Everton confirm signing of Arsenal winger Iwobi

By Sports Desk August 08, 2019

Everton have signed winger Alex Iwobi from Arsenal in a deal reportedly worth up to £40million.

The 23-year-old has put pen to paper on a five-year contract and becomes the seventh arrival of a busy close season for Everton, the transfer being confirmed shortly after Thursday's deadline.

Iwobi spent four years in Arsenal's first team after coming through the academy and featured 51 times in all competitions last season.

But he seemingly slipped down the pecking order following the club-record signing of Nicolas Pepe and admitted in July he would consider leaving if his playing time was reduced.

Everton manager Marco Silva told the club's website: "Alex was one of our main targets for this window and I believe he is a fantastic signing for Everton. He is a direct and skilful winger and attacking midfielder who always works very hard for his team.

"He is still young but already with a lot of top-level experience – 100 Premier League matches, more in Europe and many international games.

"It was important for me to have one more quality option for our attacking positions to add to what we have with Richarlison, Bernard and Theo Walcott.

"Alex fits exactly the profile of player I want in my model. He is hungry to join Everton and take the next step in his career, to help us compete with the strongest teams in the league and reach his potential at our club."

Everton had been linked with Wilfried Zaha but were reportedly twice knocked back by Crystal Palace.

Marco Silva's side begin their Premier League campaign with a trip to Selhurst Park on Saturday.

Related items

  • Lo Celso giving Tottenham 'easy decision' on permanent transfer, says Mourinho Lo Celso giving Tottenham 'easy decision' on permanent transfer, says Mourinho

    Jose Mourinho says the form of Giovani Lo Celso is giving Tottenham "an easy decision" to sign him on a permanent basis.

    A superb individual run from Lo Celso helped to set up Spurs' goal as Son Heung-min struck in the 1-1 FA Cup fourth-round draw against Southampton on Saturday.

    The 23-year-old also had a goal disallowed and Mourinho is sure he has done enough to earn a permanent place at Spurs, having initially joined on a season-long loan from Real Betis, with an option to buy.

    Mourinho said: "It's not an obligation, it's an option. I think the boy is earning the decision. 

    "He's making an easy decision for the club to execute the option. Incredible evolution since I arrived.

    "Barely played a game [before I arrived], I think he played against Red Star Belgrade and with me it was a little bit difficult to come in the first few weeks.

    "But he understood what we wanted. Good learner, good kid and I think by himself he made the decision that the club is going to execute the option. That's normal, he earned it."

    Son, meanwhile, has netted in back-to-back matches at a time where star striker Harry Kane is out injured.

    Mourinho, whose side will now play an FA Cup replay against Saints, added of Son: "All of the attacking players need this happiness of scoring goals. 

    "In the first half he had one easier than the goal he scored, facing the keeper the angle was good, the shot was good but for inches he missed. 

    "It is a good goal, an important goal, so it is good for him.

    "Playing a replay will affect [our mid-season break] a little bit. There is one more match we have to play. It is not a personal situation, Ralph Hasenhuttl was telling me the same, we don't need one more match. 

    "But I think both me and him prefer to play again than to be out. No drama, let's go."

  • Jose Mourinho unhappy Christian Eriksen to Inter transfer remains unresolved Jose Mourinho unhappy Christian Eriksen to Inter transfer remains unresolved

    Jose Mourinho is unhappy Christian Eriksen's future remains unresolved but does not blame Tottenham for the situation amid Inter's continued pursuit of the playmaker.

    With six days to go until the end of the transfer window, Eriksen travelled with Tottenham but played no part in their FA Cup fourth-round tie at Southampton on Saturday, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

    The Denmark international is expected to undergo a medical with Inter on Monday, with Spurs having reportedly accepted an offer of an initial €15million (£12.6m) and €5m (£4.2m) in add-ons and a four-year deal set to be signed by the player.

    "You can read what you want to read [into Eriksen being left out] - I just want to say that this situation shouldn't happen on the 25th of January," Spurs boss Mourinho said of the 27-year-old, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

    "And it is not Tottenham's fault that on the 25th of January we are in the situation.

    "The only thing I can say is Eriksen, since I arrived, he is behaving in a very, very professional way, with me and the team. 

    "Tottenham is the last one to blame for this situation, but to be on the 25th of January in a situation like this is not nice."

    Danny Rose was also not included by Mourinho for the match against Saints, which ended level after Sofiane Boufal equalised with three minutes to go following Son Heung-min's opener.

    Asked if Rose, who has been linked with Bournemouth, Newcastle United and Watford, would still be a Spurs player after next Friday's transfer deadline, Mourinho said: "I don't know. 

    "He was not injured, my decision [to leave him out]. My decision is based on performance and based on my analysis. Nothing else really. 

    "We have Ben Davies at left-back injured for a long time. We have Danny, Japhet [Tanganga], who is not a left-back but is very solid and very concentrated - very difficult for him to make a mistake, even when playing against opposition in a position that is not his position.

    "And Ryan [Sessegnon] is a 19-year-old kid who is learning how to defend and of course his natural appetite is to be offensive. So we have four options and it's my decision.

    "We did good things. It is a result that keeps us alive, that keeps us in the draw. It is a result we don't need, we don't need to play one more match, but it is better to play than not to play.

    "We were very close to win. We are in the competition. The fantastic supporters that were here are going to be at home, with another 50,000 for sure who will come to support the team. That is OK."

  • Barcelona hot prospect Marques makes Juventus switch, Pereira goes other way Barcelona hot prospect Marques makes Juventus switch, Pereira goes other way

    Barcelona will bank €8.2million after allowing young striker Alejandro Marques to join Juventus.

    The 19-year-old spent three years in Barcelona, scoring twice in the UEFA Youth League final victory against Chelsea in the 2017-18 season.

    Marques progressed to the Barcelona B side, appearing in 11 games during this campaign, but did not make the step up from the ranks of La Masia into the first team at Camp Nou.

    Barcelona decided to part ways with the Venezuelan teenager after receiving the Italian champions' offer, and have taken Matheus Pereira on loan from Juventus with an option to buy as part of the deal.

    A statement from Barcelona said: "FC Barcelona have been active in the transfer market, with Barca B's Alejandro Marques joining Juventus for 8.2 million euros."

    Brazilian midfielder Pereira left Juventus to join Dijon in August in a deal that was also described as a loan with an option to buy, but the French club announced that agreement was terminated on Friday.

    Pereira played in 10 Ligue 1 matches for Dijon, starting six of those, but now has the chance to earn a permanent move to the Spanish giants, whom he joins until the end of the season.

    Barcelona said Pereira passed his medical on Friday, and in announcing his arrival described the 21-year-old as a player the club have followed "for a long time", highlighting his touch and attacking potential.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.