EPL

Lampard laments Chelsea's missed chances

By Sports Desk February 17, 2020

Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard lamented his side's failure to take their chances after a 2-0 loss to Manchester United on Monday.

Goals from Anthony Martial and Harry Maguire saw Chelsea's winless run in the Premier League extend to four games.

Chelsea hold just a one-point advantage in fourth, ahead of Tottenham, while seventh-placed United are within three.

Lampard wants to see his team capitalise on their opportunities, with their tally of 43 Premier League goals well below the top three of Liverpool (61), Manchester City (65) and Leicester City (54).

"I don't like losing games," he told a news conference.

"I don't like the way we are losing games because we're losing games that clearly, particularly at home, where we have had big share of possession, big chances in the game, lots of shots on goal, at goal, around goal and we're not finishing them and it is a reality that is getting clearer all the time.

"We are not getting enough goals from striker areas. Tammy [Abraham] had his period earlier in the season, now we are not getting enough. We're not getting enough goals from wide areas. That is a fact.

"It is hard to win games. You can dominate them as much as you want, but this Premier League not many teams can keep clean sheets week in, week out.

"You have to score goals to give you a feeling of superiority in the game and we start a lot of games very well. I can hardly ever really look at the team and go 'started slow, bit sloppy today'. There was a couple of games but not that many."

While Abraham has scored 13 Premier League goals this season, he has just one in 2020, while Christian Pulisic – who alongside Mason Mount has five – is out injured.

Lampard added: "We start pretty well but if you don't score you leave teams in the game.

"Obviously we made a couple of silly moments in terms of allowing them headers in our box, particularly the set-piece that obviously changed the result."

Chelsea are next in action with a crucial clash at home to Tottenham on Saturday.

Related items

  • Trippier tells Man Utd-linked McNeil not to rush Burnley exit Trippier tells Man Utd-linked McNeil not to rush Burnley exit

    Dwight McNeil should be in no rush to leave Burnley despite reported interest from Manchester United, according to former Clarets defender Kieran Trippier.

    Winger McNeil has been one of Burnley's star performers this season, scoring two goals and providing five assists in 29 Premier League appearances.

    The England Under-21 international's form has prompted talk of a switch to United, among a host of other top clubs, in the post-season transfer window.

    However, Atletico Madrid defender Trippier, who left Burnley for Tottenham in 2015, would encourage McNeil to remain at Turf Moor for now.

    "Dwight has burst on to the scene, and when he trained with us last season for England, he was brilliant," Trippier said, as quoted by the Burnley Express.

    "He's got to stay focused, keep performing well while he's young, and his time will come.

    "I'd say, 'Don't rush anything, just keep playing.' And Dwight is at the right club to do that. He just needs to keep playing games, because that's the most important thing for somebody his age.

    "He's got the right manager to guide him, and he'll be in no rush to go anywhere. If I was him, I'd stay put and keep playing games.

    "Sometimes it can be difficult when you go to another club. I've experienced it. I went to Tottenham and I didn't play for months, and you get frustrated.

    "For somebody like him, who is doing really well, why would you move now? There's no point. Just keep performing well on the biggest stage and stay put.

    "I was in a different situation to him. I'd just been relegated, so I needed to go to a Premier League club.

    "He's playing well week in week out for a Premier League club. He's a big player for Burnley. I'd stay put, if I was him, and keep enjoying his football."

  • Ighalo yet to receive Man Utd extension offer Ighalo yet to receive Man Utd extension offer

    Odion Ighalo is yet to receive an offer to extend his stay at Manchester United beyond the end of this season.

    Former Watford striker Ighalo joined United on loan until the end of the campaign from Shanghai Shenhua at the end of the January transfer window.

    The deal sparked derision in some quarters, but the 30-year-old Nigeria international has scored in each of his three United starts. He has four goals from eight appearances in total.

    United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has praised Ighalo for offering the Red Devils something different in attack, though it remains to be seen if he has a long-term future at Old Trafford.

    "There is no offer on the table yet because the season is still on, I've not finished my loan deal," Ighalo told Elegbete TV.

    "I don't just take decisions alone in my life. I have a principle and I have a guideline for everything I do. I always pray to God to direct me.

    "I have seen so many tweets about this. I have seen so many people going crazy, [saying] 'Go back to China', some say 'Stay with Man United'.

    "Have you seen me say a word? I've not said a word because I don't have anything to say. When the season is finished and I get offers from the two teams, then I will sit and think about it, pray about it and whatever God says I should do, I will go with that.

    "I don't just sit down and take decisions, and I don't get carried away with whatever people say. I came to Manchester United to play for a pay cut because I wanted to. So anything could still happen, but I want the season to finish and my loan to finish. Then I will see everything I have on the ground.

    "Man United might come with an offer, another team might come with an offer. You never know.

    "You don't just rush and do things: 'I'm going here, I'm going here.' I have to sit down and finish the season well, sit down with my agent, see what's on the ground: 'A, B, C, D, is on the ground. Okay we have to pick.'"

  • Sane could cost €30m but Flick would prefer Werner at Bayern, claims Michael Rummenigge Sane could cost €30m but Flick would prefer Werner at Bayern, claims Michael Rummenigge

    Bayern Munich could sign Leroy Sane for as little as €30million but head coach Hansi Flick would prefer Timo Werner, according to Michael Rummenigge.

    Sane had appeared likely to join the Bundesliga champions last August until an anterior cruciate ligament injury left a transfer impractical.

    The Germany winger was close to making a comeback for Manchester City until the season was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic, and it is believed Bayern will consider another move for him in the next transfer window.

    They have also been heavily linked with RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner, who reportedly has a release clause in his contract worth in the region of €60m that will become active after 2019-20.

    Rummenigge, who won three league titles and three domestic cups with Bayern between 1982 and 1988, thinks Werner is the preferred choice of Flick as he explores the idea of a system using two strikers.

    However, he thinks Sane could be available for a reduced fee given he is close to the final 12 months of his contract and City could be keen to recoup some funds.

    "Bayern have put their concrete transfer plans on hold and, during the coronavirus break, are concentrating primarily on contract extensions. This is completely understandable," he wrote in his column for Sportbuzzer.

    "Nevertheless, they'll already be looking at the squad for the coming season. Two names in particular are mentioned again and again: Leroy Sane and Timo Werner.

    "It all depends on the price, but I can't imagine Bayern getting both national-team players, especially since I heard Joshua Zirkzee will be promoted even more in future.

    "Hansi Flick has already indicated he could play with two up front in his team in future. In short: Werner would be a really good buy, who would suit [Robert] Lewandowski and who could get even better alongside him.

    "I wonder why top teams don't play with two strikers more often. In home games especially, it provides a lot more danger and more work for the opposition defenders. Werner would be a suitable candidate for this change in system.

    "He'd have a fixed fee of between €50m and €60m. Bayern have these funds and I also believe Flick would prefer Werner's arrival to Sane's transfer. The cruciate ligament tear, which he suffered last August, leaves traces and slows down his development. It will probably take some time before Sane returns to his old level.

    "Bayern would have bought him for €100m to €120m before the cruciate ligament rupture; a deal now could be significantly cheaper and maybe only cost €30m to €50m, because Sane's contract with Manchester City ends in 2021.

    "If the Champions League ban for City persists, the club will also need money at some point in this coronavirus period to pay their salaries."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.