Liverpool 'greedy for more' in Champions League after booking last-16 spot

By Sports Desk December 10, 2019

Liverpool are "greedy for more" after advancing to the last 16 of the Champions League as Group E winners by beating Salzburg 2-0 on Tuesday, said Andy Robertson.

Two second-half goals in the space of 100 seconds from Naby Keita and Mohamed Salah ensured the holders finished ahead of Napoli, who beat Genk 4-0, in their section.

Keita headed home following a brilliant run and cutback from Sadio Mane, while Salah slotted home from an acute angle at the edge of the box after rounding Cican Stankovic.

"Of course, we're greedy for more. We've got people saying we've struggled through and we've got four more points than we did last year," Robertson told BT Sport.

"Top of the group and now we go on to the last 16. We know what we can do there and it's all about us doing it on the big stage and we've proven over the past two years we can do it and we'll hopefully do it again.

"We knew they were trying to make history for their club - they've never been in the last 16. They feel they're a Champions League team and they're very confident in that. It was all about coming here and riding that wave.

"We had the biggest chances in the first 45, so it was up to us to be a bit more clinical. We knew if we kept going that chances would come and, luckily, we put them away, and then the lads defending as a whole team to keep a clean sheet when you need to is so important."

On Salah's goal, he added: "It was probably his toughest chance of the game. Mo had a couple of great chances and they [Salah, Mane and Roberto Firmino] put so much pressure on themselves to score goals and stuff.

"It was a ridiculous goal, to be fair. I didn't know how it got in from there - a fantastic finish on his weaker foot."

The opening goal was created and scored by former Salzburg players in Mane and Keita, and the Senegalese forward sympathised with his former club.

"It was a really tough game today, but we expected that. We created many chances in the second half and Naby scored a wonderful goal, so I'm happy for him against his former club. We deserved to win tonight and we are happy," said Mane.

"It's always nice to come back here because it's where it all started for me. I'm really grateful to the club, the fans and the people here. Sorry guys, but it's football, we have to do it and that's it!"

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Tottenham to spend big on Willian Jose? Rumour Has It: Tottenham to spend big on Willian Jose?

    Have Tottenham finally found an alternative to Harry Kane?

    According to reports, Spurs are in talks to sign Real Sociedad's Willian Jose with just over a week to go until the transfer window closes.

    But it could take in excess of £50million to finally end their search for a second out-and-out striker.

     

    TOP STORY – SPURS TO DIG DEEP FOR SOCIEDAD STRIKER

    Krzysztof Piatek, Islam Slimani and Fernando Llorente have all been linked but Tottenham have now set their sights on 28-year-old Willian Jose, reports the Guardian.

    The Brazilian was left out of his side's Copa del Rey clash with Espanyol on Wednesday and could now be headed for north London.

    Talks are underway, the Guardian states, although Spurs could be forced to contemplate meeting Willian Jose's €70million (£59m) release clause as Sociedad seek adequate compensation.

    The one-time Real Madrid man has scored eight LaLiga goals this term after reaching double figures in each of the previous three seasons.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Dani Ceballos has asked Real Madrid to terminate his Arsenal loan and find him a move elsewhere, according to Spanish radio station Cadena SER.

    - The Gunners are set to suffer another blow as Ligue 1 outfit Lyon prepare to confirm the €25million signing of rumoured Atletico Madrid target Bruno Guimaraes, reports L'Equipe.

    - Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich will allow Philippe Coutinho to return to Barcelona at the end of his loan spell if, as desired, the Bundesliga giants land Leroy Sane and Bayer Leverkusen's Kai Havertz, reports Bild.

    - After sealing a deal for Reinier Jesus, Madrid could return to raid Flamengo for 19-year-old forward Lincoln, says Mundo Deportivo.

    - Leicester City plan to bolster their Champions League ambitions by splashing £15million on Southampton centre-back Jannik Vestergaard, according to The Sun.

    - Serie A side Milan have submitted an 18-month loan offer for Manchester City-linked Florentino Luis, claims CalcioMercato. The 20-year-old defensive midfielder plays for Benfica.

  • Real Madrid have to be alert to Mbappe signs amid links - Nacho Real Madrid have to be alert to Mbappe signs amid links - Nacho

    Real Madrid defender Nacho Fernandez said the LaLiga giants must take notice of Kylian Mbappe's hints amid links to the Santiago Bernabeu. 

    Speculation over Paris Saint-Germain star Mbappe continues to make headlines as Zinedine Zidane's Madrid reportedly eye the France international.

    Zidane has made no secret of his admiration for Mbappe, who dismissed talk over PSG contract negotiations earlier this month, while the 21-year-old revealed the Madrid boss was his idol growing up.

    Nacho was asked about Mbappe following Madrid's 3-1 Copa del Rey win over Unionistas de Salamanca on Wednesday.

    "If he's sending us signs, we have to be alert to receiving them," Nacho told reporters.

    After scoring 33 Ligue 1 goals last season, Mbappe has 13 for defending champions PSG this term.

    Mbappe has 21 goals across all competitions for Thomas Tuchel's PSG, who are preparing for the Champions League last 16 against Borussia Dortmund.

  • Zidane confirms Bale ankle scare on Real Madrid return Zidane confirms Bale ankle scare on Real Madrid return

    Gareth Bale will be monitored after suffering a minor ankle twist on his impressive return to Real Madrid's starting side, head coach Zidane Zidane confirmed on Wednesday.

    Bale scored the opener in a 3-1 Copa del Rey win over Unionistas de Salamanca but was unable to continue beyond the 53rd minute midweek.

    Wales star Bale, who has battled injury and illness this season, was making his first appearance since the LaLiga victory against Getafe on January 4.

    "He's twisted his ankle a bit," Zidane said. "I don't think it's much but, as always, we'll see tomorrow. He couldn't go on."

    Bale's forced withdrawal appeared to unsettle Madrid, who conceded a stunning equaliser four minutes later as Alvaro Romero surged forward and fired past goalkeeper Alphonse Areola.

    Juan Gongora's own goal after the hour and a late Brahim Diaz strike saved Zidane's men from an upset and extended their winning streak to five games in all competitions.

    The Los Blancos boss insisted he was satisfied despite flirting with a premature exit against the third-tier minnows.

    "It was a tough night at a tough place to come and play," he said.

    "We struggled with moving the ball and we didn't see much great football, but that was down to the pitch, not more than that.

    "We're pleased because in the end we're going through to the last-16 and that's what we came to achieve."

    Madrid - level on points with leaders and defending champions Barcelona - visit Real Valladolid in LaLiga on Sunday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.