Ashes 2019: Recalled Marsh like a 'kid at Christmas'

By Sports Desk September 12, 2019

Mitchell Marsh admitted he was like a "kid at Christmas" ahead of day one at The Oval before taking advantage of his recall to put Australia on top in the fifth Ashes Test against England.

All-rounder Marsh, selected for his first appearance of the series ahead of vice-captain Travis Head, took 4-35 as England collapsed from 170-3 to 226-8 after tea.

Pat Cummins (2-73) and Josh Hazlewood (2-76) also did damage on the opening day after Tim Paine won the toss and opted to bowl as the tourists - who retained the urn by taking a 2-1 lead at Old Trafford last weekend - strive to secure a series win.

Joe Root was dropped three times before he was out for 57 and Jos Buttler smashed a counter-attacking unbeaten 64 to leave England on 271-8 at stumps on Thursday.

Marsh, able to return to the field after suffering cramp in the final session, revelled in his return to the Test arena.

"I probably haven't bowled a spell that long ever really. I was pretty fired up but unfortunately the sniper got me again!" Marsh, who had only previously taken four wickets once in a Test innings, told Sky Sports.

"I was like a kid at Christmas this morning, I was so excited. It can be a long tour if you're not playing, my goal has been to create as much energy as I can for this team when I'm not playing and I just wanted to get an opportunity at some stage and it was nice to chip in today.

"It probably could have been a lot less than 271-8 if we'd held our catches early on. We spoke about coming here and wanting to win 3-1, it probably didn't reflect on our first session. You drop catches sometimes and we'll take 271 on that.

"I swung the ball most of the day which helped with my control, I've been working in the background, making sure I was ready for it. I just wanted to come in today and take a few wickets.

"These guys have bowled so many overs, so I saw it as my role to help them out a little bit."

Related items

  • Gus Logie appointed interim head coach for West Indies Women's team Gus Logie appointed interim head coach for West Indies Women's team

    Former West Indies batsman Gus Logie has been named the Interim Head Coach of the West Indies Women’s Team. Cricket West Indies has also appointed a new team manager.

  • Gayle not 'available' for Afghanistan series but chief selector Harper insists focus to be on youngsters Gayle not 'available' for Afghanistan series but chief selector Harper insists focus to be on youngsters

    Newly appointed Windies chairman of selectors Roger Harper confirmed veteran batsman Chris Gayle was unavailable for the upcoming series against Afghanistan but suggested the panel would focus on younger talent going forward.

    Speculation has continued to surround the future of the star batsman after he announced plans to retire, following the ICC World Cup earlier this year.  The 40-year-old, however, appeared to have a change of heart and went on to claim that the team's series again India, following the cricketing showpiece, would instead be his final. 

    Controversy, however, erupted with many suggesting the batsman should hang up his tips and allow for the development of younger players.  Following the series against India, Gayle was again quick to insist that he was in no hurry to retire.  With young openers like Evin Lewis and Brandon King included in the squad, Harper suggested it was time to give younger players an opportunity to showcase their skills.

    “Gayle told us he is unavailable for Afghanistan Series, but we all know Chris, he is a world-class player with a tremendous record and of course it’s difficult to replace Chris Gayle,” Harper explained.

    "But I think going forward it is in a way an opportunity for young players to showcase their skills and make a name for themselves as we look ahead to the next two T20 World Cups in 2020 and 2021 and the future.”

  • Emotional Stoichkov calls for tough sanctions on Bulgaria after England clash Emotional Stoichkov calls for tough sanctions on Bulgaria after England clash

    Bulgaria great Hristo Stoichkov fought back tears in a TV appearance as he demanded action over the racist abuse England players suffered in their Euro 2020 qualifier in Sofia.

    The former Ballon d'Or winner suggested "heavier punishments" than stadium closures could be required in response to the shameful scenes that marred Monday's match.

    A section of Bulgaria supporters aimed monkey chants at Raheem Sterling, Tyrone Mings and Marcus Rashford and were also seen performing Nazi salutes.

    Bulgarian Football Union president Borislav Mihaylov stepped down amid the fallout and UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the organisation.

    The abuse witnessed at Vasil Levski National Stadium moved 53-year-old Stoichkov during an appearance on TUDN programme Futbol Central.

    "People don't deserve to suffer," Stoichkov said, before becoming emotional and hanging his head.

    Play was twice halted in the first half on Monday before a group of fans were ejected from the ground.

    Asked about about a suitable sanction, former Barcelona forward Stoichkov said: "That fans are not allowed in the stadium, or even heavier punishments, like in England a few years ago."

    Stoichkov did not specify a particular incident involving punishment in England. He may have meant the ban from European club competitions imposed after the 1985 Heysel Stadium disaster, when English clubs were barred from UEFA competitions for five years, and Liverpool excluded for a further year.

    The Sofia stadium that hosted Monday's match had already been partially closed as a result of racist behaviour from fans during qualifiers against Kosovo and the Czech Republic in June.

    Bulgaria head coach Krasimir Balakov issued an apology on Wednesday and condemned the racist abuse after initially stating he did not hear it occur during his team's 6-0 defeat.

    "I would like to say very clearly: since there were cases of racial discrimination in Sofia, I would like to sincerely apologise to the English footballers and to all those who felt offended," Balakov said.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.