No surrender! Spalletti issues Inter rallying cry ahead of Juve test

By Sports Desk December 06, 2018

Luciano Spalletti concedes bridging the gap to Serie A champions Juventus will be difficult but the Inter head coach sees Friday's Derby d'Italia as the perfect opportunity to start making inroads.

The Nerazzurri travel to the Allianz Stadium trailing the leaders by 11 points after 14 rounds of action, their title hopes seemingly in tatters well before the mid-way point of the season.

Following one victory from their opening four games of the campaign, Inter embarked on a seven-match winning streak, although that progress has been checked slightly by a recent 4-1 thrashing at Atalanta and a 2-2 draw with Roma last time out.

But speaking to the media on Thursday ahead of the trip to Turin, Spalletti preferred to see the clash as an ideal chance to make up three points on the seven-time defending champions.

"They'll lose if they only think about stopping us. We play to beat every team, but I believe it more now," said Spalletti, who also confirmed Dalbert and Radja Nainggolan remain unavailable for selection due to injury.

"The team are growing now and are becoming more and more complete in terms of attitude. We've had some good games recently.

"There's a big gap at the top and the bad news is that catching them will be difficult, but the good news is this is the first step towards that and it's in our hands.

"We still lack some focus during games, but we're a great team in terms of names and how we read games.

"We must think the teams we face aren't so strong and can't move us off track. On my part, there's no surrender to Juventus.

"Things come to an end when you stop trying and are no longer convinced by your qualities, not when you lose a game."

Spalletti also pointed to Juve's ability to repeatedly poach the best players from their direct rivals as a way to strengthen their position, as well as referring to the blockbuster €112million transfer that saw Cristiano Ronaldo arrive from Real Madrid in July.

"Juventus buy players who make a difference every year. Three years ago when I was at Roma, Juve swooped in for [Miralem] Pjanic, who was perhaps our best player, together with [Daniele] De Rossi," he added.

"Last year we had one of the best full-backs in the League in [Joao] Cancelo and they signed him, plus they took [Gonzalo] Higuain from Napoli.

"They're players who help you grow in an attacking sense. This year they've signed a champion in Cristiano Ronaldo, and you can't put the mentality he offers them into words."

Related items

  • Koke: VAR will give Morata a goal one day Koke: VAR will give Morata a goal one day

    Koke said the VAR will give Alvaro Morata a goal "one day" after the Atletico Madrid forward had his header ruled out by the video assistant referee in the Champions League victory over Juventus.

    Morata thought he had opened his Atletico account in Wednesday's 2-0 last 16 first-leg triumph at home to Juventus in Madrid, however, the VAR intervened in the second half.

    The 26-year-old, who was denied by the VAR in the LaLiga derby loss to Real Madrid on February 9, headed past Wojciech Szczesny and celebrated passionately but a review found he had pushed Giorgio Chiellini.

    Morata is yet to score since arriving from Premier League side Chelsea on an 18-month loan deal last month and asked about the Spaniard post-match, Atletico midfielder Koke told reporters: "In the end, VAR will one day give Morata a goal.

    "He has scored two goals that have been cancelled. If they cancel it, sometimes it is a goal and sometimes it is not. You have to respect the decisions. We respect the referees and we continue with the dynamic of trying to win games and score more goals in case they are cancelled."

    Defensive duo Jose Gimenez and Diego Godin were the unlikely goalscorers for Atletico at Wanda Metropolitano.

    Atletico were unfortunate not to end the match with a greater advantage after Diego Costa spurned a golden opportunity early in the second half and Antoine Griezmann saw his shot pushed onto the crossbar by Szczesny.

    "Very happy for the victory but there isn't anything done," Koke said. "We know about Juventus' quality, their potential... they're one of the best teams in the world. We are happy with the result but nothing is decided yet. It is gonna be a great battle in Turin, like a war. We'll need a perfect game to get through.

    "Juventus are one of the best in the world, and you should never presume an Italian team dead, and neither Juventus. We are going to try to compete, to make a perfect game, as we did today, to be able to get through"

    It proved to be a frustrating evening for former Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, who was seen gesturing during and after the match.

    Ronaldo held up his hands to indicate the five Champions League titles he has won – four with Madrid and one with Manchester United – on the pitch and when he walked through the mixed zone.

    "On the field I did not see anything," Koke added. "Maybe he was greeting someone. If you have five Champions League titles, then congratulate him. We cannot say anything else either."

  • Ronaldo had a good game – Allegri backs Juventus star Ronaldo had a good game – Allegri backs Juventus star

    Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri defended Cristiano Ronaldo after the forward's subdued display in a 2-0 loss to Atletico Madrid on Wednesday.

    Late goals from Jose Gimenez and Diego Godin gave Atletico a deserved win in the first leg of the Champions League last-16 tie at the Wanda Metropolitano.

    Ronaldo had just one shot on target – of Juve's three – and Godin's goal deflected in off him in the 83rd minute.

    But Allegri backed the 34-year-old's performance and said the clash would be beneficial heading into the second leg in Turin on March 12.

    "Ronaldo played a good game," he told a news conference.

    "He is confident with these kinds of matches. He was not bad at all.

    "We missed all the second half as a team. And this match will be useful looking forward to the second leg."

  • Reggae Boyz hoping for Argentina clash Reggae Boyz hoping for Argentina clash

    President of the Jamaica Football Federation Michael Ricketts said he has hopes of arranging a match between the Reggae Boyz and two-time World Cup champions Argentina in the near future.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.