EPL

Prince Abdullah could accept Sheffield United investment from 'very respectable' Bin Laden family

By Sports Desk September 19, 2019

Sheffield United owner Prince Abdullah bin Musa'ad bin Abdulaziz Al Sa'ud says the club could take investment from the 'very respectable' Bin Laden family.

One of Saudi Arabia's most influential and richest families, the Bin Laden name will always be indelibly associated with Osama Bin Laden's terrorist acts.

According to reports, the Bin Laden family previously loaned Sheffield United £3million and Saudi Arabia's Prince Abdullah, who this week won an ownership battle with Kevin McCabe, could turn to them again.

"I really am offended when the Bin Laden family are given a bad name," Prince Abdullah told a news conference. "They are a very respectable family.

"It is a really good family. It had a black sheep, as most families do, but it's a really respectable family and if I do business with them again, I'd be happy to.

"It's not a disgraced name.

"The [Bin Laden] family were looking to buy Kevin's shares, and the money they put was a down-payment to give them time to do due diligence.

"If they decided not to buy, the money was to be used as a loan for a year without any interest.

"I'm usually tolerant but when people talk about Bin Laden as a dirty family I get offended. It's not my family to support but I think it's the right thing to say."

Prince Musa'ad bin Khalid bin Musa'ad Al Sa'ud, Prince Abdullah's 26-year-old son-in-law, becomes Sheffield United chairman after McCabe lost his battle for Blades ownership in the High Court.

Related items

  • Solskjaer evokes spirit of PSG upset as Man United brace for Liverpool visit Solskjaer evokes spirit of PSG upset as Man United brace for Liverpool visit

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sees parallels between Manchester United's preparation for Liverpool's arrival and the lead-up to last season's Champions League win over Paris Saint-Germain.

    United have been tipped to struggle on Sunday in what could be a defining game for manager Solskjaer against the Premier League leaders.

    But the absence of important players, plus their status as underdogs, reminds Solskjaer of the March trip to Parc des Princes, when a late Marcus Rashford penalty gave United a 3-1 second-leg win and shock last-16 victory on away goals.

    Alexis Sanchez, Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard were unavailable on that occasion, while for Sunday's match it could be David de Gea joining Paul Pogba in the Old Trafford stands.

    "I can't say who is going to be available, but we'll have 11 men out there and it reminds me a little bit of the PSG situation," Solskjaer told his club's website.

    "We had loads of players out, everyone writes us off and are happy about that because, how can I say it, everyone doesn't want us to win.

    "But it's Manchester United people, the Manchester United family, and we need to stick together because the 11 men out there will definitely give us what they have."

    United's medical room might be just as busy as it was in March but the team's form is decidedly different.

    Solskjaer's men lost 1-0 at Newcastle United in their last outing and have not posted a league win since a 1-0 home triumph over Leicester City on September 14.

    Asked if the international break brought frustration, Solskjaer said: "It has and it hasn't, because I think the boys needed some time to clear their heads.

    "I think for me as well, as of course I was disappointed [with the Newcastle result]. Sometimes you get over a defeat quicker than other times.

    "This time we were just eager to get players back, to get some players we had out for the internationals, just to get some confidence back and we're ready to go again.

    "It's the perfect game for us and of course this isn't new. It’s the one we look for every year when the fixture list comes out."

  • A-League Review: Grant goal sinks plucky Phoenix as Maclaren strikes twice for victorious City A-League Review: Grant goal sinks plucky Phoenix as Maclaren strikes twice for victorious City

    Rhyan Grant's first A-League goal in over two years gave Sydney FC a narrow 2-1 victory over an unlucky Wellington Phoenix, who had Liberato Cacace sent off.

    Wellington looked the more likely team to snatch a winner after equalising through Ulises Davila in the 69th minute but Socceroos defender Grant dug the Sky Blues out of trouble on Sunday.

    The right-back looped in a 77th-minute free-kick delivered by Brandon O'Neill, scorer of Sydney's scrappy first-half opener, to put Steve Corica's men level on six points with Western Sydney Wanderers ahead of next weekend's derby.

    Wellington – who were without new signing Gary Hooper – registered 23 shots at Leichhardt Oval but ended the match empty handed and down to 10 men following a VAR review of Cacace's poor challenge on Anthony Caceres.

    Earlier, Jamie Maclaren's first-half brace led Melbourne City to a narrow 2-1 win against Adelaide United at AAMI Park.

    Riley McGree halved the margin after the hour and later squandered a good opportunity for a second as City clung on for their maiden A-League victory under Erick Mombaerts.

  • Bayern defender Sule set for surgery after tearing ACL Bayern defender Sule set for surgery after tearing ACL

    Bayern Munich have confirmed Niklas Sule tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during the Bundesliga draw against Augsburg.

    Germany centre-back Sule will undergo surgery on Sunday after scans confirmed head coach Niko Kovac's fears of a serious injury.

    Sule, 24, went down clutching his left leg after going into a challenge with Florian Niederlechner in the early stages of the 2-2 draw in Bavaria.

    The defender walked from the pitch but Kovac admitted to having "a very bad feeling" and the most important pillar of his back four now faces several months on the sidelines.

    Bayern announced the blow following an "in-depth investigation by club doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt".

    Sule was making his eighth start of the champions' uneven Bundesliga campaign, having become an entrenched member of the starting XI last season as the influence of Jerome Boateng and Mats Hummels - now at Borussia Dortmund - started to wane.

    His condition is sure to be of concern to Joachim Low, who may have to make Euro 2020 plans without the former Hoffenheim player.

    Bayern came from behind to lead at Augsburg following Sule's substitution but were ultimately forced to share the spoils, Alfred Finnbogason nicking a point for the hosts in second-half stoppage time.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.