AC Milan determined to keep Donnarumma amid PSG transfer speculation

By Sports Desk August 25, 2019

AC Milan have no interest in selling rumoured Paris Saint-Germain target Gianluigi Donnarumma, according to the Rossoneri's chief football officer.

Zvonimir Boban, who took up the new backroom role with Milan in June, insists the Serie A side are determined to keep hold of their 20-year-old goalkeeper, along with attacker Suso and midfielder Franck Kessie.

PSG have long been linked with Italy international Donnarumma as they aim to find a rival for Alphonse Areola.

Suso is said to have attracted interest from clubs in Italy, Spain and France, while Wolves reportedly attempted to negotiate a deal for Kessie.

"We want to keep them, absolutely," Boban confirmed to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Milan sold promising striker Patrick Cutrone to Wolves in July but have replenished Marco Giampaolo's squad with the recruitment of Rafael Leao, Rade Krunic, Theo Hernandez, Leo Duarte and Ismael Bennacer.

Boban believes the transfer focus on value over big names will prove beneficial in the long run.

"It will take time, but we will return to the top," he said.

"The low profile [of the signings] should not be mistaken for low ambition. Did anyone know Kaka when he arrived? We are doing our best considering the various challenges.

"Time and results will tell us who has worked well and who has not.

"I am convinced that in the end the fans will be happy with our choices. We are not looking for senseless fireworks, like a few years ago. We need to make the most logical footballing decisions."

Milan and new boss Giampaolo commence their Serie A campaign away to Udinese on Sunday.

Related items

  • The door is always open for the best – Scaloni not ruling out Argentina recall for Icardi The door is always open for the best – Scaloni not ruling out Argentina recall for Icardi

    Argentina head coach Lionel Scaloni says Mauro Icardi remains part of his plans and he will consider recalling the Paris Saint-Germain striker if he can maintain his goalscoring form. 

    Icardi has not featured for Argentina since scoring in last November’s 2-1 friendly win against Mexico and is not part of their latest squad for the friendlies with Brazil and Uruguay. 

    The 26-year-old was overlooked for Copa America selection earlier this year after a turbulent campaign with Inter that saw him stripped of the captaincy amid a breakdown in contract talks. 

    However, Icardi has scored nine goals in 10 matches since joining PSG on loan in September and is knocking on the door for a return to the international stage. 

    "He is a player we have in mind," Scaloni said at a news conference ahead of Friday's friendly with Brazil in Saudi Arabia. 

    "He is playing again, picking up pace after not playing at the end of last season. 

    "He is on our agenda, and not because other strikers are not doing well. At any time he can return. The doors are always open for the best."

    Lionel Messi is back in Argentina's squad for their friendly double-header after serving a three-month suspension for accusing CONMEBOL officials of corruption following his side's semi-final loss to Brazil at the Copa America.

    South American champions Brazil will be without Neymar for the high-profile friendly, however, as the PSG forward is yet to fully recover from a hamstring injury sustained on international duty last month.

    "Having Messi is always a positive," Scaloni said. "I would have liked Neymar to be involved, too.

    "For us it is a joy to have Leo because he is a big part of the group and gets along with all his team-mates. He is a player who has marked an era in football."

  • Traore not called up on a whim, insists Spain boss Moreno Traore not called up on a whim, insists Spain boss Moreno

    Spain head coach Robert Moreno insists he did not call up Wolves winger Adama Traore "on a whim" for this month's Euro 2020 qualifying matches.

    Traore was surprisingly named as a replacement for the injured Rodrigo Moreno only for a hamstring issue to force him to withdraw from the squad.

    It had been suggested Traore was only called up so that he would make a competitive appearance for Spain and therefore no longer be eligible to represent Mali, the country of his parents.

    However, Moreno - who worked with the player at Hospitalet and Barcelona, where he made his senior debut - says he has long considered calling up Traore due to his ability to unsettle deep-lying defences.

    "I'm looking for players who can create an imbalance. Adama Traore has that and is very different from others," he told a news conference.

    "He suffered a little problem on Sunday. I spoke with him and he told me he couldn't come.

    "Adama is very well-known because he came out of La Florida, my local club. He was at Hospitalet, where I was, and we gave him his debut at Barcelona. Nobody knows him like I do.

    "He wasn't called up on a whim. We've been following him for a long time and he has been on two preliminary squad lists."

    Spain, who have already qualified for the Euro 2020 finals, face Malta and Romania in their final two games in Group F.

    Moreno is eager to see a more clinical edge in attack from his players given they were held by Norway and Sweden in their most recent games.

    "We lacked aim in the last two games against Norway and Sweden. We create chances, but you still have to create more," he said.

    "This week, we've emphasised working against teams who close things down, as I think that's how the games against Malta and Romania will be."

    Moreno also suggested he could give Roma goalkeeper Pau Lopez a chance to impress, as the battle for the number-one position continues between Kepa Arrizabalaga and David de Gea.

    "I said I wanted to try everyone and I'm a man of my word. It could be that Pau Lopez plays one of the next two games," he said.

  • Bonucci on Ronaldo: There are still many games in which Juve will need him at his best Bonucci on Ronaldo: There are still many games in which Juve will need him at his best

    Leonardo Bonucci will be glad to see Cristiano Ronaldo back on the pitch for Portugal and is not concerned by the forward's recent tough stretch at Juventus.

    Juve superstar Ronaldo has been substituted in his past two club matches, reportedly leaving the stadium before full-time last time out against AC Milan.

    Coach Maurizio Sarri attributed the former Real Madrid forward’s early withdrawal down to a bruised knee, yet he is in line to start for Portugal against Lithuania in Euro 2020 qualifying on Thursday.

    Club colleague Bonucci is keen not to dwell on the events of recent weeks, though, happy to instead back Ronaldo to return to Turin determined to lead the Bianconeri going forward.

    "I like to look forward, not back," Italy international Bonucci told a news conference. "There will be time to talk but now we are with the national teams.

    "He will play with Portugal - that means he is physically better and mentally great. And I am here to represent Italy. In Turin, we will talk.

    "There are still many games in which we will need the best Ronaldo. I am convinced that, for him, too, the goal is to be better than the past to achieve team and personal goals."

    Ronaldo has scored six goals in 14 matches in all competitions for Juve this season.

    Sarri's men are a point clear of nearest rivals Inter at the top of Serie A, while they have secured their place in the Champions League knockout stage with two group matches to spare.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.