EPL

Everton handed academy transfer ban by Premier League

By Sports Desk November 08, 2018

Everton have been banned from signing academy players who have been registered with another Premier League or EFL club in the preceding 18 months for two years after breaching recruitment rules.

The suspension comes after Everton admitted to the Premier League that academy staff had offered inducements to a player and his family to encourage him to register with the club, with a subsequent inquiry revealing similar breaches had taken place in relation to six other academy players.

A statement from the Premier League read: "The Premier League has sanctioned Everton FC for breaching Academy player recruitment rules.
 
"The Premier League received evidence alleging that Everton Academy staff offered inducements to a player and his family to encourage the player to register with the club. When presented with this information, Everton immediately admitted the allegations and set up its own internal inquiry which established that similar misconduct had occurred in relation to six other Academy players.
 
"In certain cases, it was found that the club provided false information to the League when questions had previously been raised about the circumstances in which Academy players registered with the club.
 
"The club will pay a fine of £500,000 and will be banned for two years from registering any Academy player who has been registered with another Premier League or EFL club in the preceding 18 months. The club will also pay additional compensation payments to the former clubs of two Academy players."

In response Everton said in a statement: "Everton has worked alongside the Premier League over recent weeks to conduct a full and thorough investigation into allegations relating to our Academy's operational methods in some areas of player recruitment.

"In short, we are extremely disappointed with some of the practices we have found which are not in line with our values and not acceptable to Everton Football Club. Accordingly, we have accepted the penalties imposed on us by the Premier League and have given them our strongest apologies.

"We have already commenced a full review of our Academy operations and are committed to ensuring that issues like this do not happen again at Everton."

Related items

  • ISSA Walker Cup Final Preview: Excelsior, Hydel battle for first trophy of Jamaica schoolboy football season ISSA Walker Cup Final Preview: Excelsior, Hydel battle for first trophy of Jamaica schoolboy football season

    Excelsior and Hydel will meet in the final.

  • Mourinho is better than Guardiola – Maradona Mourinho is better than Guardiola – Maradona

    Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is a better manager than Manchester City counterpart Pep Guardiola, according to Diego Maradona.

    Guardiola led City to the Premier League title last season and has his team flying again this campaign, while Mourinho's United are struggling, beaten in the derby on Sunday.

    However, Maradona feels former Real Madrid, Chelsea and Inter boss Mourinho is the world's best coach.

    "For me yes, Mou is the best," he told Marca.

    "I would give Pep the merit of taking advantage of the launch that Johan Cruyff gave him.

    "I have said on more than one occasion that tiki-taka was not invented by Guardiola. It was 'Flaco' Cruyff.

    "At the moment Pep is able to choose any player in the world that he wants. That way tiki-taka is easier."

    Maradona, now in charge of Mexican second-tier side Dorados, said he still had room to improve as a coach.

    Asked if he would be interested in coaching in Spain, the 1986 World Cup winner said only a "long-term project" would interest him, but first he wants to go to Manchester to learn from Mourinho.

    "Myself as a coach I need to learn a lot and for that reason I think I will go to Manchester and Mourinho to ask him a lot of things," the Argentina great said.

    "Because he is the best without doubt."

  • Don't worry bro – Mendy responds to Trump Don't worry bro – Mendy responds to Trump

    France defender Benjamin Mendy provided a brief response to a tweet from Donald Trump, reminding the United States president of the nation's recent World Cup success.

    Trump criticised Emmanuel Macron on Twitter after his French counterpart appeared to rebuke the US leader in a speech condemning nationalism.

    Mendy – the Manchester City and France full-back – had his say on social media on Tuesday.

    The 24-year-old, who was part of France's World Cup-winning squad in Russia, replied to Trump, writing: "Don't worry bro" along with two stars, representing the nation's two championships.

    Amid his criticism of the president of France, Trump had tweeted: "MAKE FRANCE GREAT AGAIN!"

    France claimed their second World Cup and first since 1998 with a 4-2 win over Croatia in the final in July.

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

'Taxi' gets his reward for consistent hard work with the Red Bulls. See story here: https://t.co/GXYEyHEeF9 #RBNY… https://t.co/lV6fR6MRml
With two world titles and a world-age-group record under her belt in 2018, can Briana Williams win the prestigious… https://t.co/RKPSGBglpp
Join the discussion! Zone Blitz: Nicholas has always shown promise but does he have a future with the Windies? … https://t.co/gvqGRKaHQD
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.