Arsenal planning two or three transfer window scenarios but may 'do nothing', says Arteta

By Sports Desk April 09, 2020

Mikel Arteta says Arsenal are working on "two or three different scenarios" in terms of transfer plans before next season.

With football leagues largely suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, FIFA has announced it will allow transfer window dates to be changed in case domestic seasons have to be completed later than planned this year.

As leagues and clubs face financial uncertainty amid the COVID-19 crisis, many have predicted the next window will see a departure from the inflated transfer fees that had become the norm in recent years.

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has already stated his club must be ready to make the most of an opportunity to snap up targets that might suddenly become available.

Arteta has likewise been preparing different plans for the next window, admitting it is impossible to be certain how the market will play out.

Speaking to Sky Sports, the Gunners head coach said: "I'm planning two or three different scenarios that we can face. Depending on one of those three, we will be able to do more, less or nothing.

"We have to react daily. We don't know what the financial situation is going to be, we don't know the rules, the timing, the window. There are so many things we cannot control at the moment."

Arsenal suffered a shock Europa League exit to Olympiacos in February but had otherwise been showing encouraging signs of improvement under Arteta before the season was paused.

The Gunners won just one of eight matches in December, the month Arteta took over from Unai Emery, but have won eight and drawn four of 13 games in all competitions in 2020.

Arteta was pleased with his side's progress after needing to repair the rapport between players and fans after he arrived.

"I went through a lot when I got here ... I had eight or 10 players injured, and there were a lot of issues to deal with," he said. "The connection between fans, players and club was in a difficult state at that moment. We had to change that energy, the belief and the commitment from the players.

"I was very pleased because everyone was on board with what we were doing. We started to win three or four games in a row and there was a much more positive mindset around the place."

Arteta was one of the first high-profile figures in English sport to test positive for coronavirus, which prompted a scheduled match against Manchester City to be cancelled, but now feels fully recovered.

"Either mine wasn't a very strong virus or my immune system was pretty good," Arteta said. "The same day that we were told that we were at risk because we were in contact with the Olympiacos owner [Evangelos Marinakis] was the exact day when I started to show some symptoms.

"I felt a huge responsibility as I knew the next day we were playing Manchester City. I had a feeling inside of myself that something was wrong. We had to make the point and make it clear. We spoke to the Premier League about bringing the case forward as we knew we could expose ourselves to people.

"I pulled the doctor and the CEO to my house telling them that we had a situation due to my symptoms. We had players that had been in contact, so we said the decision was too big for us alone to make. We had to communicate this with the Premier League and Manchester City in order to protect everybody. We made the right call."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Atletico's Carrasco says it will be weird playing without fans Coronavirus: Atletico's Carrasco says it will be weird playing without fans

    Atletico Madrid winger Yannick Carrasco said it will be "strange" playing behind closed doors when LaLiga restarts following the COVID-19 crisis.

    Suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, LaLiga will get back underway with a derby clash between Sevilla and Real Betis on June 11.

    Diego Simeone's Atletico – sixth in the standings and a point adrift of the Champions League places – will travel to Athletic Bilbao on June 14.

    "It is a bit strange behind closed doors, but we are professions and we will do things in the best way so that the fans can watch a beautiful game on TV," Carrasco, who is back on loan at Atletico from Chinese side Dalian Professional, said.

    Atletico have not played since sensationally eliminating Champions League holders Liverpool in the last 16 of the competition in March.

    Simeone's men had also drawn back-to-back LaLiga matches prior to the 2019-20 season being postponed.

    Belgium international Carrasco added: "I'm very happy to see everyone and be able to train with everyone.

    "The team is fine. We have worked hard to prepare for the first match.

    "This stage is set to enter that match in a good state."

  • Coronavirus: Messi's enthusiasm contagious for Barcelona squad – Alba Coronavirus: Messi's enthusiasm contagious for Barcelona squad – Alba

    Lionel Messi's enthusiasm is contagious as LaLiga leaders Barcelona prepare to return following the coronavirus pandemic, according to team-mate Jordi Alba.

    Suspended in March due to the COVID-19 crisis, LaLiga will get back underway with a derby clash between Sevilla and Real Betis on June 11.

    Barca, who were two points clear of bitter rivals Real Madrid through 27 rounds at the time of postponement, will return with a trip to Real Mallorca on June 13.

    Captain and six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi has provided plenty of motivation ahead of the league's resumption, with left-back Alba telling TVE: "He's a vital player of us and we should enjoy having him all the time.

    "Seeing Leo with the enthusiasm he's come back with is contagious for the rest of the group."

    Messi had topped LaLiga's goalscoring charts with 19, ahead of Madrid forward Karim Benzema (14).

    "I see the team as having a lot of enthusiasm," Spain international Alba added.

    "Mentally and physically we players have come back really well I would say, even better than we were before."

    Meanwhile, defending champions Barca continue to be linked with former star Neymar – who left Camp Nou for Paris Saint-Germain in a world-record €222million transfer in 2017.

    On a possible return, Alba said: "He's clearly a unique player and he gave us a lot. He chose and looked for other goals."

  • Nagelsmann: It wasn't easy but RB Leipzig deserved win Nagelsmann: It wasn't easy but RB Leipzig deserved win

    RB Leipzig head coach Julian Nagelsmann said his team were deserved winners after coming from behind to beat Cologne 4-2.

    Leipzig returned to winning ways in the Bundesliga after being held by Hertha Berlin last week – Patrik Schick, Christopher Nkunku, Timo Werner and Dani Olmo on target on Monday.

    Jhon Cordoba had put hosts Cologne ahead but four goals from four different goalscorers helped Leipzig climb to third in the standings, despite Anthony Modeste reducing the deficit.

    "It was a strange game with lots of ups and downs. We were a bit sleepy before they scored," Nagelsmann said post-match, with Leipzig two points adrift of second-placed Borussia Dortmund.

    "We didn't defend as well as we can. Overall, I think we could play better. It's hard to summarise things at the moment.

    "A win was important for the table. Coming from behind was important too. It wasn't easy, but we deserved to win."

    Schick equalised for Leipzig in the 20th minute after Cordoba had opened the scoring 13 minutes earlier at RheinEnergieStadion.

    It means the Czech Republic international, who is on loan from Serie A side Roma, has scored in back-to-back matches for Leipzig.

    Schick added: "It was another tough game tonight. It wasn't the start that we wanted. After that, we grew into the game and fought hard. At the end of the day, we're really happy with the three points."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.