Guardiola speaks out on UEFA's FFP probe into Manchester City

By Sports Desk December 04, 2018

Pep Guardiola says he has full trust in Manchester City's operations as he waits for UEFA to conclude an investigation into the club's alleged Financial Fair Play breaches.

There have been suggestions that City could be banned from next season's Champions League if they are found guilty of circumventing FFP regulations.

German magazine Der Spiegel made a number of claims against City last month, based on documents purportedly obtained from whistleblowing platform Football Leaks, which allegedly show the Premier League champions contravened rules on how much money owners are allowed to put into a club.

City dismissed the claims, insisting "the attempt to damage the club's reputation is organised and clear".

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said this week that Europe's governing body was "assessing the situation" around City, adding: "We have an independent body working on it. Very soon you will have an answer on what will happen in this concrete case."

Speaking after his side's 2-1 win at Watford on Tuesday, Guardiola underlined his hopes for a swift resolution.

"UEFA is doing what it is doing. If it found something, the club will make a statement and I like that because we'll know exactly how we're going to finish," he said.

"If there's something regular, we'll know it. If we did something not regular, the people can finish to talk about [it].

"I trust a lot in my club, in our organisation. If something is wrong, they are going to tell us."

City's win at Vicarage Road came thanks to goals from Leroy Sane and Riyad Mahrez, although the result was placed under threat when Abdoulaye Doucoure scrambled home in the 85th minute.

Guardiola urged his players to learn from the scare after they had controlled the majority of the match.

"In the last minutes, anything could have happened, but we played 65, 70 minutes at a top, top level, so aggressive. We had many, many chances," he said.

"Last season, we won against Southampton [in the] 95th minute and West Ham [in] the last minute. That's football: you can't expect when you're away and you don't score the third goal and concede one that you don't suffer.

"Anything can happen in this kind of game but, okay, in general, three quarters of the game was good.

"You can never forget to play. Until the last second, [when] the referee decides to go home, you have to play and play and play."

Sergio Aguero again missed the game due to injury, and Guardiola conceded he is not yet sure if the striker will be fit for Saturday's trip to Chelsea.

"I don't know right now. Tomorrow [Wednesday], they're going to tell me," he said.

However, the 47-year-old calmed any fears that captain Vincent Kompany was injured in the second half, saying: "It was cramp. He's okay."

Related items

  • Koke: VAR will give Morata a goal one day Koke: VAR will give Morata a goal one day

    Koke said the VAR will give Alvaro Morata a goal "one day" after the Atletico Madrid forward had his header ruled out by the video assistant referee in the Champions League victory over Juventus.

    Morata thought he had opened his Atletico account in Wednesday's 2-0 last 16 first-leg triumph at home to Juventus in Madrid, however, the VAR intervened in the second half.

    The 26-year-old, who was denied by the VAR in the LaLiga derby loss to Real Madrid on February 9, headed past Wojciech Szczesny and celebrated passionately but a review found he had pushed Giorgio Chiellini.

    Morata is yet to score since arriving from Premier League side Chelsea on an 18-month loan deal last month and asked about the Spaniard post-match, Atletico midfielder Koke told reporters: "In the end, VAR will one day give Morata a goal.

    "He has scored two goals that have been cancelled. If they cancel it, sometimes it is a goal and sometimes it is not. You have to respect the decisions. We respect the referees and we continue with the dynamic of trying to win games and score more goals in case they are cancelled."

    Defensive duo Jose Gimenez and Diego Godin were the unlikely goalscorers for Atletico at Wanda Metropolitano.

    Atletico were unfortunate not to end the match with a greater advantage after Diego Costa spurned a golden opportunity early in the second half and Antoine Griezmann saw his shot pushed onto the crossbar by Szczesny.

    "Very happy for the victory but there isn't anything done," Koke said. "We know about Juventus' quality, their potential... they're one of the best teams in the world. We are happy with the result but nothing is decided yet. It is gonna be a great battle in Turin, like a war. We'll need a perfect game to get through.

    "Juventus are one of the best in the world, and you should never presume an Italian team dead, and neither Juventus. We are going to try to compete, to make a perfect game, as we did today, to be able to get through"

    It proved to be a frustrating evening for former Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, who was seen gesturing during and after the match.

    Ronaldo held up his hands to indicate the five Champions League titles he has won – four with Madrid and one with Manchester United – on the pitch and when he walked through the mixed zone.

    "On the field I did not see anything," Koke added. "Maybe he was greeting someone. If you have five Champions League titles, then congratulate him. We cannot say anything else either."

  • Ronaldo had a good game – Allegri backs Juventus star Ronaldo had a good game – Allegri backs Juventus star

    Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri defended Cristiano Ronaldo after the forward's subdued display in a 2-0 loss to Atletico Madrid on Wednesday.

    Late goals from Jose Gimenez and Diego Godin gave Atletico a deserved win in the first leg of the Champions League last-16 tie at the Wanda Metropolitano.

    Ronaldo had just one shot on target – of Juve's three – and Godin's goal deflected in off him in the 83rd minute.

    But Allegri backed the 34-year-old's performance and said the clash would be beneficial heading into the second leg in Turin on March 12.

    "Ronaldo played a good game," he told a news conference.

    "He is confident with these kinds of matches. He was not bad at all.

    "We missed all the second half as a team. And this match will be useful looking forward to the second leg."

  • Reggae Boyz hoping for Argentina clash Reggae Boyz hoping for Argentina clash

    President of the Jamaica Football Federation Michael Ricketts said he has hopes of arranging a match between the Reggae Boyz and two-time World Cup champions Argentina in the near future.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.