Herath to retire joint-eighth in all-time Test wickets list

By Sports Desk November 08, 2018

Rangana Herath climbed to joint-eighth in the all-time Test wickets list as he bowled for the final time in an international on Thursday.

The Sri Lanka great will retire after the first Test against England in Galle and, coming into the series with 430 wickets, he had some big names in his sights in the historic standings.

But although Herath took three wickets as the hosts struggled to slow Joe Root's England, he could only move ahead of Richard Hadlee (431) and level with Stuart Broad on 433.

Herath at least went out with high-profile scalps, earning his 100th wicket at Galle by removing Root in the first innings, before dismissing the touring skipper again in the second.

Jos Buttler also departed at Herath's hand after England had taken complete control, with the 40-year-old still one wicket behind Indian great Kapil Dev at the close of his international career.

Sri Lanka trailed by 446 runs after seven overs of their second innings as Herath, who scored an unbeaten 14 earlier in the match, prepares to bat for his country for the last time.

Related items

  • Bravo set to rejoin Windies Test squad after two-year absence Bravo set to rejoin Windies Test squad after two-year absence

    Out-of-favour batsman Darren Bravo is set to rejoin the Windies Test team for the first time in two years having been selected for the upcoming series against England.

    The 29-year-old Bravo has often been considered one of the region’s most promising prospects in the game’s longest format, an area that has seen the team struggle mightily in recent years.  Bravo, however, ran afoul of the cricket board in 2016 after a tweet that called CWI president Dave Cameron a ‘big idiot’ surfaced on his Twitter profile during a contract dispute.

    Following talks late last year the way was clear for the player to return to the unit and was recalled to the Windies one-day squad but was yet to be included in the longest format. 

    Bravo is expected to be joined by debutants John Campbell, a 26-year-old left-handed opener from Jamaica, and Shamarh Brooks, the former West Indies Under-19 captain. 

    Windies chairman of selectors Courtney Brown insisted on the back of disappointing tour of Bangladesh that the time was right for changes with the series coming up on home soil.

    "After a difficult Test Series in Bangladesh late last year the opportunity presents itself for our team to pick itself up," said Brown.

     "Although a tough series against England is anticipated, home turf has always been a place where our team has made strides."

  • Darren Bravo back in West Indies Test side for first time since 2016 Darren Bravo back in West Indies Test side for first time since 2016

    Darren Bravo has been recalled to the West Indies squad for the first time since 2016, ahead of the first Test against England.

    Bravo has not played Test cricket since 2016, after a post on his Twitter account called Cricket West Indies president Dave Cameron a "big idiot" in a dispute over a contract.

    The 29-year-old returned to the ODI side in December and will make his 50th Test appearance in the opening clash with England in Bridgetown on January 23.

    Bravo is joined by debutants John Campbell and Shamarh Brooks in the side, while Alzarri Joseph is also back in the fold.

    Oshane Thomas has been called up as cover for Joseph, who is making his comeback from injury.

    "After a difficult Test series in Bangladesh late last year the opportunity presents itself for our team to pick itself up," said chairman of selectors Courtney Browne. 

    "Although a tough series against England is anticipated, home turf has always been a place where our team has made strides.

    "With the return of Darren Bravo, who will add value to a batting department, we expect to see marked improvement.

    "Young, exciting, fast bowler Alzarri Joseph, who was sidelined by injury, returns to the squad and Shamarh Brooks has been elevated for his solid first-class performances over the last three years.

    "John Campbell the incumbent 'A' team opener, who has played first-class cricket for a number of years, will open the batting after a good first-class season in 2018."

     

    West Indies squad: Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Kemar Roach, Jomel Warrican, Oshane Thomas (cover).

  • Ford: People obsess over Farrell fly-half battle Ford: People obsess over Farrell fly-half battle

    George Ford says his battle with Owen Farrell for England's number 10 jersey has become an "obsession" for people outside the England camp over recent years.

    Farrell had generally been utilised as a centre in a system that accommodated both men until he was given a run of matches at fly-half in November, with Ford limited to only one start in the four fixtures – a 35-15 win over Japan at Twickenham.

    With Ford's place in Eddie Jones' first-choice XV now at stake heading into a World Cup year, the perception could be that the rivalry between Ford and Farrell will intensify.

    But Leicester Tigers man Ford insists he will always put the team ahead of his own personal ambitions in pursuit of international success.

    "I think people get a little bit obsessed with it, to be honest," Ford told Omnisport, speaking on behalf of Land Rover at an off-road driving event.

    "I think at the end of the day we want to both be part of a successful England team and that's what we're going to try and do because selection is up to Eddie and the coaches and whatever our roles are within that, we'll do it to the best of our ability. Because we want to be successful and we want to be a successful English team.

    "I think we'll both try and improve and develop our games for ourselves but also for the good of the team as well so we can win games."

    England were shock fifth-place finishers in last season's Six Nations and begin this year's championship in Dublin on February 2 against an Ireland side who completed the Grand Slam with victory at Twickenham in 2018.

    "We don't want that [finishing fifth] to happen again," he continued. "I think from campaign to campaign. After that we went to from the South African tour [a 2-1 series defeat] to the autumn, we became tighter as a group and we took certain aspects of our game to a new level.

    "We feel like we're improving and getting better but also feel there's a fair amount to go in terms of how good we can be. It's exciting for us as a team and we'll take each game as it comes in this campaign."

    On England's Six Nations opener against Ireland, England team-mate Maro Itoje added: "It's going to be a great game.

    "I'm sure it's going to be a very dramatic game, two teams going at it and trying to get the result for their respective nation. It's going to be great.

    "As a player, hopefully I am looking forward to be part of it, and as an England fan as well, I'm looking forward to watching it back."

    George Ford and Maro Itoje are Land Rover ambassadors. Land Rover has a heritage in rugby, sharing and understanding the values of the sport. @LandRoverRugby

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

#Dinwiddie sinks 3-pointer from half-court logo! More #NBA 🏀 tonight as #Curry and the #Warriors play #Jokic and t… https://t.co/vrV7hn5UD8
#StephCurry dropped 48 pts including ELEVEN threes as the #Warriors triumphed over #Doncic and the #Mavs in #NBA🏀 a… https://t.co/kzRSYMwDUh
#Simeone reacts to #AtleticoMadrid win on Sunday. More #LaLiga continues today! Watch all season long LIVE via the… https://t.co/61EuUlY8yE
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.