ECB 'disgusted and appalled' by reporting of Stokes' family tragedy

By Sports Desk September 17, 2019

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) was "disgusted and appalled" by The Sun's reporting of a tragic family incident from Ben Stokes' past.

The newspaper published an article on Tuesday depicting alleged events that took place three years before Stokes was born, which he described via Twitter as "heartless" and "totally out of order".

Stokes claimed the story contained "serious inaccuracies" and "has grave and lifelong consequences" for his mother.

ECB CEO Tom Harrison said in a statement: "We, like the wider sporting world, are disgusted and appalled at the actions taken in revealing the tragic events from Ben's past.

"We are saddened that an intrusion of this magnitude was deemed necessary in order to sell newspapers or secure clicks.

"Ben's exploits this summer have cemented his place in cricket's history – we are sure the whole sport, and the country, stands behind him in support."

Stokes played a key role in England's Cricket World Cup triumph in July and a month later made a sensational 135 not out to secure a thrilling one-wicket victory over Australia in the third Ashes Test at Headingley.

Related items

  • Hudson-Odoi supports England team stance on racist abuse Hudson-Odoi supports England team stance on racist abuse

    Callum Hudson-Odoi has supported the idea of walking off the pitch as a team in response to racist abuse at football grounds.

    The Chelsea winger suffered abuse on his first start for the Three Lions in Montenegro last May which he described as "evil" at the time.

    The 18-year-old is hoping to force his way into the Gareth Southgate’s Euro 2020 squad as he makes his way back from an Achilles injury suffered last season.

    Hudson-Odoi scored twice in a 5-1 win for England’s under-21s against Austria on Tuesday and said he was proud of the solidarity shown by the senior players and coaching staff when questioned about the unsavoury scenes in Bulgaria.

    "It’s disgusting to hear or see players getting discriminated against," he told reporters.

    "It’s not right. I say to myself whenever that happens you have to stick together as a team, which the boys did.

    "I am really proud to see the boys stick together in those situations where they say they would walk off the pitch. It is right because no player should be treated differently.

    "We’re all equal and it’s an equal game, so we have got to stay strong. Hopefully everything will be sorted out properly by UEFA."

  • Liverpool's Alexander-Arnold officially enters Guinness World Records book for assists Liverpool's Alexander-Arnold officially enters Guinness World Records book for assists

    Liverpool full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold has officially entered the Guinness World Record book for his haul of 12 assists in the Premier League last season.

    The 21-year-old became an undisputed starter at right-back in the 2018-19 campaign, featuring 29 times as the Reds narrowly missed out on the Premier League title to Manchester City.

    Alexander-Arnold's performances earned him a place in the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) Premier League Team of the Year and he has also become a regular at international level for England.

    His effectiveness in the final third has drawn most acclaim and his remarkable haul of 12 assists is a new record for a defender in the Premier League, going one better than his team-mate Andy Robertson, who managed 11 in the same season.

    Alexander-Arnold, who also shone in Europe to help Liverpool win the Champions League, described it as "an unbelievably proud moment" to have surpassed the record previously held jointly by Everton duo Andy Hinchcliffe (1994-95) and Leighton Baines (2010-11).

    "He [Robertson] probably thought he had the competition wrapped up! Near the end of the season we both hit really good form, we were both getting lots of assists and it was good to help the team in those games that we needed to win," Alexander-Arnold said after being presented with his accolade.

    "It's an honour. I've always wanted to go forward and help the team to create as many chances as possible.

    "It's obviously down to the lads to put the ball into the back of the net, because football is a team game and without them this record wouldn't be possible.

    "It's an unbelievably proud moment for me and my family, and something I hope will stand for a few years."

  • Bravo dropped from West Indies Test squad, Walsh called up for T20s and ODIs Bravo dropped from West Indies Test squad, Walsh called up for T20s and ODIs

    Darren Bravo has been left out of West Indies' squad for the one-off Test with Afghanistan, while spinner Hayden Walsh has been called up for the one-day internationals and Twenty20s.

    Phil Simmons, who on Monday was appointed as coach for a second time, will be in charge for a trio of Twenty20s, three ODIs and a Test, which take place in India next month.

    The squads for the three formats were revealed on Tuesday and Bravo will not feature in the Test match having managed a combined 47 with the bat across four innings against India in August.

    Alzarri Joseph, Shane Dowrich, Sunil Ambris and Jomel Warrican have been brought in, with Shannon Gabriel missing out through injury and wicketkeeper Jahmar Hamilton omitted.

    Leg-break bowler Walsh, who has represented the United States in both ODIs and T20s this year, has received a first West Indies call-up for the limited-overs squads.

    He has been rewarded for taking 22 wickets for the Barbados Tridents at the Caribbean Premier League, while opener Brandon King, the competition's leading scorer, has also been included.

    Kieron Pollard will captain the team for the ODIs and T20s, but Chris Gayle remains absent despite having made a U-turn over his retirement.

     

    West Indies Test squad: Jason Holder (captain), Shai Hope, John Campbell, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shimron Hetmyer, Shamarh Brooks, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Sunil Ambris, Jomel Warrican, Rahkeem Cornwall, Kemar Roach, Keemo Paul, Alzarri Joseph.

    ODI squad: Kieron Pollard (captain), Shai Hope, Evin Lewis, Shimron Hetmyer, Sunil Ambris, Nicholas Pooran, Brandon King, Roston Chase, Jason Holder, Hayden Walsh, Khary Pierre, Sheldon Cottrell, Keemo Paul, Alzarri Joseph, Romario Shepherd.

    T20 squad: Kieron Pollard (captain), Nicholas Pooran, Evin Lewis, Shimron Hetmyer, Sherfane Rutherford, Brandon King, Fabian Allen, Jason Holder, Hayden Walsh, Lendl Simmons, Khary Pierre, Sheldon Cottrell, Denesh Ramdin, Kesrick Williams, Alzarri Joseph.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.