items

  • Starc: If I listen to Warne, I may as well retire Starc: If I listen to Warne, I may as well retire

    Mitchell Starc will continue to ignore criticism from Shane Warne, saying he "may as well retire" if he listens to the former Australia star.

    Warne has again been unflattering in his assessment of Starc's bowling in recent weeks, writing in a newspaper column after the first Test against India that some of his play had been "atrocious".

    Those comments appeared to reignite a feud from 2015, when Warne criticised Starc's body language and the Australia man riposted that he had "nothing to prove" to the bowling great.

    Reports suggested Starc was unhappy with this analysis, but he says he is not putting much stock in Warne's opinions, insisting the focus will remain on beating India.

    "I still don't know what he said," Starc told FOX after day three of the second Test on Sunday. "I've been told about it.

    "But if I keep listening to Warney, I may as well retire. I'll just keep going about my stuff, as I have done over the week."

    Australia led by 43 runs after the first innings in Perth, stretching that advantage to 175 as they reached stumps at 132-4 on Sunday.

    Starc (2-79) took the early wickets of Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara as India batted for the first time, before their recovery was halted by the controversial dismissal of captain Virat Kohli.

  • India surprised by contentious Kohli decision - Bumrah India surprised by contentious Kohli decision - Bumrah

    Jasprit Bumrah said India were "a little surprised" with Virat Kohli's contentious dismissal on day three but is confident they can chase down any target to beat Australia at Perth Stadium.

  • Latham century puts New Zealand in commanding position Latham century puts New Zealand in commanding position

    An unbeaten Tom Latham hundred and Kane Williamson's fine knock capped a dominant day as New Zealand took control of the first Test against Sri Lanka.

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

Can the Guyana Jaguars win another four-day title? Defending champions Jaguars on the verge of second victory  Re… https://t.co/MVwNKbc6BL
Two centuries, a half-century, incredible bowling figures, this game has it all, and it's not over! Volcanoes hold… https://t.co/BUB2BJDYSq
Poor cricket to start the first few rounds of the West Indies Championships. Appalling Scorpions batting puts Barb… https://t.co/WaJIWPLCKs
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.