Chris Gayle awarded US$220,000 in Fairfax Media case

By December 03, 2018

Windies batsman Chris Gayle was awarded US$220,000 in damages by an Australian court on Monday, just over a year after he won a defamation case against Fairfax media.

Gayle had filed suit against Fairfax media following reports in the Sydney Morning Herald, the Age and the Canberra Times in 2016 alleging that Gayle had exposed himself to a masseuse during the 2015 ICC World Cup.

In October 2017, a jury ruled in favour of the Windies batsman saying Fairfax media was motivated by malice.

"In light of the jury's verdict I am required to assess damages on the basis that the allegation of indecent exposure was not true and that the attribution of such conduct was very damaging to Mr Gayle's reputation," Justice McCallum said.

Fairfax Media said back then that they would appeal the judgement.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Jaguars, Volcanoes secure victories in Windies Championships Jaguars, Volcanoes secure victories in Windies Championships

    The Guyana Jaguars needed just two overs on Sunday to wrap up a nine-wicket win over the Leeward Islands Hurricanes in North Sound Antigua.

  • Starc: If I listen to Warne, I may as well retire Starc: If I listen to Warne, I may as well retire

    Mitchell Starc will continue to ignore criticism from Shane Warne, saying he "may as well retire" if he listens to the former Australia star.

    Warne has again been unflattering in his assessment of Starc's bowling in recent weeks, writing in a newspaper column after the first Test against India that some of his play had been "atrocious".

    Those comments appeared to reignite a feud from 2015, when Warne criticised Starc's body language and the Australia man riposted that he had "nothing to prove" to the bowling great.

    Reports suggested Starc was unhappy with this analysis, but he says he is not putting much stock in Warne's opinions, insisting the focus will remain on beating India.

    "I still don't know what he said," Starc told FOX after day three of the second Test on Sunday. "I've been told about it.

    "But if I keep listening to Warney, I may as well retire. I'll just keep going about my stuff, as I have done over the week."

    Australia led by 43 runs after the first innings in Perth, stretching that advantage to 175 as they reached stumps at 132-4 on Sunday.

    Starc (2-79) took the early wickets of Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara as India batted for the first time, before their recovery was halted by the controversial dismissal of captain Virat Kohli.

  • India surprised by contentious Kohli decision - Bumrah India surprised by contentious Kohli decision - Bumrah

    Jasprit Bumrah said India were "a little surprised" with Virat Kohli's contentious dismissal on day three but is confident they can chase down any target to beat Australia at Perth Stadium.

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

Will the Guyana Jaguars win it all again this season? https://t.co/Z7u7pJ57kP https://t.co/oR5FJLOHLz
Konya Plummer relishes Brazil encounter at 2019 World Cup. https://t.co/FRyMdQutoT https://t.co/KrrgWcsTDG
Going to the world cup has special meaning to Reggae Girlz 'keeper https://t.co/86Q2eWsFKB https://t.co/iL5ESsfbzy
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.