Injury setback delays Sensi return for Inter

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

Inter midfielder Stefano Sensi is set to miss out on a reunion with Sassuolo after suffering another injury to his right thigh.

The on-loan Italy international was being reintegrated into training ahead of this weekend's Serie A fixture when he reported a "small" problem, according to an Inter statement.

An MRI scan on Friday detected a strain in the same thigh he injured in the 2-1 loss to Juventus before the international break.

Sensi lasted until the 34th minute of that match and could now miss next week's crucial Champions League clash against Borussia Dortmund, along with Sunday's trip to face the club he left in July.

"Today's tests revealed a strain to the psoas muscle," Inter's statement read. "His condition will be assessed in the next few days."

Sensi is on loan at Inter from Sassuolo but is widely expected to make the move permanent for a reported €25million fee at the end of the campaign.

The 24-year-old has been one of the key factors in the Nerazzurri's strong start under Antonio Conte, scoring three goals in seven league appearances.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: 'Impossible' for fans to attend when LaLiga resumes, says CSD chief Coronavirus: 'Impossible' for fans to attend when LaLiga resumes, says CSD chief

    Irene Lozano, the president of Spain's National Sports Council (CSD), insisted it was "impossible" to have fans back in stadiums when LaLiga resumes this month.

    The LaLiga season will restart on June 11 and Miguel Angel Ramirez, the president of Segunda Division club Las Palmas, said supporters would be able to attend his side's home matches beginning that weekend.

    However, Lozano said it was impossible to have fans return so soon amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    "It is impossible. The integrity of the competition must be respected," she told Cadena SER, via AS, on Tuesday.

    "There are many considerations in this regard, but the most essential is sports. Respect the integrity of the competition.

    "Since LaLiga is a national competition and we have all tried so very hard that the training sessions were matched, I'm a bit surprised that after the effort we have made to match what was out of step, now suddenly in the last 100 metres we come to unbalance."

    Barcelona hold a two-point lead over Real Madrid at the top with 11 games left, and the latter will not play at the Santiago Bernabeu when they get back underway.

    Lozano, who kept open the possibility of fans attending this season, said LaLiga needed to stay responsible amid COVID-19, which has killed more than 381,000 people worldwide.

    "If you compare yourself to other places, the Bundesliga, where people have not entered, it is time to be patient, it is time to be responsible," she said.

    "They cannot enter or congregate in the immediate vicinity. And if it happens, who is responsible for that?

    "Until all the forecasts are in the same phase of de-escalation, it is impossible for there to be football with the public."

  • Giroud 'very nearly' left Chelsea in January amid Inter and Lazio interest Giroud 'very nearly' left Chelsea in January amid Inter and Lazio interest

    Olivier Giroud admitted he "very nearly" left Chelsea during the January transfer window before extending his contract with the Premier League club.

    Giroud was linked with Serie A sides Inter and Lazio, but last month extended his deal through until the end of next season.

    The 33-year-old striker said he was close to leaving Stamford Bridge before receiving assurances from head coach Frank Lampard.

    "I was supposed to leave in the January transfer window because I wasn't playing much and I needed more game time to make the France squad for Euro 2020," Giroud told the club's website.

    "I very nearly left the club but I really think that God wanted me to stay at Chelsea.

    "The manager told me that he couldn't let me leave because he didn't have anyone to replace me. Everyone knows what happened so I won't go back over it but the coach spoke to me privately and told me that he'd give more games.

    "He kept his word and what then mattered to me was proving to him that he could count on me when I was called upon."

    Giroud arrived at Chelsea from Arsenal in 2018 and has already helped the club win the Europa League and FA Cup.

    The France international is eager to win more silverware with Chelsea, while saying he was happy in London.

    "I want to keep winning trophies and I want to continue to show the manager that he can count on me," Giroud said.

    "Plus, with the whole coronavirus lockdown situation, I didn't really feel comfortable with the idea of moving abroad and uprooting my family. I think a lot about our quality of life and we have a great setup here. I think a lot about my family now."

  • Mina blow for Everton boss Ancelotti Mina blow for Everton boss Ancelotti

    Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti has suffered a blow to his plans for the return of the Premier League after former Barcelona defender Yerry Mina suffered a quad muscle injury.

    Mina has been a regular at centre-back this season, appearing in 25 of Everton's 29 top-flight games and scoring twice.

    However, there appears little prospect of him being available when the league resumes later this month.

    His club stated on their website: "Everton Football Club can confirm Yerry Mina is set to be sidelined for several weeks after sustaining a muscle injury.

    "A scan confirmed the Colombia international suffered a partial tear in his left quad muscle during training last week.

    "The 25-year-old is now in the early stages of his rehabilitation under the care of the club's medical staff and making good progress."

    Mina was an eye-catching €30million signing from Barcelona in August 2018, just weeks after scoring three goals for his country in the World Cup.

    The 2019-20 Premier League season is due to return from a three-month coronavirus suspension when two games are played on Wednesday, June 17, followed by a full programme of weekend fixtures.

    Everton sat 12th in the Premier League when the season was halted, six points behind sixth-placed Wolves.

    News of Mina's injury comes after last week's setback to Everton, that saw midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin suffer a severe Achilles injury in training that will keep him out for the rest of the season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.