Simeone hopeful Morata is back on the goal trail for Atletico

By Sports Desk December 14, 2019

Diego Simeone believes there are few strikers in football with the ability of Atletico Madrid frontman Alvaro Morata.

Spain international Morata found the breakthrough in Saturday's 2-0 win over Osasuna – Atleti's first victory in four LaLiga outings that moved them back up to fourth in the table.

The former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Juventus forward scored in seven consecutive games for club and country as October became November but ended a six-game drought when he powered Kieran Trippier's free-kick past inspired Osasuna goalkeeper Sergio Herrera.

Simeone has been linked to making attacking reinforcements during the January transfer window, with Timo Werner, Edinson Cavani and Olivier Giroud all touted as possible Atletico targets, but he offered a ringing endorsement of his current number nine.

"Hopefully he'll return to the way he was before the [international] break," he told a post-match news conference.

"He was scoring in almost every game.

"There aren't many people like that in football and we want to make the most of him."

Manuel Sanchez made his Atletico debut at left-back and Simeone felt the 19-year-old's impressive showing was fitting as it came on the evening long-serving defender Juanfran bade farewell to the club's faithful before kick-off.

"I loved him," he said.

"It's not easy. He's young, growing and has been working a lot with us.

"He has to keep growing and this was an important moment for his career.

"Today, Juanfran said goodbye and another debuted. Someone new was born."

Related items

  • Barcelona sign former Inter striker Rey Manaj for €700,000 Barcelona sign former Inter striker Rey Manaj for €700,000

    Barcelona have signed Rey Manaj from Albacete for an initial €700,000, with the former Inter striker agreeing a contract until June 2023.

    The fee could rise by €2million in performance-based bonuses over the next three and a half years, with 22-year-old Manaj set to line-up for Barca B in the third tier.

    After starting his senior career with Cremonese, the Albania international – who has a €50m release clause in his Barca contract – moved to Inter and made six appearances for the club during a stint that included loans to Pescara, Pisa and Granada.

    Manaj joined Albacete in July 2018 on loan with an obligation to buy. He scored nine goals in 39 league appearances for the Segunda Division side.

  • Real Madrid sign Reinier from Flamengo Real Madrid sign Reinier from Flamengo

    Real Madrid have completed the signing of Brazilian teenager Reinier Jesus from Flamengo.

    The attacker has long been linked with a €30million switch to Madrid, with reports previously suggesting he would sign after turning 18 on January 19.

    Reinier's arrival was subsequently confirmed on Monday, agreeing a six-and-a-half-year deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    He scored six goals in 14 appearances for Flamengo in Brazil's Serie A last year.

    During his brief stint in Flamengo's senior side, Reinier collected medals for both the Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores titles – though he did only make a single appearance in the latter.

    He was also a part of the Flamengo squad that narrowly missed out on the Club World Cup title last month, as Liverpool beat them 1-0 in the final.

    A technical, creative and powerful attacking midfielder, Reinier initially attracted attention for his performances with Brazil in the 2019 South American Under-17 Championship.

    Captaining his country, Reinier netted three times – a figured bettered by only three players – as Brazil otherwise disappointed, failing to get beyond the first group phase after finishing fourth in Group B.

    Despite links with Madrid, Reinier signed a new contract with Flamengo in November – the deal reportedly including a €35million release clause.

    Madrid confirmed Reinier will link up with their second string Real Madrid Castilla after his participation in CONMEBOL's Pre-Olympic Tournament finishes in early February.

  • West Ham flop Roberto joins Alaves on loan West Ham flop Roberto joins Alaves on loan

    West Ham goalkeeper Roberto has signed for Deportivo Alaves on loan for the rest of the season after a disappointing first six months in the Premier League.

    The 33-year-old was brought to London Stadium on a free transfer at the end of May as a back-up to established number one Lukasz Fabianski, signing a two-year deal.

    But an early hip injury for Fabianski handed Roberto his opportunity in the first team.

    The Spaniard played eight times in the league but was at fault for a number of goals during a slump in form and was eventually replaced by David Martin.

    Fabianski suffered another injury earlier this month, yet West Ham have brought back Darren Randolph from Middlesbrough in a reported £4million transfer.

    Roberto has subsequently been allowed to return to LaLiga on a temporary deal.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.