EPL

Man City in uncomfortable position, but Premier League race isn't over – Gundogan

By Sports Desk November 10, 2019

Ilkay Gundogan insisted the Premier League title race was not over, although the midfielder accepted Manchester City were in an "uncomfortable" position.

The champions suffered a 3-1 loss to Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday, falling nine points behind Jurgen Klopp's league leaders.

City claimed the title last season despite slipping seven points behind and Gundogan is retaining hope they can again rally.

"We have to accept it, but there is a long way to go. Last season in January we were quite far behind and able to turn it around," the midfielder said, via the Manchester Evening News.

"But we are not independent any more. We have to see how our competitors do, especially Liverpool, and that makes the situation more uncomfortable.

"We have to keep trying to play well and amass as many points as possible. I don't feel the title has already gone, and I don't think the Liverpool players will feel like that, because we are all professionals.

"We all try to do our best on the pitch but sometimes it doesn't work out – we are human beings."

City fell behind in the sixth minute at Anfield, Fabinho's stunning strike giving the hosts the lead after the visitors were denied a penalty for a potential handball by Trent Alexander-Arnold at the other end.

Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane added goals for Liverpool before Bernardo Silva's 78th-minute strike, but Gundogan felt the opener hurt City.

"It was [a killer], also maybe because of the action just before the goal was scored. I felt like they were a bit positive in the seconds after the hand situation, and Fabinho scored a great goal," he said.

"It's always tough when they score the first, especially at Anfield, and then go straight away for the second one, with the crowd and their emotions.

"It takes a tough mentality to fight against that and unfortunately they scored the second straight after. It's a defeat and we have to take it."

Related items

  • Mourinho hits out at Conte as Inter chase Eriksen Mourinho hits out at Conte as Inter chase Eriksen

    Tottenham head coach Jose Mourinho hit out at Antonio Conte for speaking publicly about Inter's pursuit of Christian Eriksen.

    Eriksen, 27, is out of contract at Tottenham at the end of the season and has been heavily linked with a move to the Serie A side.

    Mourinho reignited his feud with Conte as speculation continues over Eriksen, criticising the Inter boss for discussing the midfielder publicly.

    Conte is reported to have said: "Eriksen? We have to go to people who have already had a career, who are at the end of their contracts."

    "I think Antonio, I think Antonio. I think it was publicly. He is very positive that Eriksen is coming to Inter," Mourinho told UK newspapers when asked who from Inter had been quoted about the Dane, via The Guardian.

    "We shouldn't speak about players from other clubs until they become our players. You ask me about Gedson [Fernandes] since the moment Gedson's name was on the screen and I told you nothing.

    "You protect everybody. Is it a question of respect? I don't want to give you a headline. That's up to you.

    "If Inter are confident, they are confident because they are ready to make us an offer, which didn't happen yet. So when I see people speaking, especially people with responsibilities, I am a little bit surprised."

    Mourinho coached Inter from 2008 to 2010, leading the club to two Serie A titles and a Champions League crown.

    But the Portuguese tactician said no transfer move would impact his relationship with the club.

    "This is not my Inter. I have no connections with the people [running the club] so I think it's nothing to do with that," Mourinho said.

    "Nothing can change my feeling with Inter. It's not a situation with a player that is going to change my feeling with the club and the fans. No chance."

  • Klopp: Impossible to repeat Man Utd's dominance under Ferguson now Klopp: Impossible to repeat Man Utd's dominance under Ferguson now

    Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp believes it is impossible to match the dominance Manchester United enjoyed under Alex Ferguson.

    Ferguson led United to 13 Premier League titles, a run that began in 1992-93 and ended 20 years later.

    Liverpool are aiming for a first league title in 30 years and hold a 14-point lead at the top ahead of hosting United at Anfield on Sunday.

    But Klopp believes times have changed so much it is impossible to dominate like United did across the 1990s and early 2000s and Liverpool managed in the 1970s and '80s.

    "To be honest I don't think it is possible. I don't think the dominance like they had is possible again," he told UK newspapers.

    "Football changed completely, the power of different clubs changed completely. We made a couple of good decisions – that is why we got better. Other teams have the same chance.

    "Players are coming up, make decisions. If a midfield player comes on the market and one club doesn't need him, the other club needs him and can get him. Next year he might not be on the market.

    "It is like up and down."

    Coming off a second-place finish last season, to go with the Champions League crown, Liverpool are unbeaten through 21 league games this campaign.

    But while he accepts his side may not dominate, Klopp wants Liverpool to be regular contenders.

    "I wouldn't say United in their time won a lot of games 4-0 or 5-0 but they were predictable wins, and that is clear," he said.

    "We won a lot of games 1-0 or 2-1 and had to really dig in properly to do so, so I don't see this type of thing.

    "But it is important that we can fight every year for it and that is all I need."

  • Can Man U snap Liverpool's win streak? Can Man U snap Liverpool's win streak?

    This weekend all eyes turn to the EPL where Manchester United tackle unbeaten Liverpool.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.