issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

BB Coke make history with Ben Francis title

By November 30, 2019

BB Coke High School are the ISSA Ben Francis Cup champions, lifting the trophy for the first time in their history courtesy of a 4-2 penalty-shootout win over Garvey Maceo at the Montego Bay Sports Complex in St James on Saturday.

The two sides played to an enthralling 2-2 draw in regular time after Jason Dyer (33rd minute) and Christopher Nelson (47th) notched goals for BB Coke only to be answered in kind by Marvin Williams (55th) and captain Jermaine Muirhead (87th).

BB Coke joined St Catherine High School as first-time winners of schoolboy football honours after the latter were 3-2 winners over Excelsior High School in the ISSA Walker Cup competition on Friday.

BB Coke’s players displayed nerves of steel to stay perfect through four penalty kicks, while Garvey Maceo’s nerves showed, missing their second and third spots.

In truth, BB Coke could have won the game quite early after Nelson’s 47th-minute effort put daylight between themselves and Garvey Maceo, but the latter were not ready to quit just yet.

With less than a half to play, Garvey Maceo went on all-out attack and were rewarded when Williams scored with more than half an hour to go to get back into the game.

BB Coke tried to defend their one-goal lead and maybe that was a mistake as an onslaught from Garvey Maceo led to an 87th-minute goal that could have changed the outcome of the final.

Tonight, influential Garvey Maceo player, Barrington Blake must be cursing his luck as he, more than anyone else, could have put his team’s collective hands on the trophy after he stepped up to take a 90th-minute penalty, but it wasn’t to be.

His penalty miss on the stroke of full time was prophetic since the team from May Pen in Clarendon were destined to wind up on the losing side of a shootout a few minutes later.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Fati will get more starts if he keeps developing - Setien Fati will get more starts if he keeps developing - Setien

    Ansu Fati will get more starting opportunities "as long as he keeps developing", Quique Setien said after Barcelona's Copa del Rey escape against Ibiza.

    Setien rested the likes of Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets and Gerard Pique for Wednesday's visit to the Segunda B club, who took a surprise lead after nine minutes against LaLiga's leaders.

    An incredible upset appeared on the cards until Antoine Griezmann equalised in the 72nd minute and then netted the winner in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

    Fati, 17, burst onto the scene with goals against Osasuna and Valencia earlier in the season and scored the winner at Inter in the Champions League last month, but contributed little to the 2-1 victory in Ibiza.

    Despite his lack of influence on the contest, Fati will be provided with more chances to prove himself by Setien.

    "The first thing we are doing is seeing the players in different positions," Setien told reporters.

    "[Fati] has a lot of talent. We will see how he progresses. He will get more starting time as long as he keeps developing."

    Setien was far from satisfied with Barca's performance, adding: "I did not like the team. I would have preferred things another way.

    "But in a stadium like this, it is harder. They were aggressive and intense in defence. It has not been easy. 

    "I would have loved for us to have been more precise and to have played better. But from here we will take away conclusions for the future. 

    "It is when you do things badly that you can improve."

  • Who has a lot of chances against Reims? – Tuchel content with hard-earned Paris Saint-Germain win Who has a lot of chances against Reims? – Tuchel content with hard-earned Paris Saint-Germain win

    Thomas Tuchel did not expect a free-flowing Paris Saint-Germain display against Reims but was satisfied with his team's display as the Ligue 1 leaders booked their place in the Coupe de la Ligue final.

    PSG were 3-0 winners at Stade Auguste-Delaune on Wednesday, with Marquinhos opening the scoring prior to a Ghislain Konan own goal – substitute Nianzou Kouassi rounding off the win with what was the capital club's 4,000th competitive goal.

    Lyon await in April's final, as PSG look to claim their ninth Coupe de la Ligue title. Though it was far from a vintage display, head coach Tuchel had no problems with his side scrapping it out at times against Reims, who have had the best defence in Ligue 1 so far this term.

    "We made the efforts defensively, it was necessary. Who has a lot of chances against Reims? Nobody," Tuchel told Canal+.

    "We took advantage of the set-pieces, it is part of the game, and we found a little more space in the second half. We played with seriousness, patience and efficiency, that's good."

    Marquinhos was a star performer for PSG, though he was forced off midway through the second half with a problem that Tuchel confirmed is a recurrence of the groin injury which kept him out of the previous two matches against Lorient and Monaco.

    "Marquinhos? He felt something, I hope it's not too serious, it's the same area that is affected," Tuchel added.

    Presnel Kimpembe partnered Marquinhos at the back and the France international believes a meeting with Lyon will prove to be a fitting finale for the Coupe de la Ligue, which has been scrapped ahead of next season.

    "It was not an easy match but we were able to play with quality, desire, and hold the score until the end," Kimpembe told Canal+.

    "It was complicated, but the most important thing was qualifying. A final against Lyon – I don't know if it's the dream final, but it's a great poster!"

  • Championship: Promotion hopefuls Fulham and Forest held to draws Championship: Promotion hopefuls Fulham and Forest held to draws

    Fulham missed the chance to move within a point of second-placed Leeds United as they were held to a goalless draw by Charlton Athletic, while fellow Championship promotion hopefuls Nottingham Forest drew 1-1 at home to Reading.

    Third-placed Fulham went into the game having won their previous two league matches by a solitary goal but failed to find a way past Charlton, who secured manager Lee Bowyer on a new three-year contract earlier in the day.

    Joe Bryan went close to giving the Cottagers the lead when he connected with Tom Cairney's pass and flashed a shot narrowly wide of Dillon Phillips' goal midway through the first half.

    Bowyer's men had chances of their own, and substitute Jonny Williams looked set to score the winner in a spell of late Addicks pressure until Cyrus Christie made a vital interception to keep the ball from reaching him at point-blank range.

    Forest were unbeaten in five Championship games heading into their clash with Reading and looked set to make it five wins in six when Lewis Grabban scored his 16th league goal of the season.

    The 32-year-old forward collected the ball after a scuffed shot from Sammy Ameobi at the back post and tucked the ball into an empty net, but the hosts' lead was short-lived - just as in the sides' previous 1-1 draw 11 days earlier.

    Three minutes after Grabban's opener, Sam Baldock held the ball up on the edge of the Forest six-yard box and turned before unleashing a shot that beat Brice Samba for power.

    The draw left Forest fourth, a point behind Fulham and four points outside the automatic promotion places, while Reading moved up to 15th.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.