Starter was correct, Danielle Williams still disqualified, IAAF ranking to pick 100 hurdles team

By June 26, 2019
Former National Champion Danielle Williams Former National Champion Danielle Williams

The Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAAs) has met and ruled that former national champion, Danielle Williams, will not be allowed to represent the country at this year’s IAAF World Athletics Championships in Qatar. 

At the country’s National Trials on Saturday, Williams, 2015 World Champion, was ruled to have false started and was ordered ejected from the women’s 100-metre hurdles event.

Williams mounted an immediate protest, delaying the running of the event. When the event was eventually run, Janeek Brown, the fastest woman in the country over the distance this year, was the only athlete to complete the race.

There was allegedly a faulty start on the second occasion but the women were not to run again, with the understanding that a decision on how the team for the event would be selected happen at a later date.

Initially it had been rumoured that the race would have been re-run this week, but a release from the JAAAs says that would not have been feasible.

Furthermore, the release read, that since the IAAF certified Start Information System (SIS) was in working order at the event, the starter, who insisted that Williams be ejected, had acted appropriately.

That finding means that Williams will remain ineligible in keeping with the decision of the starter on the night.

Williams will not be considered when the JAAAs takes a look at the IAAF ranking of the athletes who had intended to compete in the trial event.

As of August 16, 2019, those rankings will be what the JAAAs uses to decide which three athletes will make the trip to Doha.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • International Olympic Committee supports four-year Russia ban International Olympic Committee supports four-year Russia ban

    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has reiterated its support for Russia's four-year ban from major international sporting events imposed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

    WADA declared the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) non-compliant again at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Monday over inconsistencies in anti-doping data discovered during an investigation.

    Athletes will not be able to compete under the Russian flag at the 2020 Olympics or the 2022 Winter Games, while Russia's place at the World Cup in Qatar is also in jeopardy.

    The IOC had supported the recommended sanction last month and retained its stance following the announcement.

    "The representatives of the Olympic Movement today [Monday] supported this unanimous decision in the WADA Executive Committee, which is in line with the statement made by the IOC Executive Board [on November 26] and endorsed by the Olympic Summit," a statement released to Omnisport read.

    The IOC said in November it would "support the toughest sanctions against all those responsible for this manipulation".

    It added: "With regard to the sanctions following this manipulation, we will still have to evaluate these in detail.

    "The IOC emphasises that any sanctions should follow the rules of natural justice and respect human rights.

    "Therefore, the IOC stresses that the guilty should be punished in the toughest way possible because of the seriousness of this infringement and thus welcomes the sanctions for the Russian authorities responsible."

    WADA's statement on Monday said: "The WADA Executive Committee has responded in the strongest possible terms, while protecting the rights of Russian athletes that can prove that they were not involved and did not benefit from these fraudulent acts."

  • Yohan Blake to quit track in two years, hopes to play in IPL Yohan Blake to quit track in two years, hopes to play in IPL

    Yohan Blake, the second-fastest man in history, could be set to play T20 cricket for the Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), once he hangs up his spikes.

  • St Lucia's Julien Alfred blazes 7.18 in 60m win at FastTrack Collegiate Opener St Lucia's Julien Alfred blazes 7.18 in 60m win at FastTrack Collegiate Opener

    St Lucia’s track queen Julien Alfred stormed to a big win in the 60m dash at the FastTrack Collegiate Opener in Houston, Texas, on Saturday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.