EPL

Son is devastated over Gomes injury, says Tottenham boss Pochettino

By Sports Desk November 03, 2019

Son Heung-min is "devastated" after hurting Everton midfielder Andre Gomes with a tackle in Sunday's 1-1 draw, Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says.

Gomes was taken off on a stretcher with a serious-looking injury to his right leg after Son's challenge tripped him and led to the Portuguese colliding with Serge Aurier in the second half at Goodison Park.

Spurs forward Son, who was sent off by referee Martin Atkinson, was visibly distraught before being led down the tunnel, while players from both teams were clearly distressed by the incident.

Gomes' treatment, along with lengthy pauses for VAR checks of possible penalties, led to 12 minutes of additional time at the end of the second half, with Cenk Tosun scoring in the 97th minute to cancel out Dele Alli's opener.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the match, Pochettino said: "We feel very sorry. It was a very bad situation, very bad luck how he landed. We can send our best wishes and of course I am very devastated for the situation.

"It's not important, football; it's important for him. We can talk about football but always feeling bad, feeling sorry for the action. It was so, so difficult.

"The feeling changed in this moment. We were playing well, it was more close to the second goal for us. It's difficult to assess the last 10, 12 minutes, but talking only about football, I am happy with the performance, the way we competed.

"Sonny was devastated. During the situation, he was very confused, it was difficult to keep calm. After you watch the action on TV, [you can see] it was never his intention [to hurt Gomes].

"It was very, very bad luck for Andre, for the family and for Everton. We finish with a red card for Sonny and, of course, the condition of the game changed. In this situation, we defend well but then we concede. I'm disappointed for the result."

Alli, who appeared shaken by Gomes' injury, insisted Son would never attempt to injure a player deliberately.

"I didn't want to look too much at what happened. All I can do is send him my best wishes and wish him a quick recovery," he said to Sky Sports.

"Son is devastated, he's in tears but it’s not his fault. He's one of the nicest people you would want to meet and he's not like that. He can't even lift his head up he's crying that much in the dressing room."

Everton boss Marco Silva praised his players for battling back to draw the game, as they now wait for updates on Gomes, who was taken to hospital.

"He went to the hospital. Now, our medical staff is taking control of everything. They will give more information about the situation. We need to wait a little bit more to be more clear," he said.

"It's a bad moment for us as a group, as a team. We give all our support to Andre and his family as well. As a group, we have to keep the togetherness and the spirit we showed after that moment.

"I didn't see the moment yet. I saw it live, I didn't see anything more. I can't talk to you about the tackle, the things that happened after the tackle."

Related items

  • Liverpool 'greedy for more' in Champions League after booking last-16 spot Liverpool 'greedy for more' in Champions League after booking last-16 spot

    Liverpool are "greedy for more" after advancing to the last 16 of the Champions League as Group E winners by beating Salzburg 2-0 on Tuesday, said Andy Robertson.

    Two second-half goals in the space of 100 seconds from Naby Keita and Mohamed Salah ensured the holders finished ahead of Napoli, who beat Genk 4-0, in their section.

    Keita headed home following a brilliant run and cutback from Sadio Mane, while Salah slotted home from an acute angle at the edge of the box after rounding Cican Stankovic.

    "Of course, we're greedy for more. We've got people saying we've struggled through and we've got four more points than we did last year," Robertson told BT Sport.

    "Top of the group and now we go on to the last 16. We know what we can do there and it's all about us doing it on the big stage and we've proven over the past two years we can do it and we'll hopefully do it again.

    "We knew they were trying to make history for their club - they've never been in the last 16. They feel they're a Champions League team and they're very confident in that. It was all about coming here and riding that wave.

    "We had the biggest chances in the first 45, so it was up to us to be a bit more clinical. We knew if we kept going that chances would come and, luckily, we put them away, and then the lads defending as a whole team to keep a clean sheet when you need to is so important."

    On Salah's goal, he added: "It was probably his toughest chance of the game. Mo had a couple of great chances and they [Salah, Mane and Roberto Firmino] put so much pressure on themselves to score goals and stuff.

