EPL

Klopp discusses 'cheeky' fan mail after telling Man Utd supporter he cannot make Liverpool lose

By Sports Desk February 21, 2020

The cheekiness of a 10-year-old Manchester United fan's request for him to make Liverpool lose prompted a response from Reds manager Jurgen Klopp.

Daragh Curley, an Irish United supporter, wrote to Klopp asking him to halt Liverpool's stunning march towards a first Premier League title.

"I hope I have convinced you to not win the league or any other match ever again," Curley said, with United's rivals 22 points clear at the summit.

While Klopp insisted he could not grant the plea, the former Borussia Dortmund coach sent a reply.

"As much as you want Liverpool to lose, it is my job to do everything that I can to help Liverpool to win, as there are millions of people around the world who want that to happen, so I really do not want to let them down," he wrote.

Klopp said Curley's letter was a good idea when asked about the exchange in a news conference on Friday, although he was slightly disappointed the private message had been widely reported.

"I can't answer all the letters, and I get a lot," he said. "It was just nice, it was nice, it was cheeky. We had time that day, so I read the letter and I replied.

"It's how the world is now that it's a private thing, I get the letter, I respond, and the next day it's in the newspaper. I don't like that too much, but all fine.

"I have no problem with supporters of other clubs. I know it's a free world so we can choose our club. I don't think everybody has to be a Liverpool fan.

"I like working for Liverpool and I like the rivalry we have, but I love even more if we can keep that on the pitch. Apart from that, they can be happy and we should be happy.

"I hope Daragh is now happy. He looked it on the picture I saw later.

"He's 10 years old. It came all together - he's cheeky, 10 years old, which I think is a nice age to start being cheeky.

"It was smart, as well. I thought it was a good idea. Try it, why not?

"We try to respond to as many as possible, but it's just not possible. At the moment, we're obviously in a positive period. That means the letters are pretty much all friendly, but we still cannot reply to all of them.

"I think the people know that, they write, 'I know you cannot respond'. I read them, nearly all of them.

"I do not open them - someone reads them before and gives them to me, so there are probably a few that are not that nice that I don't see. But that's all cool."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus players agree temporary pay cut Coronavirus: Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus players agree temporary pay cut

    Maurizio Sarri and the Juventus first team, including Cristiano Ronaldo, have agreed to a temporary pay cut amid the coronavirus pandemic that will save the club around €90million.

    Juve have not played since beating Serie A title rivals Inter behind closed doors on March 8.

    Italy's top flight will not return until at least May 3, a date that could be pushed further back, with the nation recording the highest number of deaths at over 10,000 as a result of COVID-19.

    Defending champions the Bianconeri have therefore moved to reduce players' wages.

    Fellow Champions League giants Barcelona filed to make cuts after their squad reportedly refused an initial proposal, but Ronaldo and the rest of Juve's stars - plus head coach Sarri - were able to reach an agreement.

    "[The club have] reached an understanding with the players and the coach of the first team regarding their compensation for the residual portion of the current sport season," a statement read.

    "The understanding provides for the reduction of the compensation for an amount equal to the monthly payments of March, April, May and June 2020.

    "In the coming weeks, personal agreements with the players and the coach will be finalised, as required by the current regulations.

    "The economic and financial effects of the understanding reached are positive for about €90m for the 2019-20 financial year.

    "Should the current season's matches be rescheduled, the club will negotiate in good faith with the players and the coach conditional increases of compensations according to the actual resumption and finalisation of official competitions.

    "Juventus would like to thank the players and the coach for their commitment at a difficult time for everyone."

  • Coronavirus: Roma to dedicate next match to frontline medical staff Coronavirus: Roma to dedicate next match to frontline medical staff

    Roma will dedicate their first match following the coronavirus pandemic to medical staff around the world, with 5,000 free tickets to be given to frontline workers.

    Elite sport has been halted by the global crisis, with more than 650,000 confirmed cases and over 30,000 deaths.

    Only the United States has more cases than Italy, where Serie A has been suspended until at least May 3.

    Roma last played at Cagliari on March 1, winning 4-3, but the club have a plan for their next game in front of a packed crowd at the Stadio Olimpico.

    The Serie A side said they will dedicate their "first home match in front of fans after football returns to honouring and celebrating the medical workers who have been on the frontline of the battle against COVID-19".

    A statement added it was "an extension of the club's 'HEROES' series on social media, which pays tribute to individual doctors, nurses and medics in Italy and around the world".

    The promise of 5,000 free tickets for medical workers would "allow fans to show their appreciation for the selfless efforts of the medics during this crisis", Roma explained.

    They will also honour workers who have lost their lives, introduce a reduced price rate for medical staff from the start of next season, and donate a proportion of each ticket sale to the club's fundraising campaign.

    Roma president James Pallotta added: "It is impossible to overstate just how much we appreciate the work of the medical staff in Italy and around the world."

    Pallotta has donated €75,000 to the club's COVID-19 fundraising project, which has brought in more than €530,000.

  • Coronavirus: Premier League stars spread the word to 'stay at home, save lives' Coronavirus: Premier League stars spread the word to 'stay at home, save lives'

    With the Premier League season on hold until April 30 at the earliest, the English top-flight's big names still managed to get their message across on Saturday.

    The Premier League, along with the majority of sporting tournaments and events across the globe, is currently suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Many nations are in total or near-total lockdown, with people only allowed to leave their homes for essential trips and exercise.

    Though there is no sport to keep people entertained, some of the biggest names – both players and managers – from the Premier League came together on Saturday at 1500 GMT to spread the message: "stay at home, save lives."

     

    Using his official Twitter and Instagram accounts, Manchester City and England forward Raheem Sterling shared a video.

    "We need to stay at home, let's help our NHS by staying home, only leave if you need food, medicine or exercise," Sterling said. "The NHS have been doing a fantastic job so let's help them continue doing their wonderful work."

    He was also joined by his City team-mates Aymeric Laporte and Benjamin Mendy, as well as the club's ladies captain Steph Houghton.

    Across the city, Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer also offered his support to the campaign.

    "Stay home, protect the NHS, save lives," the Norwegian said in a video posted to United's Twitter feed.

    Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta tested positive for coronavirus on March 12 and, having now recovered, he also shared the message.

    "I encourage everybody, please be responsible and stay at home as much as possible," the Spaniard said.

    Meanwhile, Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard said: "To help save lives, you must stay home. Only leave home to buy essential food, medicine or for individual exercise and always stay two metres apart. This is an urgent message. Stay home, protect the NHS, save lives."

    Premier League leaders Liverpool shared a graphic which read: "Stay home, protect the NHS, save lives."

    Tottenham striker and England captain Harry Kane did not share a video, but wrote in a post on Twitter: "Saturday 3pm normally means football. But at the moment it's far more important everyone stays home. Do your bit. Protect the NHS, save lives."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.