Real Madrid great Goyo Benito dies

By Sports Desk April 02, 2020

Real Madrid great Goyo Benito has died at the age of 73, the club confirmed on Thursday.

Benito came through the youth ranks at Madrid and went on to make 420 first-team appearances across 13 seasons.

The moustachioed defender was a six-time LaLiga champion and won the Copa del Rey on five occasions, with Los Blancos claiming doubles in 1974-75 and 1979-80.

Benito made his debut in 1969 and was part of the generation that succeeded Madrid's so-called 'Yeye' team that dominated Spanish football during that decade.

He suffered disappointment in the 1981 European Cup final against Liverpool and retired after lifting the Copa del Rey the following season.

Benito made 22 appearances for Spain and is one of only two Madrid players, alongside Pirri, to receive the club's Laureate distinction.

A club statement read: "Real Madrid, its president and board of directors express their deep regret at the passing of Goyo Benito, one of the great legends of our club's history.

"Real Madrid wishes to share its condolences and sends its affection to his wife, Paula, and children, Patricia and Ruben, all of his family and loved ones. These condolences are also offered on behalf of madridistas from all over the world.

"Real Madrid supported Benito right throughout his battle against the illness that he suffered from for over more than a decade.

"The Real Madrid family is today in mourning as we remember one of the great defenders in our club's history."

Related items

  • Asensio ready for LaLiga run-in after knee injury Asensio ready for LaLiga run-in after knee injury

    Marco Asensio feels "very good" after recovering from a knee injury as he prepares to play his part for Real Madrid in LaLiga's title run-in.

    Spain international Asensio is yet to feature this term after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament and lateral meniscus in his left knee in pre-season.

    The 24-year-old underwent successful surgery in August but has only now returned to training with the campaign paused amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Asensio, who played 44 times in 2018-19, is delighted to be back.

    "I feel very good," he told Realmadrid TV. "The first week was different when I returned to training, being with my team-mates.

    "My adaptation has been good. The knee is responding well and the truth is that I am physically very well.

    "The wait has been very long. I have worked a lot and, above all, I have had a lot of patience, because seeing your colleagues train every day while being in the physiotherapy room was something that hurt me a lot.

    "I am already with my colleagues in the field and that is the important thing. The wait was worth it."

    Asensio's attentions can now turn to matters on the field, with Madrid two points behind rivals Barcelona in the table with 11 matches to play.

    Los Blancos must also overturn a 2-1 first-leg deficit against Manchester City in the last 16 of the Champions League.

    "We really want LaLiga to start and to face those games that decide a title," Asensio said. "We know that they are life-or-death matches.

    "Every game we have to face it to the fullest, and we are going to try to win everything we have left."

  • Coronavirus: LaLiga gets green light for Monday and Friday matches this season Coronavirus: LaLiga gets green light for Monday and Friday matches this season

    The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has told LaLiga it will permit matches being played on Mondays and Fridays to facilitate the 2019-20 season's conclusion.

    The announcement came despite the country's commercial courts ruling in favour of RFEF in their long-running legal battle with LaLiga over Monday and Friday night matches, the federation previously arguing that the scheduling of games on those days required their approval.

    A temporary measure had been put in place this season whereby Friday night matches were allowed, but fixtures on Mondays were not.

    However, RFEF said in a statement that it wishes to "show its good will" by allowing LaLiga to play on both days this season, should 2019-20 resume after the suspension enforced by the coronavirus pandemic.

    It also remined LaLiga that the judge urged any future negotiations regarding the staging of matches on the days in question be conducted "in good faith".

    The statement said: "The RFEF shows its maximum satisfaction for the sentence issued this morning by the commercial judge number two of Madrid, in which it dismisses the demand of LaLiga and declares that the dispute of matches on Friday and Monday requires the approval of the RFEF.

    "The RFEF has always been convinced that it was assisted by reason in this matter.

    "Furthermore, the RFEF wants to clearly show its good will, facilitating the season to end smoothly.

    "Therefore, it offers LaLiga - without linking it to the start of negotiations - that matches can be played on Friday and Monday, which are included in the calendar, from the resumption of competition and until the end of this season, without requesting anything in exchange for this month and a half."

  • Coronavirus: Aulas predicts financial difficulties for 'many French clubs' Coronavirus: Aulas predicts financial difficulties for 'many French clubs'

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has warned of "a real problem" looming for many French clubs if the decision to cancel the 2019-20 season is not overturned.

    Aulas has been vocal in his opposition to voiding the remainder of the Ligue 1 campaign, which left Lyon in seventh place in the table and without a spot in next season's Champions League.

    Having seen the Bundesliga resume the 2019-20 season and with the Premier League, LaLiga, and Serie A potentially following suit, Aulas said French football could find itself being left behind.

    Defending his decision to appeal against the cancellation of the season by writing to the French prime minister and sports minister, Aulas told Franceinfo: "We see an abnormal difference in competitiveness between European countries.

    "[There will be] between 800 and 900 million euro losses as of June 30 for French football.

    "As we were unable to show our good faith as we would have wanted, or show that it made economic sense and the best thing for Europe to finish all our games, so unfortunately we've had to seek an alternative in the interest of those immediately concerned and in the general interest."

    Lyon finished third in 2018-19 and were still in the Champions League and the Coupe de la Ligue when football in France was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Aulas indicated the financial impact of the season's termination would not cause Lyon serious problems, but he said French clubs would lose out in the transfer market.

    "Obviously, transfers will be put on hold. It's looking like we will have to stop the championship so players will not be seen," he said.

    "Clubs which can eventually invest, well clubs abroad have had their season put back and they will finish it later. This is all going to cause a real problem for French clubs – a loss of several hundred million euros.

    "Transfers agreed a few years ago also may not be honoured, so it's going to cause problems. Many French clubs will be in financial difficulties."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.