Suarez 'very happy' at Barcelona but MLS switch a possibility

By Sports Desk November 22, 2019

Luis Suarez is "very happy" at Barcelona but admits he is open to the possibility of joining a Major League Soccer club.

The Uruguay international is in his sixth season at Camp Nou and has another full campaign left to run on his current deal.

Suarez, who turns 33 in January, has been touted as a possible target for David Beckham's Inter Miami franchise ahead of their MLS debut next year.

Several established stars have made the switch Stateside in recent years, including the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Wayne Rooney, while talented youngsters have been lured from South America.

"MLS is a competition which has grown a lot in the last few years and you can see that with the young players that have moved there in the last two years, above all the South Americans," Suarez told ESPN FC.

"That shows that the league wants to grow and not just bring in players of a certain age that are going to retire there. They look for that mix to make the league better."

Seattle Sounders midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro said earlier this month that international team-mate Suarez has discussed the possibility of joining him in MLS.

The former Liverpool striker confirmed those talks took place and is not ruling out a move further down the line, describing the thought of playing in America as a "nice possibility".

"I didn't commit to anything [with Lodeiro]," Suarez said. "I had a conversation with him. MLS is a league that any player would be interested in and I asked him about the competition and about his team-mates.

"I have a contract with Barca and I am very happy here. In the future you never know, it's an attractive league.

"Given that I have been lucky to have had success at the top level for a long time, what I would look out for next is stability for my family and the well-being of my children.

"They would all make the decision along with me and the United States is a nice possibility."

Related items

  • Hazard, Griezmann and Joao Felix headline record transfer spend in 2019 Hazard, Griezmann and Joao Felix headline record transfer spend in 2019

    FIFA has revealed a record amount was spent on transfers in 2019, with deals for Eden Hazard, Antoine Griezmann and Joao Felix topping the bill.

    A report issued by world football's governing body on Wednesday revealed $7.35billion (£5.6billion) was spent by clubs in the transfer market in 2019, an increase of 5.8 per cent on the previous year.

    The study also confirmed that English clubs spent the most, though the total figure of $1.52billion (£1.14billion) was a 22.1 per cent decrease from 2018.

    Joao Felix's €126million transfer from Benfica to Atletico Madrid – who sold Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona for €120m – was the biggest deal of 2019, while Hazard left Chelsea for Real Madrid in a deal reportedly worth €100m.

    Harry Maguire became the world's most expensive defender with a reported £80m switch from Leicester City to Manchester United, while Ajax sold young stars Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong to Juventus and Barcelona respectively for an initial €75m each.

    There was also a rise of 16.3 per cent in spending in the women's game, with over 800 transfers made in total.

  • Willian Jose left out by Real Sociedad amid Tottenham rumours Willian Jose left out by Real Sociedad amid Tottenham rumours

    Willian Jose withdrew from Real Sociedad's squad for Wednesday's Copa del Rey clash with Espanyol amid reports he is set to join Tottenham.

    Sociedad striker Willian Jose was initially named in Imanol Alguacil's squad, but the Brazilian pulled out of contention after asking the club to be left out until his situation is resolved.

    It comes amid rumours the 28-year-old is a target for Premier League side Tottenham, who are set to be without Harry Kane until at least April after the England forward sustained a hamstring injury.

    Willian Jose, who joined Sociedad in 2016, has scored eight goals in 20 LaLiga appearances this season.

  • Bayern Munich talent Johansson departs for Sevilla Bayern Munich talent Johansson departs for Sevilla

    Sevilla have completed the signing of highly rated youngster Ryan Johansson from Bayern Munich.

    Johansson, 18, has signed a six-and-a-half-year contract with the Spanish side and is expected to feature for their second team – Sevilla Atletico – and the senior side before the end of the season.

    A technically gifted midfielder comfortable in the middle and on the right flank, Johansson had been at Bayern since 2017 and was on the fringes of the first-team squad, having been involved in each of their past two pre-season camps.

    But with the path to first-team football at Bayern blocked by a significant amount of talent, Johansson opted to make the move to LaLiga.

    "It is a dream come true. I think Sevilla is the perfect club for me at this point in my career and I hope to play for the first team very soon," he said.

    "It was a very easy decision for me to come here, where I can improve and help the team in the future. I think I can progress at first with the reserves and adapt myself to the club so I can make the first team, hopefully very soon."

    Johansson has represented Luxembourg at youth level, although he is said to be attempting to switch his allegiance to play for the Republic of Ireland, the nation of his England-born mother's parents.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.