Australia star Maxwell to take break due to mental health issues

By Sports Desk October 31, 2019

Australia all-rounder Glenn Maxwell is taking a short break from cricket to address "difficulties" relating to his mental health.

Maxwell played and performed well in the opening two games of Australia's Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka but will not be involved in Friday's third and final match at the MCG following a discussion with coach Justin Langer.

Western Australia and Hobart Hurricanes batsman D'Arcy Short replaces him in the squad.

"Glenn Maxwell has been experiencing some difficulties with regards to his mental health," said team psychologist Michael Lloyd.

"As a result, he will spend a short time away from the game. Glenn was proactive in identifying these issues and engaging with support staff."

Australia coach Langer commended the short-form star for being open and honest about his struggles, which he said became more noticeable before last week's win in Adelaide.

Maxwell hit a quickfire 62 in that match and appeared to be in a jovial mood during Wednesday's second game at the Gabba as he spoke freely with broadcasters while wearing a microphone on the field.

"That's the mask he puts on, it's his armour, his energy and the way he plays," Langer told reporters in Melbourne.

"He's the great entertainer but underneath the mask - you probably just sense it.

"When you build relationships with people you sense when they're not quite right and I asked him the day before the Adelaide game and that's when he said we probably need that little chat.

"It took a lot of courage for him to say he wasn't feeling right."

Related items

  • Dillon confident of keeping Red Force job despite post being advertised Dillon confident of keeping Red Force job despite post being advertised

    Trinidad and Tobago Red Force coach Meryn Dillion insists he is confident of keeping his job, despite the post recently being advertised by the TTCB.

    The 45-year-old former fast bowler took charge of the twin-island republic team in January of last year and has done a commendable job to date.  After taking over a faltering Red Force team in the 2019 edition of the West Indies Championship, Dillon, led the team to a fourth-place finish with a record of three wins, one draw and two losses.

    In the following Regional Super50 competition the Red Force went as far as the semi-finals but were defeated by the Leeward Island Hurricanes.  In this season’s edition of the West Indies Four-Day Championship, the Red Force finished second to champions Barbados Pride.  His spell in charge has, however, not been without controversy with Windies wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin of throwing him out of the team and not using proper channels of communication, which hurt the team.  Ramdin officially filed a complaint with the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) but was told the matter could not be looked into until the end of the season.

    With Dillon’s contract coming to an end at the end of this month, the position has been advertised.  The coach, while insisting that he was not aware the post had been tendered, is confident he will be seen as the right man for the job.

    “I am quite confident. I think I am probably in a better position than anybody else to retain the job,” Dillon told Trinidad and Tobago Newsday.

    “Funny enough I heard about it after one of the (media) guys called me (on Thursday) morning. That’s when I found out about it, which was kind of disappointing because even if it is being advertised I would think I would be one of the first people to be notified,” he added.

    Dillon said the president of the TTCB Azim Bassarath told him on Thursday that he was previously informed that the position would be advertised, he does not, however, recall that conversation.

  • Coronavirus: Australia coach Langer sees merit in games behind closed doors Coronavirus: Australia coach Langer sees merit in games behind closed doors

    Australia coach Justin Langer is open to the idea of playing games behind closed doors once cricket can resume after the coronavirus pandemic.

    Langer watched on as his side emphatically defeated New Zealand in a one-dayer played inside an empty Sydney Cricket Ground last month.

    It was due to be the first of three matches between the trans-Tasman rivals, though the series was cut short due the COVID-19 outbreak as the Black Caps returned home in time to avoid quarantine restrictions.

    While there is no immediate sign of a resumption to the international schedule, staging contests without any supporters could be a viable option in the future.

    "The Australian cricket team are so fortunate to play in front of big crowds every time we play," Langer told BBC Radio 5 Live.

    "But for the love of the game, and for still being able to entertain people through TV sets or radio, then there's value in that (playing behind closed doors).

    "Yes, it's different, but we'll never, ever, ever take for granted how lucky we are, ever again. We are so lucky in what we do."

    Australia are due to play a two-Test series in Bangladesh in June, followed by a limited-overs tour to the United Kingdom that runs into July.

     

  • Coronavirus: Rugby Australia wants fair deal for players after 'positive' talks over pay cuts Coronavirus: Rugby Australia wants fair deal for players after 'positive' talks over pay cuts

    Rugby Australia (RA) declared "good progress" had been made as emergency pay talks with the Rugby Union Players Association (RUPA) continued, though an agreement is yet to be reached between both parties.

    The governing body recently stood down 75 per cent of its workforce for three months - a move described as "the toughest decision in the game's history" - as it deals with the cost of the coronavirus crisis that has halted the Super Rugby season.

    Remaining staff have been offered significant salary reductions or reduced hours, with chief executive Raelene Castle agreeing to a 50 per cent salary cut, while other executives will receive 30 per cent less from April 1 until June 30.

    In a statement, RA said "positive and robust" negotiations were held with RUPA again as they aim to work out a "fair and reasonable" deal for players during the unprecedented circumstances created by the global pandemic.

    "Representatives of Rugby Australia and the Rugby Union Players Association met again today and made good progress in the process of negotiating an emergency and interim pay deal in response to the global COVID-19 crisis," a statement read.

    "Talks were positive and robust, with both parties agreeing to continue to move negotiations forward with ongoing discussions scheduled for this week. 

    "Rugby Australia remains focused on securing a fair and reasonable deal with the players that will help protect the long-term future of our game.

    "We also welcome recent comments by World Rugby as it assists all national unions to navigate through this very difficult time.

    "The players understand that the burden must be shared by everyone in our game and we will look to reach an agreement which is fair and reasonable given the extraordinary circumstances we are in."

    A plan was put in place to start a five-team domestic competition during the suspension of Super Rugby, but that will not happen until the start of May at the earliest.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.