EPL

Everton handed academy transfer ban by Premier League

By Sports Desk November 08, 2018

Everton have been banned from signing academy players who have been registered with another Premier League or EFL club in the preceding 18 months for two years after breaching recruitment rules.

The suspension comes after Everton admitted to the Premier League that academy staff had offered inducements to a player and his family to encourage him to register with the club, with a subsequent inquiry revealing similar breaches had taken place in relation to six other academy players.

A statement from the Premier League read: "The Premier League has sanctioned Everton FC for breaching Academy player recruitment rules.
 
"The Premier League received evidence alleging that Everton Academy staff offered inducements to a player and his family to encourage the player to register with the club. When presented with this information, Everton immediately admitted the allegations and set up its own internal inquiry which established that similar misconduct had occurred in relation to six other Academy players.
 
"In certain cases, it was found that the club provided false information to the League when questions had previously been raised about the circumstances in which Academy players registered with the club.
 
"The club will pay a fine of £500,000 and will be banned for two years from registering any Academy player who has been registered with another Premier League or EFL club in the preceding 18 months. The club will also pay additional compensation payments to the former clubs of two Academy players."

In response Everton said in a statement: "Everton has worked alongside the Premier League over recent weeks to conduct a full and thorough investigation into allegations relating to our Academy's operational methods in some areas of player recruitment.

"In short, we are extremely disappointed with some of the practices we have found which are not in line with our values and not acceptable to Everton Football Club. Accordingly, we have accepted the penalties imposed on us by the Premier League and have given them our strongest apologies.

"We have already commenced a full review of our Academy operations and are committed to ensuring that issues like this do not happen again at Everton."

Related items

  • This Liverpool isn't a team of chokers – Mane This Liverpool isn't a team of chokers – Mane

    Sadio Mane is convinced Liverpool will end their long wait for the title this season and is adamant they are not a team of "chokers".

    Liverpool have not won England's top-flight crown for 29 years, seeing bitter rivals Manchester United overtake them as the division's most successful club in the process.

    The Reds went close to Premier League success for the first time since its 1992 inception in 2013-14, but a 2-0 home defeat to Chelsea ultimately proved crucial, as Manchester City capitalised on that result to go on and lift the trophy.

    With 22 matches played this term, Liverpool are top of the table and have a four-point cushion ahead of defending champions City.

    Jurgen Klopp's men have lost just once – at the Etihad Stadium on January 3 – and Mane is confident they will cope with the pressure this time around.

    "This is not a team of chokers. I am sure we will be champions of England," the Senegal star told reporters.

    "When I wake up, I don't go to the training ground thinking we will not win. We are determined to show we are the best team in the league.

    "It is not easy to hear people accuse the team of being chokers, but we have to ignore it and focus on what is in front of us.

    "Liverpool had the chance to win it a few years ago and did not do it but I prefer to think it helped to bring us where we are now. This is not a team of chokers. I am sure we will win the league."

     

  • Spurs' Aurier arrested on suspicion of assault, released without charge Spurs' Aurier arrested on suspicion of assault, released without charge

    Tottenham defender Serge Aurier was released without charge after being arrested on suspicion of assault over the weekend.

    Spurs, who lost 1-0 to Manchester United at Wembley on Sunday with Aurier not in the squad, confirmed to Omnisport that the full-back was released by police without any further action being taken.

    Hertfordshire police's statement read: "A 26-year-old man from Brookmans Park was arrested on suspicion of ABH [Actual Bodily Harm] and has been released with no further action."

    A Spurs spokesman said: "We are aware of an incident concerning Serge Aurier this weekend and it is important to make clear he was released without any charge."

  • We are in talks with Chelsea – Salihamidzic reiterates interest in Hudson-Odoi We are in talks with Chelsea – Salihamidzic reiterates interest in Hudson-Odoi

    Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic is "fully convinced" by Callum Hudon-Odoi's quality and claims talks between themselves and Chelsea are ongoing.

    German champions Bayern have been strongly linked with Hudson-Odoi over the last month, with the 18-year-old winger said to be frustrated about a lack of opportunities with Chelsea.

    While he has been used in cup competitions, Hudson-Odoi has played only twice in the Premier League.

    Bayern have not made any secret of their interest, with Maurizio Sarri calling their open pursuit "not professional".

    Salihamidzic has already said he believes Hudson-Odoi's qualities would fit in at Bayern and has now told Sport Bild: "We want to sign the player. I am fully convinced of his abilities, we are in talks with Chelsea.

    "Both [end-of-season signing Benjamin Pavard and Hudson-Odoi] are not finished players yet, but we have many leaders in our team, that's why it would not be a problem if no player came in the transfer window.

    "We have to find a good mix between young talents and experienced leadership players."

    Bayern have also been linked with Atletico Madrid defender Lucas Hernandez, and while Salihamidzic says more talks will be held, he does not think anyone should expect his arrival in January.

    "We've already had talks, There will be more," Salihamidzic said. "That he comes in winter is unrealistic."

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

#Dinwiddie sinks 3-pointer from half-court logo! More #NBA 🏀 tonight as #Curry and the #Warriors play #Jokic and t… https://t.co/vrV7hn5UD8
#StephCurry dropped 48 pts including ELEVEN threes as the #Warriors triumphed over #Doncic and the #Mavs in #NBA🏀 a… https://t.co/kzRSYMwDUh
#Simeone reacts to #AtleticoMadrid win on Sunday. More #LaLiga continues today! Watch all season long LIVE via the… https://t.co/61EuUlY8yE
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.