Bailey will not leave in January, Leverkusen insist

By Sports Desk November 07, 2018

Leon Bailey will not be leaving Bayer Leverkusen in January despite a host of Europe's top clubs courting the 21-year-old winger.

Bailey has emerged as one of the hottest young prospects in world football over the past 12 months, with nine Bundesliga goals to his name in 2017-18 as Leverkusen finished fifth.

He has struggled to make a similar impact this term but his future remains the topic of speculation, with Premier League giants Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea all reportedly showing an interest.

Roma were also linked with Bailey but Leverkusen have repeatedly stated that no offers were made for the forward, and he penned a new deal at the BayArena in August.

That ties him to the club until 2023, although sporting director Jonas Boldt accepts he is likely to depart before then.

However, that will not be during the next transfer window as Leverkusen look to improve on their disappointing start to the 2018-19 league campaign that has seen them take just 11 points from 10 matches, leaving them 13th.

"We all know that Leon will eventually go," Boldt told Bild.

"But we have made it clear that a winter change is out of the question. He also knows that he has our backing."

Bailey will look to open his European account for Leverkusen on Thursday when they host Zurich in Group A.

Related items

  • Kimmich 'perfect' for Barcelona, says Xavi Kimmich 'perfect' for Barcelona, says Xavi

    Barcelona legend Xavi believes Bayern Munich star Joshua Kimmich would fit perfectly at Camp Nou.

    The versatile 23-year-old has established himself as first-choice right-back at Bayern since moving from RB Leipzig in 2015, helping ease the impact of Phillip Lahm's retirement in 2017.

    Like Lahm, Kimmich can operate at full-back and in midfield, roles he grew into under the guidance of Pep Guardiola.

    Kimmich has started all 17 of Bayern's Bundesliga matches this season and has been an ever-present in their progression to the Champions League knockout stages.

    His importance to Bayern means they would be unlikely to sell, but Xavi says Kimmich would be a great acquisition for his former club Barca.

    "I spoke to Pep Guardiola, my ex-coach from Barcelona, about him," Xavi told Sport Bild at a media day in Doha.

    "I had never heard of him before. [But] since that day, I have followed his career.

    "Joshua is the present and future of Bayern and the German national team. And he can play in any position.

    "He would be the perfect player for Barcelona.

    "In my career, I have always kept my eyes open to find players who would suit Barca. As Philipp Lahm could, Joshua Kimmich without problems [could] play at Barcelona, that would fit well."

  • We are in talks with Chelsea – Salihamidzic reiterates interest in Hudson-Odoi We are in talks with Chelsea – Salihamidzic reiterates interest in Hudson-Odoi

    Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic is "fully convinced" by Callum Hudon-Odoi's quality and claims talks between themselves and Chelsea are ongoing.

    German champions Bayern have been strongly linked with Hudson-Odoi over the last month, with the 18-year-old winger said to be frustrated about a lack of opportunities with Chelsea.

    While he has been used in cup competitions, Hudson-Odoi has played only twice in the Premier League.

    Bayern have not made any secret of their interest, with Maurizio Sarri calling their open pursuit "not professional".

    Salihamidzic has already said he believes Hudson-Odoi's qualities would fit in at Bayern and has now told Sport Bild: "We want to sign the player. I am fully convinced of his abilities, we are in talks with Chelsea.

    "Both [end-of-season signing Benjamin Pavard and Hudson-Odoi] are not finished players yet, but we have many leaders in our team, that's why it would not be a problem if no player came in the transfer window.

    "We have to find a good mix between young talents and experienced leadership players."

    Bayern have also been linked with Atletico Madrid defender Lucas Hernandez, and while Salihamidzic says more talks will be held, he does not think anyone should expect his arrival in January.

    "We've already had talks, There will be more," Salihamidzic said. "That he comes in winter is unrealistic."

  • Barcelona? I can't say anything - Stuani Barcelona? I can't say anything - Stuani

    Girona forward Cristhian Stuani was non-committal when asked about speculation linking him with LaLiga champions Barcelona.

    Stuani, 32, has reportedly emerged as a target for leaders Barca following his 12 goals for Girona this season.

    The Uruguay international's LaLiga tally is the best return from a player outside of Barca pair Lionel Messi (17) and Luis Suarez (14).

    Quizzed about a looming switch to Camp Nou, Stuani – who reportedly has a €15million release clause – told reporters: "I can't say anything."

    Girona – ninth in LaLiga – face Atletico Madrid in the second leg of their Copa del Rey last-16 fixture on Wednesday, before travelling to Real Betis four days later.

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

#Dinwiddie sinks 3-pointer from half-court logo! More #NBA 🏀 tonight as #Curry and the #Warriors play #Jokic and t… https://t.co/vrV7hn5UD8
#StephCurry dropped 48 pts including ELEVEN threes as the #Warriors triumphed over #Doncic and the #Mavs in #NBA🏀 a… https://t.co/kzRSYMwDUh
#Simeone reacts to #AtleticoMadrid win on Sunday. More #LaLiga continues today! Watch all season long LIVE via the… https://t.co/61EuUlY8yE
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.