EPL

Klopp seething as Africa Cup of Nations rescheduling looks set to hurt Liverpool

By Sports Desk January 17, 2020

Jurgen Klopp said it was "a catastrophe" for Liverpool to learn next year's Africa Cup of Nations has been moved to start in January.

The tournament in Cameroon had been due to be played in June and July, during the off-season for many European leagues, and Liverpool had been planning accordingly.

However, concerns over weather conditions at that time of year meant it was decided to move it on the calendar, which also means there will be no clash with an expanded Club World Cup in China.

While the Africa Cup of Nations will go ahead in cooler temperatures, there was no disguising Klopp's heated response to the decision.

"[It's] for us a catastrophe in that moment losing three players," Klopp said.

"We have absolutely no power. If we say we don't let him go, the player is suspended. How is that possible that the company who pays the player cannot decide if the player has to stay or not?"

He could lose the likes of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Naby Keita for weeks on end, putting a major dent in plans for what could be a season where Liverpool, this term's runaway leaders, are defending the Premier League title.

Klopp admitted his transfer plans could also be affected by the Confederation of African Football's (CAF) decision, saying it was a move that did African players no favours.

The tournament will run from January 9 to February 6, CAF said.

"Do we really want to open this book now?" Klopp asked, when the subject was raised in a news conference on Friday.

"I couldn't respect the African Cup of Nations more than I do. I like the competition and I've watched it a lot in the past. It's an obvious problem that you play a tournament in the middle of the season.

"I get it that it makes more sense for Africa to play it maybe in our winter, their winter as well, so when the weather is better for them.

"A couple of things which are not OK – one thing is, FIFA plans a tournament [the Club World Cup] in the summer of 2021, a week later or so than the actual Africa Cup of Nations will have started [under the previous plans], I think, or maybe two weeks later, another tournament for a lot of world-class players.

"I mentioned that in the past. I'm not sure if that was part of the decision, when they thought it makes no sense to play it after that tournament so let's play it again in the winter, I don't know.

"Or was the weather the real [reason]? It means another tournament. It's too many tournaments, still.

"The other thing is, it doesn't help African players. We will not sell Sadio, Mo or Naby now because they have a tournament in January or February, but if we have to make a decision about bringing in a player, it's a massive one.

"These decisions are made without asking players, without asking managers, without asking anybody, it's just a decision. FIFA doesn't look like being involved. They're happy having their 24-team [Club] World Cup, offering a lot of money for all the clubs involved. We forget these tournaments are played by players - they don't have a break."

Related items

  • Ronaldo still among the best, but Lyon have no plans to stop him - Garcia Ronaldo still among the best, but Lyon have no plans to stop him - Garcia

    Rudi Garcia says Cristiano Ronaldo is still among the best players on the planet but the Lyon boss has no plans in place to stop the Juventus forward.

    Lyon welcome Italian champions Juve to the Groupama Stadium on Wednesday for the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

    Ronaldo scored for a record-equalling 11th-straight Serie A match in Saturday's 2-1 win at SPAL and boasts 65 goals in the knockout rounds of the Champions League.

    Lyon head coach Garcia acknowledged the threat Ronaldo poses, but has warned his players there is more to Juventus than one player.

    "I don't know him but he's a great professional," ex-Roma chief Garcia said at a pre-match news conference. "He works more than the others, both before and after sessions.

    "It is interesting for the sport to have such players. He is among the best on the planet and it's nice to face him. 

    "There is no anti-Ronaldo plan - we have to deal with all of their champions. If we need an anti-Ronaldo plan, we need an anti-Dybala plan, an anti-Higuain plan. 

    "There are too many good players on this team to solve problems individually. We're going to have to solve them collectively."

    Ronaldo has made a habit of scoring crucial goals on the European stage, but Lyon striker Moussa Dembele fired blanks in all six of Lyon's Group G matches.

    The 23-year-old has scored 20 goals in 38 games in all competitions this term and does not feel under any pressure to get off the mark in the Champions League.

    "There are a lot of expectations for my first Champions League goal, but there's no pressure on me," he told reporters. 

    "I want to play my game, doing my best for the team.

    "I am physically in good shape and try to do my best both before and after training to ensure that I am at the top of my game."

  • Man City go double denim for Champions League trip to Madrid Man City go double denim for Champions League trip to Madrid

    Manchester City's players turned on the style ahead of their clash with Real Madrid, with Pep Guardiola's squad travelling for the Champions League fixture decked out in double denim.

    The squad wore blue jeans and denim shirts from brand DSquared2 over the top of black tee-shirts on their departure from Manchester on Tuesday.

    The choice of attire certainly made a statement - a fashion statement, that is - as they set off for the Spanish capital.

    Bernardo Silva gave a thumbs up, perhaps offering his approval of the outfit, in one of the pictures posted by the Premier League side on Twitter, though they were quickly taken down.

    Raheem Sterling - who has not played since suffering a thigh injury in the 2-0 defeat at Tottenham at the start of February - was among the travelling party, suggesting the England international is set to feature in the game.

    Madrid will hope to make the most of home advantage on Wednesday in the first leg of the last-16 tie, with the return fixture taking place at the Etihad Stadium on March 17.

  • Woodward promises to continue Man Utd rebuild with Solskjaer at the helm Woodward promises to continue Man Utd rebuild with Solskjaer at the helm

    Manchester United's squad rebuild will continue with an emphasis on academy products and "world-class recruits", and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at the wheel, according to executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward.

    United announced their second quarter fiscal results for 2020 on Tuesday, with much of the focus on a 17 per cent fall in operating profits to £36.5million, a seven per cent increase in commercial revenues and the club's net debt inflating by 23 per cent.

    But Woodward, speaking on a conference call with investors, highlighted the club's commitment to replenishing the squad.

    United added Bruno Fernandes to the team in January, with the Portugal international making a solid early impact, and Woodward outlined the club's plans to continue adding ready-made "world-class" players and highly rated academy products to Solskjaer's squad.

    In a statement to investors, Woodward said: "Now, I want to provide an overview of progress towards our number one priority - winning trophies with a team playing entertaining, attacking football.

    "Since our last call in November we have progressed to the knockout stages of the Europa League; we are through to the fifth round in the FA Cup, and we remain in the mix to qualify for the Champions League.

    "This season is one of rebuild, with many changes to the squad - in terms of players who have left or gone out on loan; new players who we have brought into the club; and academy graduates that we have brought through to the first team. This process will continue as we implement our plan and our footballing vision under Ole and his coaching staff.

    "Despite being linked in the media to 111 players in January, our acquisition of just one of them - Bruno Fernandes - is an important step in that direction, demonstrating our commitment to adding experienced, world-class recruits to the exciting crop of academy graduates that are at the heart of this developing team. We will take the same planned, disciplined, approach this coming summer.

    "In addition to the first team signings, somewhat under the radar, we have also made a number of exciting youth acquisitions in the past year, reflecting our commitment to bringing the best talent into our academy.

    "So far our academy graduates have contributed over a third of first team playing minutes this season and over half of our goals, emphasising our academy's status as one of the most productive in elite-level European football.

    "This is an important competitive advantage for us and represents an excellent return on the fourfold increase in investment that we have made in the academy over recent years."

    Fittingly, shortly before Woodward's call, United announced new contracts for Under-23 goalkeeper Paul Woolston and 18-year-old full-back Ethan Laird, the latter of whom featured for the first-team in two Europa League group matches earlier this season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.