EPL

Andre Gomes will come back stronger – Silva

By Sports Desk November 03, 2019

Everton manager Marco Silva insisted Andre Gomes will return stronger after suffering a serious ankle injury against Tottenham.

Gomes is set to undergo surgery after sustaining a fracture dislocation to his right ankle in Sunday's 1-1 Premier League draw with Tottenham at Goodison Park.

Everton were left distraught and reeling after Gomes was taken off on a stretcher in the second half following a challenge from Tottenham's Son Heung-min which saw the Portugal international then collide with Serge Aurier.

Speaking during his post-match news conference, Silva told reporters: "It was a really tough moment for us, forgetting the game and result.

"Andre will have all the support he needs from us.

"It is a serious injury and I am 100 per cent sure Andre will become stronger as a footballer player and stronger as a man, he is a fantastic lad and professional and all the support he needs, he will have from us.

"Our players are sad now, it is a tough moment in our dressing room, but the spirit we showed after that moment was good. It was the toughest moment for us this season."

Son was red carded following a VAR review, having initially been booked by referee Martin Atkinson for his tackle on Gomes.

Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino hit out at VAR afterwards and Silva also criticised the technology following the draw, which was secured by Cenk Tosun's 97th-minute equaliser.

"What I want to tell you, all of us love football and we play for our fans and I am 100 per cent sure they didn't like what they saw this afternoon," Silva said.

"In the second half, there are so many moments to stop the game. The penalty from Dele Alli, it was three minutes to decide. They have to be more clear.

"They saw their team last week lost the game one penalty coming from nowhere and this afternoon is completely the opposite. It was not just the Dele Alli situation. I saw all the moments and I have opinions on all of them. How it is possible three minutes to decide?

"Me, the club, we respect the referees, tough job, and we respect the VAR as well. I know they want the best but it is up to them to decide." 

Related items

  • Wijnaldum named in Liverpool's final 20-man Club World Cup squad Wijnaldum named in Liverpool's final 20-man Club World Cup squad

    Georginio Wijnaldum will travel with Liverpool to the Club World Cup despite appearing to injure his hamstring in Saturday's Premier League win over Watford.

    The midfielder's participation in Qatar became uncertain after he limped off in the 59th minute of the 2-0 victory at Anfield.

    Liverpool confirmed Wijnaldum had suffered a muscle problem but the 29-year-old will still fly out on Sunday as part of a 20-man selection.

    Jurgen Klopp will be without defender Dejan Lovren, who has been left behind as he recovers from a muscle issue sustained in the Champions League game against Salzburg.

    Young midfielder Harvey Elliott and striker Rhian Brewster have also been trimmed from the initial 23-man squad announced earlier this month.

    Liverpool begin the tournament with a semi-final against Mexican side Monterrey in Doha on Wednesday.

    Captain and midfielder Jordan Henderson said the European champions had every intention of returning with the silverware.

    "Well, we want to go there and win," Henderson told his club's website after the victory over the Hornets. 

    "Big games coming up, so we've got to recover well. There's a big game Wednesday and hopefully we can do a job to get into the final on the weekend."

    Liverpool's Club World Cup squad:

    Alisson, Andy Lonergan, Adrian; Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez, Andy Robertson, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Neco Williams; Georginio Wijnaldum, James Milner, Naby Keita, Curtis Jones, Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Lallana, Xherdan Shaqiri; Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, Divock Origi.

  • Ljungberg prepared for sour Emirates Stadium atmosphere as Arsenal host Man City Ljungberg prepared for sour Emirates Stadium atmosphere as Arsenal host Man City

    Freddie Ljungberg admitted Arsenal must be ready for a backlash from their own fans in Sunday's Premier League game against Manchester City.

    The Gunners were booed off after a dispiriting 2-1 loss to Brighton and Hove Albion in their last Emirates Stadium appearance.

    Hector Bellerin insisted the team had given "100 per cent" but another poor result against champions City will only add to the sense of discontent in north London.

    "It's the right of the fans to be this way," said interim boss Ljungberg.

    "Of course I want them to be with us and I know how much it means to the players, and I can see sometimes when it happens they can go a little bit down.

    "But that's something I will talk to them about. They already know about it but I will try to prepare them for if and when it happens.

    "But I think when we play City at home, the fans know it will be a very tough game and will be with us regardless.

    "I want to make sure I respect the decisions and voice of the fans. In my opinion they are the club and we try to do the best we can for them. We try to respect them and make them know we are doing this.

    "I hope they have seen that in the last fortnight."

    Arsenal triumphed 3-1 at West Ham on Monday but have not won a Premier League home game since the narrow 1-0 victory over Bournemouth in early October.

    Unai Emery lost his job on November 29 and club chiefs are still considering potential successors, with Ljungberg now set to oversee his fifth match.

    The Swede warned there was no quick fix to the malaise.

    "I am a fan, too, and I want Arsenal back winning trophies, but as I say this won't happen overnight," he said.

    "Of course, there are things to fix now and that we can do better. I have a list of about 10 to 15 things we need to urgently get right, but you can't do all those things at once."

  • Rumour Has It: Haaland chooses Manchester United Rumour Has It: Haaland chooses Manchester United

    Manchester United could be set to land the most sought-after striker in Europe.

    According to a new report, Erling Haaland has identified the Red Devils as his preferred choice from a long list of suitors containing Juventus, Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig.

    The teenager met with the two Bundesliga clubs in midweek, but United appear to have moved to the front of the queue.

     

    TOP STORY – HAALAND SENDS MESSAGE TO SOLSKJAER

    Salzburg star Haaland has told compatriot Ole Gunnar Solskjaer he wants to move to Old Trafford, according to the Mirror.

    United have been linked with the 19-year-old for several months and the Norwegian connection could lead him to the Premier League.

    However, Haaland's high-profile agent Mino Raiola reportedly wants to keep all options on the table as the January transfer window moves nearer.

    The striker's father, Alf-Inge, was said to have visited United's training ground in November, while Haaland held talks with Bundesliga teams Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig this week.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Inter's firm interest in Fiorentina winger Federico Chiesa could lead to a transfer tug-of-war with Serie A title rivals Juventus, according to CalcioMercato.

    - The Nerazzurri have been linked Alessandro Florenzi, but Atalanta are now in pole position to sign the Italy international if he leaves Roma in January, says Gazzetta dello Sport.

    - Rest time might be at a minimum for Kylian Mbappe when the club season winds down. According to Le Parisien, French Football Federation president Noel Le Graet will give the Paris Saint-Germain star the chance to compete at the Olympic Games in Tokyo, which begin less than two weeks after the Euro 2020 final.

    - Chelsea are considering launching a January bid for Leeds United loanee Ben White, claims the Daily Mail. Brighton and Hove Albion, White's parent club, are reportedly willing to accept offers of £25million.

    - Mundo Deportivo suggests LaLiga heavyweights Barcelona are monitoring Thiago Alcantara's situation amid rumours the midfielder has become unhappy at Bayern Munich. Thiago swapped Barca for Bayern in 2013.

    - West Ham's victory over Southampton will not be enough to save Manuel Pellegrini from the sack, says the Daily Star. Carlo Ancelotti and David Moyes are among the possible replacements.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.