Reggae Boyz’ Kemar Lawrence wants out from Red Bulls contract

By November 27, 2019
Kemar Lawrence Kemar Lawrence

Reggae Boyz left back Kemar Lawrence is no longer happy at his New York Red Bulls home.

Lawrence, one of the longest serving players at the club, recently had a request for an improved contract rejected, meaning last year’s MLS Best XI pick and 2019 All-Star, might be looking for greener pastures.

Lawrence, in 2018, signed a contract worth US$338,000, making him the highest-paid defender on the team last season.

Things have changed since then, however, as teammates have since earned new contracts, relegating the left backs status at the club.

It is also suggested that Lawrence is not happy with his remuneration when compared to other left backs around the league.

Lawrence joined the Red Bulls in 2015 and has since made more than 120 appearances. His contract is set to expire in 2021.

Lawrence also has 58 caps for the Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz, starting in 56 of those games, helping them to the Caribbean Cup in 2014 and two famous second places at the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2015 and 2017 before this year’s semi-final exit.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Vela: I wanted to accept Barcelona offer, but LAFC wouldn't let me leave Vela: I wanted to accept Barcelona offer, but LAFC wouldn't let me leave

    Carlos Vela revealed he previously received an offer he wanted to accept from Barcelona, only for Los Angeles FC to deny him a move.

    The Mexico international was linked with a switch to the LaLiga giants in January last year.

    Vela said he wanted to accept a four-month contract from Barcelona, only for the MLS club to step in.

    "Barca offered a four-month contract at that time and I wanted to accept it because it was a very good opportunity," the forward told GQ Mexico.

    "It wasn't saying, 'Oh, I want two years and if not, I'm not going'. They said four months and I'm going four.

    "But LAFC did not give me permission to leave, although it is understandable. In the end, they seek what is best for the club.

    "I tried and it didn't happen and nothing happens because I'm more than happy here."

    Vela has dominated MLS since arriving in 2018, scoring an incredible 52 goals in just 64 appearances in the competition.

    The 31-year-old said he was happy in the United States and believes MLS will continue to improve.

    "They have great planning and infrastructure. They want to do it, they can do it and they do it as it should be. It's essential," Vela said.

    He added: "You can't compare it with Europe because it will take time to at least compare them."

  • Coronavirus: Dybala feeling 'much better' after suffering with COVID-19 Coronavirus: Dybala feeling 'much better' after suffering with COVID-19

    Paulo Dybala is feeling "much better" after experiencing strong symptoms of coronavirus over the past week.

    Dybala confirmed on March 21 that he and his girlfriend Oriana Sabatini had tested positive for the virus, which has caused the postponement of sport across the globe.

    The Argentine international said that both he and Sabatini were feeling fine, though – in a video call posted to Juve's official Twitter account – Dybala has revealed he subsequently came down with strong symptoms.

    "I feel good, much better in fact, after having had some strong symptoms for a couple of days," Dybala said.

    "Today I feel much better, without any symptoms and I can move much better, so I will try to train again.

    "After having attempted to in the days where the symptoms were strong, I felt uncomfortable very quickly and I couldn't get any air so I couldn't do anything.

    "After about five minutes I felt really tired and my body felt heavy, my muscles hurt and I had to stop.

    "But luckily both me and my girlfriend feel much better now."

    Dybala was the third Juve player to test positive for COVID-19, after Daniele Rugani – who was the first Serie A player to be diagnosed with the illness – and Blaise Matuidi.

    COVID-19 has taken hold in Italy over the course of the past month, where there have been 86,498 confirmed cases and 9,134 deaths.

  • Coronavirus: With handshakes, fans, and abundant buckwheat, Belarus plays on Coronavirus: With handshakes, fans, and abundant buckwheat, Belarus plays on

    Still hungry for your football fix? Belarus was only too happy to oblige on Friday.

    From India to Israel, Serbia to Slovenia, broadcasters availed themselves of a rare chance to show live football, but nobody outside the former Soviet republic needed a 60-inch screen to realise the bigger picture.

    Without context, there was little to distinguish Friday's match between Torpedo Zhodino and Belshina in the Belarusian Premier League. The hosts won 1-0, a scrappy 50th-minute goal settling a so-so match in the second round of the championship.

    Yet while large parts of Europe hunkered down, self-isolating, working from home, avoiding the neighbours, fearing the supermarket trip, in Belarus it was handshakes, high fives and hugs all round.

    Torpedo published a batch of anti-epidemic rules for supporters before the game, advising those over 65 and anybody with fever or signs of respiratory illness to stay away. Advising, though, rather than ordering.

    All under-16s had to be accompanied by parents (because why not make a family day of it...) and fans were urged to stay 1.5 metres apart, a suggestion that was widely flouted despite there being thousands of empty seats.

    It was those empty seats that provided pause for thought. How many could this stadium hold? The answer to that was 6,500.

    And the latest coronavirus global death total? The harrowing number had climbed above 26,000 victims.

    You could have filled the Torpedo Stadium four times with people who were alive at the turn of the year but have since succumbed to this terrible pandemic.

    When football returns, even when spectators are readmitted, there will be empty seats in stadiums across the world. Whatever became of the fan who had a season ticket for seat C32, or B12, or H43, those who stood behind the goal?

    Now that there is no doubt what horrors COVID-19 can visit upon families, streets, towns, cities and countries, it seemed beyond scandalous that Friday's match in the city of Zhodino was going ahead.

    Football is on hold almost everywhere but Belarus. Seasons have stopped and players are trying to ride out the storm. Some have been infected.

    In Belarus, there is a sense of ignorance in play, or perhaps this is the denial stage. What else could explain the embraces between players, fans dancing arm in arm, the handshakes on the touchline at the final whistle?

    Wes Craven's slasher parody 'Scream' shone a light on the inevitable grisly fate of the horror movie character that might dare utter, "I'll be right back", before leaving a room.

    This felt similarly ominous, just as, it must be said, did Liverpool's Champions League match against Atletico Madrid on March 11, in front of a full house at Anfield.

    The United Kingdom had 460 confirmed coronavirus cases at that point, and eight deaths. Belarus, as this match proceeded, was teetering on moving into three figures in terms of cases, still waiting for its first death.

    The country's president, Aleksandr Lukashenko, subscribes to the theory that closing down industry could cost far more lives than this pandemic threatens.

    He wants life to carry on as close to normal as possible, and spoke of a "psychosis" that has "crippled national economies almost everywhere in the world".

    Lukashenko says Belarus will be fine - buckwheat supplies are bountiful, and there are always potatoes if the country needs a back-up.

    Speaking about US President Donald Trump, Lukashenko said just hours before Friday's match began: "I really like his recent statements."

    Quarantining will come to Belarus "only when it is really needed", the country's president added.

    "Time will tell," he concluded, whether the Belarusian authorities have got this right.

    So Belarus played on. Footballers mingled, coaches mingled, fans mingled.

    The unforgivable folly, the horror of it all.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.