Jamaican sprinter Whyte smashes 60m school record on debut for FAU

By January 12, 2019
Florida Atlantic University's Natalliah Whyte. Florida Atlantic University's Natalliah Whyte.

Jamaican sprinter Natalliah Whyte seems to be adjusting well to life at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) after a solid debut at the 2019 UAB Blazer Invitational meet on Friday.

The 21-year-old Whyte only recently completed what some considered to be a surprise move to Florida from the higher profile Auburn Athletics track programme. 

Whyte, however, looks to be right at home and got things going in comfortable fashion as she clocked 7.36 to claim the women’s 60m dash in school’s opening meet of the season. The Jamaican finished well-clear of second place Brandee Presley of Ole Miss, who clocked 7.47 for the runner-up spot and Old Mississippi’s Kelly Rowe (7.57) who finished third in 7.57. 

The mark was well short of Whyte’s best time of 7.12, which was set in Texas in March of last year but still represented FAU’s second fastest ever time over the distance. 

Interestingly, it was Whyte who set the new school record with a time of 7.36 in the preliminary round, before narrowly failing to equal the mark in the final.

The duo of Jenae Ambrose and Jamesha Moorer, both Whyte’s teammates, had a picture finish in the 60-metre preliminaries after crossing the line in 7.65, which is tied for the seventh fastest time in school history.

 

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Reggae Boyz Antigua hotel nightmare reportedly resolved Reggae Boyz Antigua hotel nightmare reportedly resolved

    Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz have reportedly settled into a new hotel in Antigua following the embarrassing scenario on Monday when the team was met by deplorable conditions at the Starfish Halcyon Cove Resort.

  • Asafa Powell launches fitness and health website Asafa Powell launches fitness and health website

    Asafa Powell, the former 100-metre world record holder and current Guinness Record holder for the most sub-10 runs has launched asafafitlife.com, a fitness membership platform to help people around the world take control of their health and meet their fitness goals, with hands-on guidance on workouts and nutrition.

    “Health is our greatest asset,” Powell said. “Having over a decade of dedicated workout and nutrition experience as an athlete I felt it was time to share that.”

    The services offered on the site include but not limited to a 12-week fitness plan, nutrition advice, as well as recipes and fitness videos. Having done a soft launch to get feedback and fine-tune the site, the response has positive.

    It has given persons the opportunity to start their fitness journey with someone they trust, can relate to and know that the support they need is at their fingertips.

    “I wanted to create a community,” Powell said.

    Once people sign up, they get access to a range of his e-books like 'Live Like a Legend', a 30-Day guide to help people kick-start their journey to fitness. There is also access to a private group on Facebook that members can join to share their progress, provide support, share recipe ideas and keep in touch with Powell as they embark on their fitness journey.

    The site also features more than 50 fitness videos providing detailed workout instructions for beginners as well as expert advice on how to exercise safely and effectively as well as Powell’s Nutrition Mission eBook.

    To learn more about Asafa’s fitness membership platform and to see why it’s poised to change the game visit https://asafafitlife.com.

  • Cuts to Diamond League programme triggers global backlash Cuts to Diamond League programme triggers global backlash

    There has been a significant backlash against the IAAF’s decision to cut eight events – four male and four female – from the Diamond League circuit for the upcoming season.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.