Sterling hails 'fantastic club' Real Madrid amid speculation over Man City future

By Sports Desk February 21, 2020

Raheem Sterling has described Real Madrid as "a fantastic club" amid speculation over his Manchester City future.

The LaLiga giants have been linked with a move for the 25-year-old over the past two seasons, but City's looming ban from Europe has fuelled those rumours further.

Sterling insists he is happy at City, where he has won two Premier League titles, two EFL Cups and the FA Cup since moving from Liverpool in 2015, but he cannot disguise his admiration for Zinedine Zidane's side.

"Right now, I'm at City and I'm really happy," Sterling told Madrid sports publication AS.

"But I say Real Madrid are a fantastic club. When you see the white shirt, you know exactly what the club stands for. It's massive. But at the same time, I have a contract with City now and I have to respect this. But it's a fantastic club.

"No one knows what the future will hold. I am a player and I am always open to challenges but right now my challenge is at Manchester City. In the future, hopefully, who knows..."

City were given a two-season ban from European competition by UEFA after being found guilty of breaching Financial Fair Play regulations, although the club insist they have done nothing wrong and intend to appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Speaking on the issue, Sterling said: "It's something we don't know much about yet because it's something that has not been confirmed. The club has a long way to go and we just have to wait and see what happens, but I have full confidence in the club."

City face Madrid in the last 16 of the Champions League, with the first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu taking place next Wednesday.

Sterling is relishing the challenge of facing the 14-time champions of Europe and does not think there is anything lucky about Zidane having led Madrid to three consecutive Champions League triumphs from 2016 to 2018.

"We had a good reaction when we knew that they will be our rival," said the England star. "If you want to do well I think the best thing you have to do is to play against the best teams straight away and there is no better challenge than Real Madrid.

"It is always going to be a difficult game whether they are in a good or a bad moment, just because of the atmosphere, the historical stadium that we are going to...

"It's going to be a difficult game, especially now that they are doing really well, but at the same time I’ve got full confidence in our team and if we get it right on the day, I believe we can win.

"I think to win the Champions League so many times, especially in a row as well, is very difficult. I don't think that's luck; it's definitely a formula. Some people have that winning mentality and he wins by any means. So I wouldn't say that it's luck, I'd say it's something he has probably developed over his great career as a player and he's developing his career as a manager, so it continues this winning touch."

Related items

  • Bayern president expects transfer fees to dip after coronavirus pandemic Bayern president expects transfer fees to dip after coronavirus pandemic

    Bayern Munich president Herbert Hainer expects a significant decrease in transfer fees following the coronavirus pandemic.

    Deals worth in excess of €100million have been commonplace in the past four years, with Neymar becoming the world's most expensive player when he joined Paris Saint-Germain for €222m in August 2017.

    Bayern have been more conservative but broke their transfer record by splashing out €80m on Lucas Hernandez last year.

    Links to Leroy Sane and Timo Werner led to suggestions the Bavarian giants were willing to break the bank again, but Hainer believes the inflation in the market will have been stemmed by the proliferation of COVID-19.

    Revenues have dried up for clubs across the world, with players at Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus and Atletico Madrid among those to take pay cuts while football is on hiatus.

    Asked about the potential impact of the coronavirus crisis on transfer fees, Hainer told Bayern's 51 magazine: "As I said, although serious predictions are difficult to make, it's obvious there'll be changes. I agree with Uli Hoeness' assumption that transfer fees will decrease. That's just logical.

    "When income decreases, there's less money in circulation. And given the economic impact of the coronavirus crisis on people's everyday lives, outrageous sums in the millions are even less justifiable than they already were.

    "My hope is that more common sense will be applied here as well. I have to take my hat off to Hasan Salihamidzic and our sporting leadership. They're handling the coronavirus situation very well."

    Bayern players agreed to a 20 per cent wage reduction during the Bundesliga suspension, which is scheduled to last until at least April 30.

