CWI President Ricky Skerritt welcomes the return of Dwayne Bravo

By December 13, 2019

President of Cricket West Indies Ricky Skerritt has welcomed the news that Dwayne Bravo’s has announced that he had ended his retirement from  International Twenty 20 cricket.

Bravo, in a post on social media, that he will be available for West Indies selection, in 2020, the year of the next ICC T20 World Cup in Australia.

“Bravo has the performance track record that should never have been lost from the West Indies cricket talent pool,” the CWI president said.

“One of the reasons Dr Shallow and I sought the presidency was to review the team selection policy to become completely inclusive and to ensure that selection is based strictly on merit and performance readiness.

 “Bravo’s return reminds us what a negative impact politics and pettiness has had on our cricket. The possibility that Bravo, a former West Indies captain, can again be a fierce and formidable all-rounder in his maroon colours, is a welcomed possibility.” 

 CWI’s Director of Cricket, Jimmy Adams also expressed his pleasure at Dwayne’s return for possible selection to International T20 cricket.

 “I am pleased that Dwayne is making himself available for selection for T20 cricket. His considerable experience and proven ability will strengthen the pool of players from which CWI will be able to choose their squads whilst also providing increased competition for places,” Adams said.

 This news of Bravo’s availability will undoubtedly excite many West Indies fans both here in the Caribbean and around the world where they will wait to see if he can add to the 66 T20I appearances he has made in his career.

 In those matches, he has scored 1,142 runs and taken 52 wickets since his first T20I match in 2006. His last game for the West Indies was against Pakistan in September 2016.

 Following the announcement of the new CWI international selection policy in September 2019, selection for West Indies squads is open to all players based on form and performance, fitness, team balance, mental capacity, technical ability, and commitment.

 All players, once eligible and deemed ready by the selection panel will have a fair chance at the selection to the men’s, women’s and youth West Indies teams.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • What would be classified as a success for the West Indies women in the coming World Cup? What would be classified as a success for the West Indies women in the coming World Cup?
  • Deandra Dottin returns to bolster West Indies Women's T20 World Cup squad Deandra Dottin returns to bolster West Indies Women's T20 World Cup squad

    Deandra Dottin has been recalled to the West Indies Women’s team named for the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia from February 21- March 8.

  • Smith to hold 'robust discussion' with Du Plessis over his future Smith to hold 'robust discussion' with Du Plessis over his future

    Graeme Smith plans to have a "robust discussion" with Faf du Plessis on his future after the Test series against England.

    Cricket South Africa on Tuesday announced Quinton de Kock had replaced Du Plessis as ODI captain ahead of the series against the world champions.

    Du Plessis stated the fourth Test against England at the Wanderers, which starts on Friday, could be his last appearance in the longest format on home soil, revealing he may quit after facing West Indies in July and August.

    The batsman had earlier outlined his desire to remain Proteas captain until the T20 World Cup in Australia in October, and Smith wants some clarity over Du Plessis' plans.

    Interim South Africa director of cricket Smith said of the decision to appoint De Kock as ODI captain: "We see Faf playing a role as a player but from a leadership perspective, we felt the need to move on.

    "Faf doesn't see himself being around in 2023. Leadership has been an issue of late in South African cricket and we have made the decision to give Quinny an opportunity.

    "We feel tactically he is good, there are areas of his leadership that we all know we need to grow and develop but he is the right guy at this stage to take the one-day side forward."

    The former Proteas skipper added: "With the World Cup around the corner, we need to go forward.

    "At the moment Faf is in that position but I need to sit with him post this Test series. He has got a bit of time because he is being rested from the one-day series, so we will have some time to have a robust discussion on his future.

    "He is the South African Test captain. The next Test match we play after this series will be in the Caribbean - there is an extensive amount of time. I need to understand how he sees his future in the game."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.