EPL

Chelsea to consider options over Stamford Bridge redevelopment

By Sports Desk March 28, 2020

Chelsea have confirmed they are to consider their options over the development of Stamford Bridge, with the current planning permission set to expire on March 31.

The club had gained permission to expand Stamford Bridge to a 60,000 capacity, though reports on Wednesday suggested the project had been placed on hold.

However, since planning permission was granted in March 2017, no work on the project has commenced.

It has now been confirmed that Chelsea are considering options as to how to proceed, with the current permissions to expire on Tuesday.

"We are grateful to all our fans and stakeholders, especially Hammersmith & Fulham Council, for their patience and understanding in the matter," a statement on the club's official website read.

"We will continue to consider our options for a new stadium, should economic conditions improve."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Messi's enthusiasm contagious for Barcelona squad – Alba Coronavirus: Messi's enthusiasm contagious for Barcelona squad – Alba

    Lionel Messi's enthusiasm is contagious as LaLiga leaders Barcelona prepare to return following the coronavirus pandemic, according to team-mate Jordi Alba.

    Suspended in March due to the COVID-19 crisis, LaLiga will get back underway with a derby clash between Sevilla and Real Betis on June 11.

    Barca, who were two points clear of bitter rivals Real Madrid through 27 rounds at the time of postponement, will return with a trip to Real Mallorca on June 13.

    Captain and six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi has provided plenty of motivation ahead of the league's resumption, with left-back Alba telling TVE: "He's a vital player of us and we should enjoy having him all the time.

    "Seeing Leo with the enthusiasm he's come back with is contagious for the rest of the group."

    Messi had topped LaLiga's goalscoring charts with 19, ahead of Madrid forward Karim Benzema (14).

    "I see the team as having a lot of enthusiasm," Spain international Alba added.

    "Mentally and physically we players have come back really well I would say, even better than we were before."

    Meanwhile, defending champions Barca continue to be linked with former star Neymar – who left Camp Nou for Paris Saint-Germain in a world-record €222million transfer in 2017.

    On a possible return, Alba said: "He's clearly a unique player and he gave us a lot. He chose and looked for other goals."

  • Nagelsmann: It wasn't easy but RB Leipzig deserved win Nagelsmann: It wasn't easy but RB Leipzig deserved win

    RB Leipzig head coach Julian Nagelsmann said his team were deserved winners after coming from behind to beat Cologne 4-2.

    Leipzig returned to winning ways in the Bundesliga after being held by Hertha Berlin last week – Patrik Schick, Christopher Nkunku, Timo Werner and Dani Olmo on target on Monday.

    Jhon Cordoba had put hosts Cologne ahead but four goals from four different goalscorers helped Leipzig climb to third in the standings, despite Anthony Modeste reducing the deficit.

    "It was a strange game with lots of ups and downs. We were a bit sleepy before they scored," Nagelsmann said post-match, with Leipzig two points adrift of second-placed Borussia Dortmund.

    "We didn't defend as well as we can. Overall, I think we could play better. It's hard to summarise things at the moment.

    "A win was important for the table. Coming from behind was important too. It wasn't easy, but we deserved to win."

    Schick equalised for Leipzig in the 20th minute after Cordoba had opened the scoring 13 minutes earlier at RheinEnergieStadion.

    It means the Czech Republic international, who is on loan from Serie A side Roma, has scored in back-to-back matches for Leipzig.

    Schick added: "It was another tough game tonight. It wasn't the start that we wanted. After that, we grew into the game and fought hard. At the end of the day, we're really happy with the three points."

  • Vazquez wants 100 per cent Madrid finish to dethrone Barcelona Vazquez wants 100 per cent Madrid finish to dethrone Barcelona

    Lucas Vazquez relished a return to full training at Real Madrid and hopes they can win all their remaining LaLiga games to overthrow Barcelona.

    LaLiga clubs were on Monday able to train without restrictions on group size for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic led to the season being suspended in March.

    The season will get back under way on June 11, with Madrid sitting two points adrift of leaders Barca with 11 games remaining.

    Madrid's first game after the restart is against Eibar and Vazquez hopes it can be the start of a winning streak that enables Zinedine Zidane's men to claim a first league title since 2017.

    "Eibar is the starting point for the 11 finals we have left and hopefully we can record wins in every game until the end and win the title," Vazquez told Real Madrid TV.

    He added: "We like to train with all our team-mates together, enjoying the football.

    "It's what we all like, training sessions in which we can all enjoy the football together. We're training to try and get into our stride for the start of the season.

    "Football is made up of several factors, such as the physical side, which is very important, and the mental side. That combination of the two means that we can go into the league in good shape."

    According to Marca, Madrid president Florentino Perez has informed club members they will play their remaining LaLiga games at the Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano at their Valdebebas training ground to enable renovation work to begin on the Santiago Bernabeu.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.