issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

Ludlow Bernard gives all credit to gritty KC players

By December 01, 2018
Kingston College players ahead of their title-winning game against St George's College in the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup on Saturday night. Kingston College players ahead of their title-winning game against St George's College in the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup on Saturday night.

Kingston College head coach, Ludlow Bernard, the man who brought the Manning Cup title back to North Street for the first time in 32 years, has asked that everybody look to the players for all the accolades that should come with breaking a long, long losing streak for the former football kingpins.

Bernard oversaw a massive final that also doubled as a North Street Derby with neighbours, St George’s College. The game included five goals and had all the drama and plot twists of good final, with KC coming from behind twice to earn a hard-fought 3-2 win.

“A little birdie told me today that coach you’re going to have to work for this one. A lot of goals are going to be scored and you’re going to have to play catch up,” Bernard told SportsMax’s Shawana Ebanks after the game.

“I have a bunch of boys who are full of fortitude. They told me when they were down 2-1. My captain said to me, ‘coach, wi goin’ win it’,” said a more-animated-than-usual Bernard.

Bernard singled out Nathan Thomas for praise, saying he was going to substitute him but found an obstinate player demanding that he remain on the field.

“I was going to take off Nathan Thomas and he said, ‘no coach, don’t take me off. Believe in me. Believe in me.’ And he scored the winning goal. That man neva score a goal yet!,” said Bernard.

“I have a bunch of boys who are full of fortitude. They told me when they were down 2-1. My captain said to me, ‘coach, wi goin’ win it’. We are not going to lose this.”

Bernard said even as his spirits waivered, the boys remained full of belief and for that, all credit should go to them.

“’We owe you this one’,” Bernard said his charges told him.

“I must take my hat off to these boys. They won it. They said they wanted it and they delivered and that was what the brave is made of.”

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Jamaica mourns as former daCosta Cup player murdered Jamaica mourns as former daCosta Cup player murdered

    The Jamaican football fraternity was plunged into mourning earlier this week when a former player from Cornwall College, a dominant team in the country’s rural area schoolboy football competition, the DaCosta Cup was murdered.

    Dead is 22-year-old Leonardo Murray,now a customer service representative on the Western side of the island, Montego Bay.

    According to reports, Murray was in a vehicle that was sprayed with bullets, killing him and injuring a 36-year-old woman who is set to surivive the attack.

    Another former Cornwall College student, Craig Oates, remembers Murray, otherwise known as ‘Nardo’, as a talented player and wondered about somebody killing him.

    “It is yet another sad chapter in the life of Montego Bay. It is hard to understand why anyone would kill a promising youngster like this,” said Oates in The Observer, a Jamaican newspaper.

    According to eyewitness reports, Murray was in a Toyota Voxy when another vehicle pulled up beside it. A man exited the vehicle and fired a number of rounds before the Voxy drove off and crashed.

    The shooter, apparently hopped back into his vehicle and drove away.

    The police were called and found Murray and his female companion suffering from gunshot wounds.

    The two were rushed to the Cornwall Regional Hospital where Murray was pronounced dead and the woman was admitted in serious condition.

  • Atletico Madrid's Joao Felix set for spell out with sprained ankle ligament Atletico Madrid's Joao Felix set for spell out with sprained ankle ligament

    Joao Felix is set for a spell on the sidelines after Atletico Madrid confirmed he suffered a grade two sprain to a right ankle ligament against Valencia.

    Portugal international Joao Felix, who joined Atletico in a €126million transfer from Benfica in the close season, limped out of Saturday's 1-1 LaLiga draw at the Wanda Metropolitano with 10 minutes remaining.

    The 19-year-old appeared to twist his ankle in a challenge with Dani Parejo and left Diego Simeone's side down to 10 men, having used all three of their substitutions.

    Atleti boss Simeone acknowledged in his post-match news conference that Joao Felix's injury "could be serious" and scans have confirmed a grade two sprain of the external lateral ligament.

    "Joao Felix underwent an X-ray and MRI scan at the Clinica Universidad de Navarra on Saturday and the report indicates he suffered a grade two sprain of the external lateral ligament of the right ankle," Atleti stated on their website.

    It remains to be seen how long the teenager will be out for, though reports suggest he will miss a minimum of two weeks.

    Joao Felix could consequently be forced to sit out matches against Bayer Leverkusen, Athletic Bilbao, Deportivo Alaves and Sevilla.

    Since his club-record move to Atleti, the forward has scored two goals and providing one assist in LaLiga.

  • Dijon draw leaves Lyon on 42-year low in Ligue 1 Dijon draw leaves Lyon on 42-year low in Ligue 1

    A goalless draw with Dijon means Lyon are enduring their worst Ligue 1 run of form in terms of wins since 1977.

    Les Gones have drawn four and lost four of their past eight league games, marking the first time in 42 years they have gone such a stretch without a win in the same season.

    Lyon managed 24 shots to Dijon's six on Saturday but could not find a breakthrough, meaning they are just a point above the bottom three after 10 matches this term.

    Since a 6-0 thrashing of Angers on August 16, their only victory in any competition was the surprise 2-0 away defeat of RB Leipzig in the Champions League on October 2.

    A 1-0 loss to rivals Saint-Etienne led to the departure of head coach Sylvinho, with Rudi Garcia named as his replacement on Monday.

    Garcia's past opening league matches in charge of a Ligue 1 team in have ended in 0-0 draws. His Lille side were held at home by Nancy in August 2008, and Marseille drew with Paris Saint-Germain in October 2016.

    Lyon head to Benfica in the Champions League on Wednesday before they host bottom-of-the-table Metz next weekend.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.