Real Madrid hurting after Mallorca loss, says Marcelo

By Sports Desk October 19, 2019

Marcelo said Real Madrid's shock loss to Real Mallorca "hurts" as the LaLiga giants lost top spot to defending champions Barcelona.

Madrid crashed to their first LaLiga defeat of the season, with Zinedine Zidane's 10-man visitors succumbing to Lago Junior's early strike at Son Moix on Saturday.

Bitter rivals Barca leapfrogged Madrid into top spot thanks to their win over Eibar earlier in the day, and left-back Marcelo lamented the result away from home.

"We lost but we must keep going," Marcelo said. "It hurts to lose because we played well, but we conceded early on and then looked to make our comeback but it was not possible.

"We did not have time to think, they scored a goal and they defended and waited for the counter, that's no excuse though.

"We need to play well until the final whistle. We have won some games while lacking something. We're trying to do everything possible to win but LaLiga is tough these days."

It was not the result Zidane had in mind following the international break as Madrid looked to preserve their lead atop the table.

However, Mallorca's Lago stunned Madrid seven minutes into the match by finding the bottom-right corner.

Karim Benzema hit the crossbar before substitute Rodrygo Goes squandered a presentable chance and Madrid's hopes of a comeback were all but over when Alvaro Odriozola saw red 16 minutes from the end, with Mallorca holding firm to claim their first win over Los Blancos since 2009.

"We knew about Mallorca," Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois said. "The coach warned us they would come out with grit and real intensity. In the first five or 10 minutes, we were caught short. 

"We had chances but lacked that final touch. The goal scorer is right footed and he sent it in at the far post. It is a shame, we should have won here."

On Odriozola's dismissal, Courtois added: "In the first yellow [he] hit the ball, the second is fair. I think that at that time with a card there should be no foul, but hey, it is the adrenaline. Playing with 10 was more complicated."

Related items

  • Manchester City Women appoint Taylor as new coach Manchester City Women appoint Taylor as new coach

    Manchester City Women have appointed former Wales international Gareth Taylor as their new head coach.

    Taylor, 47, has signed a three-year deal to replace Nick Cushing, who left to join the coaching staff to join affiliate club New York City in February after six years in the role.

    New boss Taylor has been in charge of Manchester City's under-18 team for three years, winning two Premier League U18 Cups.

    He represented Wales 15 times in a playing career that saw him play for City between 1998 and 2001, earning two promotions at a time when the men's team were in the lower leagues.

    City confirmed Taylor will start his new role with immediate effect and that he will be assisted by Alan Mahon, who had been in temporary charge.

    "I'm extremely excited about the challenge ahead with a very talented group of players and staff who have enjoyed a lot of success in recent years," Taylor said after Thursday's announcement.

    "I'm really honoured to have been appointed to this role and I can’t wait to get started with our preparations for another thrilling and competitive WSL season in 2020-21."

  • Correa deals Atletico Madrid another injury blow Correa deals Atletico Madrid another injury blow

    Atletico Madrid have been dealt another injury blow ahead of LaLiga's resumption, with Angel Correa struggling with a leg problem.

    Earlier this week Atletico revealed that club-record signing Joao Felix had suffered a low-grade medial ligament sprain in his left knee.

    Now, the club have confirmed fellow forward Correa has also sustained a problem, which they explained was a muscle injury in his left leg.

    "Angel Correa ended Tuesday's training session with discomfort and was evaluated by the club's medical services," a club statement said.

    "The Argentine underwent an MRI scan that confirmed he has a muscle injury in his left leg. He's pending response to treatment."

    Correa has made 33 appearances in all competitions for Atletico in 2019-20, scoring seven times.

    Last week Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez confirmed LaLiga could resume behind closed doors from June 8 following the coronavirus-enforced break.

    LaLiga president Javier Tebas wants games to begin again on June 11, with the derby between Real Betis and Sevilla outlined as the preferred first fixture back.

    Before competitions were halted in March, Atletico had qualified for the Champions League quarter-finals by knocking out holders Liverpool and were sixth in LaLiga, one point behind fourth-placed Real Sociedad.

  • Coronavirus: A-League restart plans unveiled, games planned for mid-July Coronavirus: A-League restart plans unveiled, games planned for mid-July

    The 2019-20 A-League season is set to resume in mid-July following the coronavirus-enforced break, provided broadcasters sign off on the plans.

    The spread of the global pandemic meant the competition was put on hold back in March, a month before the regular season was due to conclude, with teams having between three and six games remaining.

    While the top leagues in France and the Netherlands have been cancelled, the A-League has remained committed to restarting the season and unveiled their schedule for doing so on Thursday.

    However, the final proposal, which would see the league and finals series wrapped up within a month, needs to be approved by broadcasters.

    Football Federation Australia chief executive James Johnson said: "Ideally mid-June will see players return to training, allowing them to reach the required elite level of fitness for competitive matches to commence by mid-July, and for the A-League finals series to be completed by mid-August.

    "The proposed timing will mean that the culmination of the A-League will coincide with the restart of Australian grassroots football, connecting the professional game and our two million participants like never before."

    On needing approval from broadcasters before signing off on the plan, Johnson added: "That's the final piece of the jigsaw and once we have it in place we can move forward quickly."

    When the season was halted back in March, Sydney FC had an eight-point lead over Melbourne City with three games in hand.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.