    "It was a ridiculous goal, to be fair. I didn't know how it got in from there - a fantastic finish on his weaker foot."

    The opening goal was created and scored by former Salzburg players in Mane and Keita, and the Senegalese forward sympathised with his former club.

    "It was a really tough game today, but we expected that. We created many chances in the second half and Naby scored a wonderful goal, so I'm happy for him against his former club. We deserved to win tonight and we are happy," said Mane.

    "It's always nice to come back here because it's where it all started for me. I'm really grateful to the club, the fans and the people here. Sorry guys, but it's football, we have to do it and that's it!"

  • Ancelotti set for Napoli future talks but rules out resigning Ancelotti set for Napoli future talks but rules out resigning

    Carlo Ancelotti has ruled out resigning but the Napoli coach is set for talks over his future at the club with president Aurelio De Laurentiis.

    A 4-0 home defeat of Genk ensured Napoli progressed to the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday, reaching that stage of the competition for the first time since 2016-17.

    Arkadiusz Milik's hat-trick in the first half helped ensure the Partenopei finished second in Group E behind Liverpool and ended their nine-game run without a win in all competitions.

    Ex-Milan boss Gennaro Gattuso continues to be linked with taking charge of Napoli, but Ancelotti wants to still be in the dugout when his side face Parma in Serie A at the weekend.

    "I hope so," Ancelotti told Sky Sport Italia when asked if he would be in his job for Saturday's game.

    "It's something I have to evaluate with the president and we will meet tomorrow. I don't know anything about contact with other coaches, we just focused on the game.

    "Tomorrow there will be a meeting agreed by mutual consent to evaluate the situation as it stands right now.

    "I have never resigned in my life and I never will. This team has quality and proved that in the Champions League, whereas we haven't been able to yet in Serie A."

    Ancelotti accepts poor form has made speculation over his future inevitable, but he does not believe the situation at Napoli is similar to when he was sacked by Bayern Munich.

    "It was different in Munich, as there was a clash above all with the club," he added. "I thought there was the need for a generational change and clashed with some players.

    "The situation here is that the team has not been able to express its full value, but there were no clashes, aside from isolated incidents that happen everywhere. It's completely different.

    "It is natural to be put under the spotlight and I must be judged on what I am doing, in which case the results are not satisfying.

    "We want to improve our Serie A status, so I hope this Champions League qualification can take some of the pressure off, as the team is playing with a weight on its shoulders."

  • Atleti can turn around fortunes against Lokomotiv Moscow, says Simeone Atleti can turn around fortunes against Lokomotiv Moscow, says Simeone

    Diego Simeone insists his Atletico Madrid side are capable of turning around their torrid form to qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League.

    Atleti face Lokomotiv Moscow at the Wanda Metropolitano on Wednesday knowing all three points will be enough to see them progress from Group D alongside Juventus, who have already booked their spot in the knockout stages.

    Simeone's side go into the match on the back of a run of just one win in their last eight games across all competitions, but the Argentinian has full faith in his players' ability to reverse their fortunes.

    "I believe in my team," he told a media conference. "I believe in the players and in these difficult moments they are continuing behind the same philosophy. It makes me optimistic and positive.

    "The results show our reality and we have the challenge of reversing it. I believe in the team from what I see because they work hard. They are showing me what I want to see, and the results will come accordingly.

    "We are not preparing differently. Playing for Atletico is always important. We need to be calm and that will give us personality. It is an opportunity to be together."

    Goalkeeper Jan Oblak says he is not concerned by Atleti's poor form, insisting they are on the right track towards positive results.

    "We feel good, we are doing the same things and we want to win," he said. "In the last matches we have improved but we have not won. We did our best to win. 

    "We have had some bad luck but that is going to change, and we will all be happier. We win and lose together; no need to worry about that. We had some bad luck and things did not go as we wanted.

    "We will enter the game as we should and with the maximum intensity and desire to win."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.