    Hainer acknowledged the situation has put clubs in precarious financial positions, but he is confident Bayern will be able to get through the crisis without "any major damage".

    "Of course, the situation is very tense. It's about the existence of individual clubs. And even FC Bayern faces a major financial challenge – that's no secret," said Hainer.

    "But our club is in an excellent position. We work day after day to ensure that FC Bayern can navigate through this phase without any major damage.

    "Despite this immense task, we're looking to the future with confidence."

  • Coronavirus: Serie A season could finish in October, suggests FIGC chief Coronavirus: Serie A season could finish in October, suggests FIGC chief

    Serie A clubs could be allowed to finish the 2019-20 season as late as October, according to Italian Football Federation (FIGC) president Gabriele Gravina.

    Italy's top flight was suspended indefinitely last month due to the spread of coronavirus, and the FIGC stated on Friday that the season would not be resumed until the health and safety of all concerned could in some way be guaranteed.

    Italy has been the country hardest hit by COVID-19 in Europe, with close to 129,000 confirmed cases and more than 15,800 deaths, although official figures over recent days have indicated strict lockdown measures are having an effect on the spread of the virus.

    Gravina says the proposed date of May 17 to restart Serie A remains a possibility, but he insists it would be best to allow 2019-20 to finish much later this year if necessary, rather than declare the season cancelled.

    "It's a hypothesis," Gravina told RAI when asked if a September or October finish had been put forward. "At the moment, a possible date to restart could be May 17, but I want to clarify that this is only a hypothesis.

    "Finishing the season would be the best way not only so the 2019-20 season is not compromised, but also to avoid compromising the 2020-21 season in any way."

    There are signs Italy's stringent measures to enforce social distancing and limit all non-essential travel are working, with the number of new deaths falling over the past three days, while the rate of confirmed new cases also appears to be going down.

    However, prime minister Giuseppe Conte admitted earlier on Sunday that he cannot offer any guarantee when lockdown measures will be eased.

    "Right now, I can't say when the lockdown will end. We are following the directions of the scientific committee, but Italy was the first nation [in Europe] to face the emergency," Conte said.

    "Our response was maybe not perfect, but we have done our best based on the knowledge we have.

    "The validity of the measures we have taken has been recognised by the World Health Organization and the results indicate we're on the right path."

  • Argentina has a passion that Italy cannot match, says De Rossi Argentina has a passion that Italy cannot match, says De Rossi

    Daniele De Rossi said playing for Boca Juniors showed him Argentina has a passion for football that Italy cannot match, describing the club's La Bombonera stadium as "absurd and sensational".

    The 36-year-old, who retired from football in January, opened up about the experience of ending his career at Boca, whom he joined on a free transfer in July 2019 when his contract at Roma expired.

    He made just five appearances for Boca in the Superliga before cancelling his contract and returning to Italy to be with his family early in the new year, but said he had no regrets about the move.

    "I would need a whole quarantine to describe the emotions I experienced in those six months," the 2006 World Cup winner told Sky Sport.

    "It is a unique place, very similar to Italy - more than we think, also because half of them are of Italian origin. They live on passion for anything, from food to music, to a passion for football.

    "It's a championship that can be technically and tactically discussed, but in six months I haven't seen a player pulling back his leg or not giving 200 per cent."

    De Rossi scored on his Boca debut, in a 1-1 draw and penalty shoot-out defeat to Almagro in the Copa Argentina.

    In March it was announced he would receive a league winner's medal after Boca clinched the Superliga title, giving him an honour he failed to achieve in 18 years as a Roma player.

    But it was the atmosphere at La Bombonera that De Rossi said he would treasure above all else.

    "It is not about being a ruffian, which I don't like," he said. "But the most beautiful thing is what you see in the stands.

    "It is a warmth that we no longer have in Italy: it is pure and selfless passion.

    "La Bombonera is the most absurd and sensational stadium in the world. I wish all fans to be able to visit it during a Boca match.

    "I feel privileged to have played there, even if it didn't last long."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.