Fati could go to Euro 2020, says Spain coach Moreno

By Sports Desk October 11, 2019

Ansu Fati could be named in Spain's squad for Euro 2020, says coach Robert Moreno.

The 16-year-old forward has burst on to the scene this season, becoming Barcelona's youngest LaLiga goalscorer when he struck against Osasuna.

Born in Guinea-Bissau, Fati also had the option to represent Portugal at international level but he chose to play for La Roja and this week he was granted Spanish citizenship.

Fati was then added to the Spain Under-21 squad to face Montenegro after Barcelona team-mate Carles Perez withdrew through injury.

Moreno indicated Fati is already in his thinking as Spain work towards Euro 2020, with qualification in sight after six wins from six in Group F.

"Of course I would like Ansu to be here," he said ahead of Saturday's trip to Norway. "We had him in the pre-list.

"He has broken the system of the age groups. We believe it is important to have players who have a goal.

"If he starts scoring goals and breaking out we will not give up having such a player with us.

"All good guys are welcome. Ansu has shown many things.

"Of course it would be feasible for him to be at the Euros."

Moreno's contract expires after Euro 2020, the coach having taken charge on an initial temporary basis after Luis Enrique had to step away for personal reasons.

Although he is yet to open talks with the Royal Spanish Football Federation over a renewal, Moreno is not concerned about the situation.

"I had not thought about it. They have neither spoken to me nor do I want them to talk to me," he added.

"We are focused on getting 30 points. It does not give me any value to be told about it.

"This is a lot of fun and every week something new appears to entertain you. I am happy with how things are going. I have not seen them yet in losing.

"Hopefully we can secure qualification, I would like to do it by winning all the matches."

Related items

  • Barcelona sign former Inter striker Rey Manaj for €700,000 Barcelona sign former Inter striker Rey Manaj for €700,000

    Barcelona have signed Rey Manaj from Albacete for an initial €700,000, with the former Inter striker agreeing a contract until June 2023.

    The fee could rise by €2million in performance-based bonuses over the next three and a half years, with 22-year-old Manaj set to line-up for Barca B in the third tier.

    After starting his senior career with Cremonese, the Albania international – who has a €50m release clause in his Barca contract – moved to Inter and made six appearances for the club during a stint that included loans to Pescara, Pisa and Granada.

    Manaj joined Albacete in July 2018 on loan with an obligation to buy. He scored nine goals in 39 league appearances for the Segunda Division side.

  • Real Madrid sign Reinier from Flamengo Real Madrid sign Reinier from Flamengo

    Real Madrid have completed the signing of Brazilian teenager Reinier Jesus from Flamengo.

    The attacker has long been linked with a €30million switch to Madrid, with reports previously suggesting he would sign after turning 18 on January 19.

    Reinier's arrival was subsequently confirmed on Monday, agreeing a six-and-a-half-year deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    He scored six goals in 14 appearances for Flamengo in Brazil's Serie A last year.

    During his brief stint in Flamengo's senior side, Reinier collected medals for both the Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores titles – though he did only make a single appearance in the latter.

    He was also a part of the Flamengo squad that narrowly missed out on the Club World Cup title last month, as Liverpool beat them 1-0 in the final.

    A technical, creative and powerful attacking midfielder, Reinier initially attracted attention for his performances with Brazil in the 2019 South American Under-17 Championship.

    Captaining his country, Reinier netted three times – a figured bettered by only three players – as Brazil otherwise disappointed, failing to get beyond the first group phase after finishing fourth in Group B.

    Despite links with Madrid, Reinier signed a new contract with Flamengo in November – the deal reportedly including a €35million release clause.

    Madrid confirmed Reinier will link up with their second string Real Madrid Castilla after his participation in CONMEBOL's Pre-Olympic Tournament finishes in early February.

  • West Ham flop Roberto joins Alaves on loan West Ham flop Roberto joins Alaves on loan

    West Ham goalkeeper Roberto has signed for Deportivo Alaves on loan for the rest of the season after a disappointing first six months in the Premier League.

    The 33-year-old was brought to London Stadium on a free transfer at the end of May as a back-up to established number one Lukasz Fabianski, signing a two-year deal.

    But an early hip injury for Fabianski handed Roberto his opportunity in the first team.

    The Spaniard played eight times in the league but was at fault for a number of goals during a slump in form and was eventually replaced by David Martin.

    Fabianski suffered another injury earlier this month, yet West Ham have brought back Darren Randolph from Middlesbrough in a reported £4million transfer.

    Roberto has subsequently been allowed to return to LaLiga on a temporary deal.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.