UAE skipper Naveed apologetic as ICC hands three players corruption charges

By Sports Desk October 17, 2019

Captain Mohammad Naveed is one of three United Arab Emirates internationals who have been provisionally suspended by the International Cricket Council (ICC) following alleged multiple breaches of its anti-corruption rules.

Naveed has been charged with two breaches of the ICC's Anti-Corruption Code, including "contriving, or being party to an agreement or effort to fix or contrive or otherwise influence improperly, the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of matches in the upcoming ICC World T20 Qualifiers".

His other charge relates to the failure to disclose details of "any approaches or invitations received" that "would amount to corrupt conduct". Both of those charges have also been levelled at fellow UAE international Shaiman Anwar.

A similar two charges for breaches of the Emirates Cricket Board's [ECB] code have been handed to Naveed in relation to the T10 League.

Bowler Qadeer Ahmed has been charged with six breaches of ICC laws, one of which relates to him "disclosing inside information [...] where he knew or should have known that the information might be used for betting purposes".

The players have 14 days to respond to the charges.

In addition, Mehardeep Chhayakar, described by the ICC as a "participant in cricket from Ajman", was also charged with one breach of the ICC code for "failing or refusing to cooperate with an investigation". 

The announcement came just two days before UAE host the 14-team qualifying tournament for next year’s ICC T20 World Cup in Australia.

Naveed, 32, was apologetic for his actions.

"I am very since about my game. I am very sincere about my career," he told The National.

"Now this has happened I feel guilty. Why did I not talk to the board? Why did I not talk to the ICC? It's my mistake and I feel guilty.

"My family and friends are let down. Everybody is let down. This was my mistake."

A statement from The Emirates Cricket Board said: "The board fully supports the ICC and the ICC anti-corruption unit in their efforts and denounces any activities of corruption.

"The board will wait for the conclusion of proceedings before making further comment."

Related items

  • Scorpions spinner Jamie Merchant reported for suspect bowling action Scorpions spinner Jamie Merchant reported for suspect bowling action

    Jamaica Scorpions off-spinner Jamie Merchant has been reported for a suspect bowling action during his side’s game against Canada last Saturday in the Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup.

  • Kohli: Conditions had to be right for India to take up a day-night Test Kohli: Conditions had to be right for India to take up a day-night Test

    Virat Kohli has insisted India were correct to hold off on playing a day-night Test until they were confident the conditions were right.

    India turned down the opportunity to play a day-night match against Australia in Adelaide in 2018.

    However, the world's leading Test side will play across the afternoon and evening for the first time when they take on Bangladesh in Kolkata on Friday.

    It is the second match of a two-game series, with India having cruised to victory by an innings and 130 runs in the opening Test.

    Captain Kohli had been reluctant to test the waters for a day-night Test, but believes India have made the correct decision in biding their time to play in the altered format.

    "Obviously we wanted to get a feel of pink-ball cricket. Eventually, it had to happen," Kohli, whose side are facing a Bangladesh team that has lost its last four Tests, told a news conference.

    "But, you can't bring up those things before a big tour that you're going to and suddenly in the schedule, there's a pink-ball Test, when we haven't even practiced with the pink ball – we haven't played any first-class games with pink ball.

    "The thing was to experience the pink-ball Test in our own conditions first, so you get the hang of how the ball behaves, what is the way to sight the ball and so on.

    "Then, eventually, going and playing with the pink ball anywhere in the world. So it can't be a sudden thing. 

    "It needed a bit of preparation. Once you get a hang of it, once you're used to playing it, there's no problem in playing at all."

    Kohli, though, does not feel day-night matches will become the norm in Test cricket.

    "I don't think [it will be] in five-six years," he said.

    "In my opinion, this should not become the only way Test cricket is played because then you're losing that nervousness in the first session in the morning.

    "Yes, you can bring excitement into Test cricket but you can't purely make Test cricket based on just entertaining people."

  • Hazlewood cites 'huge' Babar wicket as key for Australia Hazlewood cites 'huge' Babar wicket as key for Australia

    Josh Hazlewood hopes his dismissal of Babar Azam can set the tone for the series after Australia dismissed Pakistan for 240 on day one of the first Test.

    Babar is a man in form but survived just four deliveries before falling victim to a full and wide one from Hazlewood, edging into the hands of Joe Burns at first slip.

    It was an ill-judged shot that limited Babar's first-innings contribution at the Gabba to just one run, and Hazlewood wants to restrict his input across both matches.

    "It's huge to try to stay on top of him, for sure," Hazlewood said, having helped to check Pakistan's progress after they reached 75 without loss in Brisbane.  

    "He's probably coming off T20 cricket as well and we know he's a stroke-maker and he certainly likes to put the pressure back on you as a bowler. 

    "I feel if you can get him early, you can get a rash shot like that sometimes.

    "If he drives for four, he's sort of away as well in his game. So it can go both ways there, but we were lucky enough to get the nick and hopefully stay on top of him for the series."

    Hazlewood claimed figures of 2-46, while Mitchell Starc starred with the ball as he took 4-52.

    Among Starc's scalps was Naseem Shah, Pakistan's 16-year-old debutant who had earlier dug in to deny the bowler a hat-trick.

    Naseem, far more at home with the ball in hand, will now hope to stifle the hosts' reply on Friday. 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.