EPL

Inter director confirms Eriksen bid and agreement for Moses

By Sports Desk January 20, 2020

Inter have submitted an offer to Tottenham for Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen, according to the Italian club's sporting director Piero Ausilio.

Eriksen has entered the final six months of his contract at Spurs and been the subject of frequent transfer speculation, with Inter long seen as one of the favourites to land him.

Inter have not been particularly discreet with regards to their interest, as CEO Giuseppe Marotta was spotted with Eriksen's agent, while Ausilio previously suggested he was confident of getting a deal done.

Such tactics have not done down well with Jose Mourinho, who accused his former club of showing a lack of respect – though Inter insisted they have done nothing wrong, reminding Spurs they are fully entitled to open discussions with the midfielder.

They seem to have taken the next step in their pursuit, with Ausilio confirming a bid has been lodged.

Speaking to Sky Sport Italia, Ausilio said: "We just made an official bid to Tottenham to sign Christian Eriksen and now we're waiting.

"Many clubs are interested but we are confident, trying to get a top player like Eriksen."

Ausilio also revealed the club have reached an agreement with Chelsea for Victor Moses after Frank Lampard confirmed the Nigerian's loan with Fenerbahce had been ended with the view to him going elsewhere.

And Olivier Giroud – also owned by Chelsea – could yet potentially link up with Moses at San Siro.

"We've reached an agreement with Chelsea for Victor Moses," he added. "Giroud is a possibility if we sell one striker in this transfer market."

Related items

  • Werner 'very proud' to be linked with Liverpool move Werner 'very proud' to be linked with Liverpool move

    RB Leipzig star Timo Werner said he was "very proud" to be linked with a move to Liverpool, labelling the Premier League side the world's best.

    Werner, 23, has been linked with the European champions after scoring 26 goals in 32 games for Leipzig this season.

    The Germany international's second-half penalty helped Leipzig to a 1-0 win over Tottenham in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Wednesday.

    Speaking afterwards, Werner discussed the reports linking him with a move to Liverpool and the forward did little to play down a possible switch.

    "Liverpool is the best team in the world at the moment and when you're linked with that team it makes me very proud but in case of that it's a pleasure," he told Viasport.

    "But I know that in Liverpool play a lot of good players and I have to improve myself to learn much more things to get on this level to play there."

    Werner's 58th-minute spot-kick against Spurs in London has Leipzig on track to reach the Champions League quarter-finals.

    But the 29-time Germany international warned his side there was work to do against Tottenham, who produced a thrilling comeback away to Ajax in last season's semi-finals.

    "Tottenham is a good team, they showed last year that they have the mentality that they can come back in these games," Werner said.

    "We have to do the same like today and we have a good start for the first half [of the tie] and we will go on."

  • Mourinho says Spurs stars are 'dead' after Leipzig loss, warns team are 'in trouble' Mourinho says Spurs stars are 'dead' after Leipzig loss, warns team are 'in trouble'

    Jose Mourinho mounted a passionate defence of his Tottenham stars but admitted they are "really in trouble" on the fitness front after a 1-0 home defeat against RB Leipzig in the Champions League.

    Tottenham's first-leg loss in the last-16 tie on Wednesday leaves last season's Champions League runners-up with a major challenge for the second match, which takes place in Germany on March 10.

    Timo Werner's penalty for Leipzig settled the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium clash midweek, with the home side struggling to make an impression against the visiting defence until the closing stages.

    Losing Harry Kane and Son Heung-min to injuries this year has left Tottenham with a lack of bite in attack, and that showed against Leipzig.

    Mourinho even revealed Erik Lamela was thrust into action off the bench despite having been unable to train with the first team after an injury lay-off.

    When it was suggested to him that the "real Spurs" showed up in the closing stages of the match, Mourinho was triggered and said: "What do you mean, the real Spurs?

    "Come on, let's be loyal to the boys and tell that they did everything they could do."

    He outlined the injury strife that has weakened his hand for such big matches, and despite believing Spurs might still turn around the Leipzig tie, Mourinho is worried his remaining fit players will soon tire.

    "I thank the fans for their support to the boys and what I'm worried with is not with the 1-0. The 1-0 is an open result. There is the possibility we can go there and win the tie," he told BT Sport.

    "What worries me is these are our players for the next I don't know how many matches.

    "We have to play in two days again [on Saturday at Chelsea]. You could see Lucas [Moura], absolutely dead; [Steven] Bergwijn, absolutely dead; [Giovani] Lo Celso, dead.

    "So we can look at it in two perspectives. One perspective is I'm so proud of them and they did absolutely fantastic. Another perspective is that that's our situation. We are really in trouble.

    "What worries me is we have Premier League and FA Cup to play as well and that is our situation."

    Mourinho is clearly staggered his players have a 12:30 GMT kick-off against his former club Chelsea on Saturday.

    He made that point, speaking to the same broadcaster which will show the Premier League match.

    After offering added praise to his players, saying he "couldn't be happier to have guys like them", Mourinho added: "But here we go, and Chelsea [will have been] drinking sparkling water with lemon and watching the game on TV.

    "And Saturday morning, thank you very much for the choice."

  • Man City players have 'all trust' in club despite Champions League ban, says De Bruyne Man City players have 'all trust' in club despite Champions League ban, says De Bruyne

    Kevin De Bruyne insisted nothing has changed at Manchester City and said the players have "all trust" in the club after they were hit with a Champions League ban.

    City were handed a two-season ban from European competition by UEFA last week after being found to have committed "serious breaches" of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

    The Premier League champions have denied any wrongdoing and intend to appeal, but speculation has mounted over manager Pep Guardiola and their star players' futures.

    De Bruyne starred in a 2-0 Premier League win over West Ham on Wednesday and the playmaker said there was no change at City despite off-field events.

    "Obviously we were on holiday when the statement happened. We came back and played football. The situation is what it is," he told Sky Sports.

    "We came back and trained like normal and in the end nothing really changed. We just play the games we have, like today when we gave a good performance.

    "We still have a lot to play for and let's hope we can find our rhythm as soon as possible and win some titles."

    De Bruyne added: "The team give the statement. I don't know what else we can do other than play football. In the end the situation will show what it will show.

    "The club is doing its thing and we have all trust in them."

    Goals from Rodri and De Bruyne helped City consolidate second place and close the gap to Liverpool to 22 points in their first game since February 2.

    De Bruyne felt the break impacted Guardiola's side, who travel to third-placed Leicester City on Saturday.

    "It was okay. I think we saw it's been three weeks without football and we felt a little bit of rustiness, but we played a good game," he said.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.