Oxlade-Chamberlain: It's like Champions League triumph didn't happen for Liverpool

By Sports Desk August 22, 2019

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain says it is like Liverpool's Champions League success did not happen as the team are so hungry for more trophies.

Jurgen Klopp's side triumphed against Premier League rivals Tottenham to be crowned kings of Europe for the sixth time in the club's glittering history.

Oxlade-Chamberlain missed the vast majority of the 2018-19 season due to a serious knee injury but he signed a new long-term deal, reported to run to 2023, on Thursday.

The England midfielder feels the desire for further silverware is fuelling Liverpool, who have won their opening two Premier League fixtures as well as clinching UEFA Super Cup glory against Chelsea.

"I think it is obvious to see the team is progressing. Even when we're not playing well, we still manage to grind out results and that's a really positive thing," Oxlade-Chamberlain told Liverpool's official website.

"In times when we are playing well, it sort of speaks for itself, we thrive and we have the ability to steamroll teams. From the outside, it would look like a really good time to sign – and I can speak even more from the inside about how good the group of lads is.

"It is a really, really good group of players, not only talent but characters and how much everyone respects each other. The manager and the coaches, the backroom staff, they're all a massive part of it. The whole set-up, the structure, is perfect at the moment.

"Last year was the first sign of that going in the right direction with the Champions League. Now, in a weird way, it is almost like it didn't happen, but I think that's credit to everyone around the building – everyone is hungry for the next thing and what's next.

"That's the right attitude to have to go on and be more successful and go on to win more things. That's the plan, hopefully we can follow it through and win some more things."

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is similarly thrilled to have Oxlade-Chamberlain commit his future to Anfield.

"When I heard Ox had signed his new contract with us, I am sure my emotions were the same as every Liverpool fan hearing the news tonight – absolutely delighted," Klopp said.

"This is because an absolutely outstanding player and person has shown his belief and commitment to our project here and it's a deal I think makes sense on both sides.

"I think Ox has said himself it feels to him like he has been here a lot longer than he actually has and that is something I would agree with. I think that's down to his personality around the place here at Melwood.

"I have said in the past, one of the best things about him is what an outstanding human being he is, one of the nicest guys you will meet. Of course, he is also an outstandingly talented footballer, too."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Messi and Ronaldo to join forces at Inter Miami? Rumour Has It: Messi and Ronaldo to join forces at Inter Miami?

    After dominating European football for over a decade, could Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo shelve their rivalry and come together as team-mates?

    David Beckham might be the man to make it happen.

    The former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder appears to have ambitious plans for his new MLS franchise.

     

    TOP STORY – MESSI, RONALDO WANTED AT INTER MIAMI

    Barcelona captain Messi, 32, and Juventus talisman Ronaldo, 35, will end their careers on the same side if Inter Miami co-owner Beckham gets his wish, according to the Mirror.

    The newspaper claims the new MLS outfit are "already thinking big" and could look to lure football's two biggest superstars to the United States.

    LA Galaxy have also been linked with a move for Messi but Minnesota United head coach Adrian Heath believes Beckham's pulling power has the potential to create a dream attacking duo.

    “For Ronaldo and Messi, the two obvious destinations if they came to the MLS would be Los Angeles and Miami," Heath told the Mirror.

    "And, with his links to both players and the plan Beckham and his backers have in place, I can really only see them going to Miami."

    ROUND-UP

    - Manchester United are set to launch a £50million bid for Wolves forward Diogo Jota, scorer of a Europa League hat-trick on Thursday, reports the Express.

    - United have also been linked with Birmingham City teenager Jude Bellingham but the Red Devils are set to face competition from Liverpool, according to the Daily Star.

    - Serie A leaders Juventus are at the front of the queue for Paul Pogba but Paris Saint-Germain also hope to land the French star, reports Le10 Sport.

    - PSG, meanwhile, are planning for life after Thomas Tuchel, who is said to be in talks with Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich. L'Equipe claims the Ligue 1 champions could look to replace him with either Massimiliano Allegri or Lazio boss Simone Inzaghi.

    - Premier League clubs Sheffield United, Wolves and Burnley are showing interest in Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips, suggests the Sun.

  • Inter match among three Serie A games postponed amid coronavirus concerns Inter match among three Serie A games postponed amid coronavirus concerns

    Inter's game against Sampdoria and two other Serie A matches have been postponed following the recent coronavirus outbreak in Italy.

    At a news conference, Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte confirmed Sunday's fixtures in the Lombardy and Veneto regions, including the Hellas Verona-Cagliari and Atalanta-Sassuolo clashes, would not go ahead.

    The move comes as part of preventative measures against the spread of the coronavirus, officially named Covid-19, after two people died and dozens more reportedly tested positive.

    Saturday's scheduled Serie B match between Ascoli and Cremonese was earlier postponed and up to 88 amateur football matches were also called off, according to Italian news agency ANSA.

    In a short statement, Inter announced only that their meeting with Sampdoria at San Siro was postponed "to a later date".

    The third-placed Nerazzurri sit six points behind Serie A leaders Juventus, who won 2-1 against SPAL on Saturday.

    Sunday's three other games are expected to go ahead as planned.

    Genoa are due to host title-chasing Lazio, with Torino to face Parma and Roma entertaining Lecce.

  • Hazard injury 'doesn't look good', admits Madrid boss Zidane Hazard injury 'doesn't look good', admits Madrid boss Zidane

    Eden Hazard's availability for Real Madrid's crunch fixtures against Manchester City and Barcelona appears in doubt after Zinedine Zidane admitted his latest injury "doesn't look good".

    The Belgium forward hobbled off in the second half of the 1-0 loss to Levante on Saturday and he could be seen on the bench receiving treatment on his lower right leg.

    Hazard only recently returned from a fractured right ankle so the sight of him appearing to have another problem in the same area was alarming for Zidane.

    Madrid face Pep Guardiola's City in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Wednesday before a Clasico date with new LaLiga leaders Barcelona next weekend.

    "It doesn't look good," Zidane told reporters at a news conference.

    "It can become weak where you've had an injury. It is a blow, let's see.

    "It's sore now but we'll see tomorrow when we do more tests."

    It was a thoroughly miserable outing for Madrid as they suffered a surprise defeat thanks to Jose Luis Morales' stunning late effort.

    Madrid drew 2-2 with Celta Vigo at home in their previous outing and they will host Barcelona next Sunday knowing they are now two points behind their great rivals in the title race.

    Captain Sergio Ramos revealed the level of frustration he was feeling in a social media post.

    "We're p***ed off," he wrote on Twitter.

    "But we can't allow our heads to drop.

    "We have to reset now and tomorrow push harder than ever before for a very important week. We're counting on you."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.