EPL

Ndidi to miss Leicester City clash with Man City

By Sports Desk February 20, 2020

Wilfred Ndidi has been ruled out of Leicester City's Premier League clash with Manchester City on Saturday.

The midfielder has missed his side's past two games - draws with Chelsea and Wolves - due to a knee problem.

Manager Brendan Rodgers says he will not rush Ndidi back to face the champions and risk any setbacks in his recovery.

"Wilf won't be available for the weekend," Rodgers told reporters on Thursday. "He's still in a process to try and get fit, so we'll see how he is next week. I'm not sure.

"He's doing work inside, but you then have to progress that to outside and then when he can join the team. It's another intensity to join the team and then to play.

"We just want to make sure he's right because he's such an important player for us. It's about the long term, too. There's no timeline on it. We'll see how he progresses."

Ndidi's absence presents Rodgers with a problem in midfield, with Hamza Choudhury suspended for the game against Pep Guardiola's side and Nampalys Mendy also out with a knee injury.

"They're three excellent players and obviously we have to find a strategy and a plan to come up with a game that can see us try and get three points," he said.

"Wilf has obviously played more, but all three give you that defensive solidity, which is important for any team. They're not available, so we can't worry about that."

Rodgers went on to distance Leicester from an approach for Adam Lallana, who is expected to leave Liverpool at the end of the season.

"I've seen a lot of stuff around Adam and that we've approached Liverpool, which isn't the case," said Rodgers, who signed the player for Liverpool from Southampton in 2014.

"He's at the stage of his contract where he will have options."

Leicester, who are third, go into the game four points behind Manchester City in the table, having only won three of their past 10 league games.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Serie A season could finish in October, suggests FIGC chief Coronavirus: Serie A season could finish in October, suggests FIGC chief

    Serie A clubs could be allowed to finish the 2019-20 season as late as October, according to Italian Football Federation (FIGC) president Gabriele Gravina.

    Italy's top flight was suspended indefinitely last month due to the spread of coronavirus, and the FIGC stated on Friday that the season would not be resumed until the health and safety of all concerned could in some way be guaranteed.

    Italy has been the country hardest hit by COVID-19 in Europe, with close to 129,000 confirmed cases and more than 15,800 deaths, although official figures over recent days have indicated strict lockdown measures are having an effect on the spread of the virus.

    Gravina says the proposed date of May 17 to restart Serie A remains a possibility, but he insists it would be best to allow 2019-20 to finish much later this year if necessary, rather than declare the season cancelled.

    "It's a hypothesis," Gravina told RAI when asked if a September or October finish had been put forward. "At the moment, a possible date to restart could be May 17, but I want to clarify that this is only a hypothesis.

    "Finishing the season would be the best way not only so the 2019-20 season is not compromised, but also to avoid compromising the 2020-21 season in any way."

    There are signs Italy's stringent measures to enforce social distancing and limit all non-essential travel are working, with the number of new deaths falling over the past three days, while the rate of confirmed new cases also appears to be going down.

    However, prime minister Giuseppe Conte admitted earlier on Sunday that he cannot offer any guarantee when lockdown measures will be eased.

    "Right now, I can't say when the lockdown will end. We are following the directions of the scientific committee, but Italy was the first nation [in Europe] to face the emergency," Conte said.

    "Our response was maybe not perfect, but we have done our best based on the knowledge we have.

    "The validity of the measures we have taken has been recognised by the World Health Organization and the results indicate we're on the right path."

  • Argentina has a passion that Italy cannot match, says De Rossi Argentina has a passion that Italy cannot match, says De Rossi

    Daniele De Rossi said playing for Boca Juniors showed him Argentina has a passion for football that Italy cannot match, describing the club's La Bombonera stadium as "absurd and sensational".

    The 36-year-old, who retired from football in January, opened up about the experience of ending his career at Boca, whom he joined on a free transfer in July 2019 when his contract at Roma expired.

    He made just five appearances for Boca in the Superliga before cancelling his contract and returning to Italy to be with his family early in the new year, but said he had no regrets about the move.

    "I would need a whole quarantine to describe the emotions I experienced in those six months," the 2006 World Cup winner told Sky Sport.

    "It is a unique place, very similar to Italy - more than we think, also because half of them are of Italian origin. They live on passion for anything, from food to music, to a passion for football.

    "It's a championship that can be technically and tactically discussed, but in six months I haven't seen a player pulling back his leg or not giving 200 per cent."

    De Rossi scored on his Boca debut, in a 1-1 draw and penalty shoot-out defeat to Almagro in the Copa Argentina.

    In March it was announced he would receive a league winner's medal after Boca clinched the Superliga title, giving him an honour he failed to achieve in 18 years as a Roma player.

    But it was the atmosphere at La Bombonera that De Rossi said he would treasure above all else.

    "It is not about being a ruffian, which I don't like," he said. "But the most beautiful thing is what you see in the stands.

    "It is a warmth that we no longer have in Italy: it is pure and selfless passion.

    "La Bombonera is the most absurd and sensational stadium in the world. I wish all fans to be able to visit it during a Boca match.

    "I feel privileged to have played there, even if it didn't last long."

  • Manchester City may discipline Walker after alleged party and lockdown breach Manchester City may discipline Walker after alleged party and lockdown breach

    Kyle Walker risks punishment from Manchester City following allegations about his private life that included a breach of the UK's coronavirus lockdown.

    City said they were "disappointed" following Sunday newspaper claims that Walker hosted a party with a friend and two women at his home in Cheshire on Tuesday.

    The club said Walker's behaviour "directly contravened" their efforts to support key public services during the pandemic, and said he would face a disciplinary investigation.

    Walker's alleged breach of social distancing guidelines follows a separate episode involving Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish, who apologised after visiting a friend last weekend.

    City said in a statement: "Manchester City FC are aware of a story in a tabloid newspaper regarding the private life of Kyle Walker in relation to a breach of the UK lockdown and social distancing rules.

    "Footballers are global role models, and our staff and players have been working to support the incredible efforts of the NHS and other key workers in fighting the effects of the COVID-19 coronavirus, in any way we can. Kyle's actions in this matter have directly contravened these efforts.

    "We are disappointed to hear the allegations, note Kyle’s swift statement and apology, and will be conducting an internal disciplinary procedure in the coming days."

    Walker, 29, has made 21 Premier League appearances during the current campaign, his third season at City.

    The England full-back won back-to-back titles during his first two seasons after joining the club from Tottenham.

    He expressed regret for stepping out of line amid the allegations against him.

    "I want to take this opportunity to issue a public apology for the choices I made last week," Walker told The Sun.

    "I understand that my position as a professional footballer brings the responsibility of being a role model.

    "As such, I want to apologise to my family, friends, football club, supporters and the public for letting them down."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.