EPL

Pogba wants to leave Manchester United but won't be a big loss, says Scholes

By Sports Desk September 18, 2019

Paul Pogba will not be a big loss to Manchester United should he leave, according to club great Paul Scholes.

Pogba announced at the end of the 2018-19 season that he wanted to depart Old Trafford, with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez recently confirming he tried to sign the France midfielder.

But a move failed to materialise and Pogba started the new Premier League campaign at United, though he is currently injured.

Scholes suggested the club may have asked Pogba to give them another year, similar to before Cristiano Ronaldo was allowed to join Madrid in 2009.

"I think it's quite clear he wants to move on," said Scholes, a 13-time Premier League winner during his career-long association with United.

"He wanted to go to Real Madrid, for whatever reason it didn't happen.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the same offer had been made like with Cristiano when he was at United.

"If they've asked him to stay for a year we'll see what happens, but I don't think he'll be a big loss to United.

"I don't think his form has been great anyway, over the two or three years he's been there. I'm sure there are more players who can do just as good a job."

United play their opening Europa League match against Astana on Thursday.

Pogba is expected to be sidelined by an ankle injury that caused him to miss international duty with World Cup winners France.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Cavani wants Juventus move Rumour Has It: Cavani wants Juventus move

    With Edinson Cavani's contract set to expire, a move away from the French capital has been mooted.

    The Paris Saint-Germain veteran has been linked to David Beckham's incoming MLS expansion franchise Inter Miami.

    However, Cavani reportedly wants a return to Serie A and the titleholders stand out.

     

    TOP STORY – CAVANI EYES JUVE SWITCH

    Paris Saint-Germain forward Edinson Cavani wants to join Serie A champions Juventus, according to Calciomercato.

    Cavani – who has become PSG's all-time leading goalscorer since arriving from Napoli in 2013 – is out of contract at season's end.

    With limited progress on a renewal, the 32-year-old's representatives have reportedly reached out to Juve over a return to Italy.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - According to Sky Sport in Germany, Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng is eyeing a move to Serie A or LaLiga. The 31-year-old was linked with PSG during the last transfer window.

    - Former France and PSG head coach Laurent Blanc is keen on a job in the Premier League, reports in France say. Blanc was linked to the Lyon vacancy but the Ligue 1 strugglers have opted for ex-Marseille boss Rudi Garcia.

    - Passione Inter claims Crystal Palace are looking to sign Gabriel 'Gabigol' Barbosa. The 23-year-old Brazilian is starring on loan at Flamengo, having struggled to establish himself with Inter.

    Inter and AC Milan are both interested in Arsenal outcast Mesut Ozil, Calciomercato says.

    - Calciomercato reports Manchester United are competing with Milan for Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic.

  • Paratici rules out Cristiano Ronaldo leaving Juventus Paratici rules out Cristiano Ronaldo leaving Juventus

    Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici insisted superstar Cristiano Ronaldo will not be leaving the Serie A champions anytime soon.

    Ronaldo is contracted to Juve until 2022 following his blockbuster €112million transfer from Real Madrid last season, however, there have been rumours that the five-time Ballon d'Or winner could leave Turin.

    The 34-year-old scored 21 Serie A goals and 28 across all competitions last term, while he has four goals in 2019-20.

    Asked about Ronaldo – who scored his 700th competitive goal in Portugal's 2-1 Euro 2020 qualifying defeat to Ukraine on Monday – Paratici dismissed the possibility of the veteran forward leaving Juventus before his contract expires.

    "He is very focused on his current objectives, I do not believe in the slightest that he will leave at the end of the season or later," Paratici said.

    "He is under contract: we are very happy with him and he is happy at Juventus."

    Juve – seeking their ninth successive Scudetto – have been linked to Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic.

    However, Juve have no plans to invest in January following the off-season arrivals of Matthijs de Ligt, Aaron Ramsey, Adrien Rabiot, Danilo and Merih Demiral.

    "We will not make moves in January," Paratici said. "The roster is complete and it is one of the best in Europe."

    While there might not be any new signings forthcoming, January could see a number of departures at the Italian champions.

    Mario Mandzukic is yet to feature for Juve this season and has been heavily linked to Premier League giants Manchester United.

    "We decided to give him a moment of peace because there was the chance he would be moving to Qatar, which then did not materialize," Paratici said. "Now we will decide together what the best solution will be in January."

  • Kane proud of England after racism mars qualifier in Bulgaria Kane proud of England after racism mars qualifier in Bulgaria

    England captain Harry Kane said he is proud of his team-mates after the country's Euro 2020 qualifier was marred by racism in Bulgaria.

    Monday's clash in Sofia was overshadowed by racist abuse directed towards England players during their 6-0 rout of hosts Bulgaria.

    Play was stopped twice before half-time during a comfortable victory for England, with an address over the Vasil Levski National Stadium urging an end to racist chanting before a number of Bulgaria fans were removed from the ground.

    England players informed the match officials of the discriminatory behaviour and an abandonment looked possible at one stage, though the Group A fixture was completed amid the racial taunts.

    After the match, Kane – who rounded out the scoring following Marcus Rashford's opener and braces from Ross Barkley and Raheem Sterling – told reporters: "Well I'm definitely proud of my team-mates and my friends and everyone involved in our nation tonight. It wasn't easy for anyone.

    "We made a decision as a team to carry on playing. You see us coming together before half-time and we said we would play until half-time then get together and decide what we want to do.

    "Everyone wanted to carry on and do their talking on the pitch. It's not easy to play in circumstances like that but the 6-0 victory and the way we played, the manner in which we played I'm extremely proud of for sure."

    On what was said at half-time, Kane added: "There was a discussion in the changing room and everyone wanted to carry on playing.

    "If there were players that didn't we wouldn't have come back out and played. That shows the squad and the maturity and the character that everyone wanted to come back out and play."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.