EPL

Kean certain to stay at Everton in January – Silva

By Sports Desk November 23, 2019

Everton manager Marco Silva is adamant Moise Kean will not leave the club in January.

The former Juventus striker's future has become a matter for speculation following his father's admission that moving to Goodison Park was a "mistake".

Kean has failed to score in his nine Premier League appearances and, according to reports, could be offered a return to Serie A when the transfer window reopens, with AC Milan and Roma rumoured to be potential destinations.

Silva, however, insists the teenager will be staying on Merseyside.

Asked about the prospect of a January exit, the Toffees boss told a news conference: "No, definitely not. It doesn't make sense for us.

"The situation with Moise Kean is the same as when we signed him. Nothing has changed.

"When we signed him we knew we were signing a player with talent who had good moments with his previous club at a high level, but in short periods of four or five starts for Juventus, and that coming to the Premier League would be completely different for him, even if he was coming from a high level.

"The time so far has proved all of that. We won't allow him to go. They are just rumours."

Kean, a full Italy international, scored twice for the Azzurri's Under-21s in a 6-0 win over Armenia during the week.

Silva has confirmed he will be in the squad when Everton host struggling Norwich City on Saturday.

Related items

  • Al Shabab sign Sevilla playmaker Banega Al Shabab sign Sevilla playmaker Banega

    Ever Banega will leave Sevilla to join Al Shabab at the end of the season, the Saudi Arabian side have confirmed.

    Banega, 31, is currently in his second spell at Sevilla, who he initially joined from Valencia in 2014 before leaving for Inter in 2016.

    However, the midfielder spent just one season at San Siro before returning to the Andalusian club, where he remains a regular having started 19 LaLiga matches so far this season

    The Argentine is out of contract in June, though, and Al Shabab have now confirmed Banega has agreed to a three-year deal.

    Six-time Saudi champions Al Shabab finished fifth in the Pro League in 2018-19.

  • Chelsea captain Azpilicueta fires warning as Blues edge through FA Cup test at Hull Chelsea captain Azpilicueta fires warning as Blues edge through FA Cup test at Hull

    Cesar Azpilicueta said Chelsea lost their grip and control in the FA Cup win at Hull City, claiming players were too eager to put themselves before the team's best interests.

    The Spaniard played the full 90 minutes against the Championship side, as Chelsea battled out a 2-1 victory on their travels.

    Chelsea were dominant for the first 70 minutes and should have added to goals from Michy Batshuayi and Fikayo Tomori, but they allowed Hull too much of the ball after that point and almost paid the price.

    A fortunate reply from Kamil Grosicki, whose free-kick took a big deflection off Mateo Kovacic to wrong-foot Willy Caballero, saw the Tigers claw their way back into the match with 12 minutes remaining.

    Hull had chances to force a replay too, with Chelsea forced into some desperate and often untidy defending to remain ahead.

    "With the chances we had, we cannot concede in these kind of circumstances and we have to control better," Chelsea captain Azpilicueta said.

    "We know we have to improve our game if we want to improve as a team and go far, because tonight was a night we could have handled much better.

    "It's not the first game where we didn't manage the game well, and at the end there we were on our box suffering. Sometimes we can be punished but tonight not, but we know we have to improve."

    Speaking on BT Sport, Azpilicueta added: "For moments we stopped playing as a team and we started doing individual actions that is not our game and we got punished.

    "And if we want to play against the best teams and to fight for trophies, we have to improve."

    The absence of top scorer Tammy Abraham, who has an ankle injury, meant Chelsea were reliant on the likes of Batshuayi and Pedro – the latter could have scored at least twice but failed to convert chances.

    Goalscorer Tomori, who headed in a free-kick from Ross Barkley to put Chelsea 2-0 up after 64 minutes, said Frank Lampard's men would have been able to cruise home if they were able to finish the openings they carved out when on top.

    "In the first half we probably could have killed the game, but we didn't take our chances," Tomori said.

    "We said at half-time that because we hadn't taken our chances we had to be solid at the back, try to score another one, but we need to be more clinical.

    "I think my goal came at a good time, but it got a bit difficult towards the end when they scored the free-kick.

    "It's a one-off game and teams want to go for it. They were never going to stop and we knew that.

    "If we'd got a third goal it would have been a lot easier for us but we didn't manage to get that so we had to ride it out."

  • LaLiga president condemns 'step back' after Williams makes racism complaint LaLiga president condemns 'step back' after Williams makes racism complaint

    LaLiga president Javier Tebas condemned an awful day for Spanish football after Inaki Williams reported racist abuse while Barcelona and Valencia fans clashed at Mestalla.

    Athletic Bilbao striker Williams said he was racially abused by Espanyol supporters during their top-flight match on Saturday.

    The forward passed on a complaint to Athletic captain Iker Muniain, who in turn spoke with referee Jose Maria Sanchez Martinez, while Williams appeared to clash with fans as he was substituted.

    Elsewhere, supporters of Barca and Valencia were involved in violent confrontations ahead of a match the home side won 2-0, handing Blaugrana head coach Quique Setien his first defeat.

    Tebas vowed LaLiga would investigate both incidents, posting on Twitter: "Today we have taken a step back in the work started years ago.

    "The violent incidents of Barcelona and Valencia, the racist insults to Inaki Williams, they do a lot of damage to all of Spanish football.

    "LaLiga takes responsibility. We will look with the clubs where the error is."

    Williams posted a message on his official Twitter account, writing: "It is very sad that today we continue to see racism in football. We have to end it among EVERYONE. Thanks for your support."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.