Willian: My future is in Chelsea's hands

By Sports Desk November 29, 2019

Willian says he is eager to stay on at Chelsea beyond the end of the campaign but has yet to be offered a new deal by the Premier League side.

The Brazil international is into his seventh season at Stamford Bridge and is due to be out of contract next June.

But Willian, who turns 32 next year, intends to remain a Chelsea player and is waiting for discussions to begin over fresh terms.

"I feel happy here," he told reporters. "I feel happy to play for this club but the situation is not in my hands. It's in their hands. 

"I'm waiting for them. They know what I want, what I want to do, so I wait for them."

Head coach Frank Lampard recently called on Chelsea chiefs to award Willian with an extension and the forward will bide his time.

"I don't want to talk to [other clubs] because I have a contract until the end of the season," he said. "I am a Chelsea player but I just want to say the club know what I want to do."

Willian made his 17th appearance of the season on Wednesday in Chelsea's 2-2 Champions League draw with Valencia, playing 80 minutes before being replaced by Mason Mount.

Daniel Wass scored eight minutes from time for Valencia to leave Lampard's side potentially needing a home victory over Lille next month to advance to the last 16.

"The end of the game was crazy and it's difficult to play at Valencia with the atmosphere," said Willian.

"At least we got a point and now we have a decider at home. I think we got a little bit lucky but it was like this so now we go to the game against Lille."

Related items

  • Al Shabab sign Sevilla playmaker Banega Al Shabab sign Sevilla playmaker Banega

    Ever Banega will leave Sevilla to join Al Shabab at the end of the season, the Saudi Arabian side have confirmed.

    Banega, 31, is currently in his second spell at Sevilla, who he initially joined from Valencia in 2014 before leaving for Inter in 2016.

    However, the midfielder spent just one season at San Siro before returning to the Andalusian club, where he remains a regular having started 19 LaLiga matches so far this season

    The Argentine is out of contract in June, though, and Al Shabab have now confirmed Banega has agreed to a three-year deal.

    Six-time Saudi champions Al Shabab finished fifth in the Pro League in 2018-19.

  • Lo Celso giving Tottenham 'easy decision' on permanent transfer, says Mourinho Lo Celso giving Tottenham 'easy decision' on permanent transfer, says Mourinho

    Jose Mourinho says the form of Giovani Lo Celso is giving Tottenham "an easy decision" to sign him on a permanent basis.

    A superb individual run from Lo Celso helped to set up Spurs' goal as Son Heung-min struck in the 1-1 FA Cup fourth-round draw against Southampton on Saturday.

    The 23-year-old also had a goal disallowed and Mourinho is sure he has done enough to earn a permanent place at Spurs, having initially joined on a season-long loan from Real Betis, with an option to buy.

    Mourinho said: "It's not an obligation, it's an option. I think the boy is earning the decision. 

    "He's making an easy decision for the club to execute the option. Incredible evolution since I arrived.

    "Barely played a game [before I arrived], I think he played against Red Star Belgrade and with me it was a little bit difficult to come in the first few weeks.

    "But he understood what we wanted. Good learner, good kid and I think by himself he made the decision that the club is going to execute the option. That's normal, he earned it."

    Son, meanwhile, has netted in back-to-back matches at a time where star striker Harry Kane is out injured.

    Mourinho, whose side will now play an FA Cup replay against Saints, added of Son: "All of the attacking players need this happiness of scoring goals. 

    "In the first half he had one easier than the goal he scored, facing the keeper the angle was good, the shot was good but for inches he missed. 

    "It is a good goal, an important goal, so it is good for him.

    "Playing a replay will affect [our mid-season break] a little bit. There is one more match we have to play. It is not a personal situation, Ralph Hasenhuttl was telling me the same, we don't need one more match. 

    "But I think both me and him prefer to play again than to be out. No drama, let's go."

  • Jose Mourinho unhappy Christian Eriksen to Inter transfer remains unresolved Jose Mourinho unhappy Christian Eriksen to Inter transfer remains unresolved

    Jose Mourinho is unhappy Christian Eriksen's future remains unresolved but does not blame Tottenham for the situation amid Inter's continued pursuit of the playmaker.

    With six days to go until the end of the transfer window, Eriksen travelled with Tottenham but played no part in their FA Cup fourth-round tie at Southampton on Saturday, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

    The Denmark international is expected to undergo a medical with Inter on Monday, with Spurs having reportedly accepted an offer of an initial €15million (£12.6m) and €5m (£4.2m) in add-ons and a four-year deal set to be signed by the player.

    "You can read what you want to read [into Eriksen being left out] - I just want to say that this situation shouldn't happen on the 25th of January," Spurs boss Mourinho said of the 27-year-old, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

    "And it is not Tottenham's fault that on the 25th of January we are in the situation.

    "The only thing I can say is Eriksen, since I arrived, he is behaving in a very, very professional way, with me and the team. 

    "Tottenham is the last one to blame for this situation, but to be on the 25th of January in a situation like this is not nice."

    Danny Rose was also not included by Mourinho for the match against Saints, which ended level after Sofiane Boufal equalised with three minutes to go following Son Heung-min's opener.

    Asked if Rose, who has been linked with Bournemouth, Newcastle United and Watford, would still be a Spurs player after next Friday's transfer deadline, Mourinho said: "I don't know. 

    "He was not injured, my decision [to leave him out]. My decision is based on performance and based on my analysis. Nothing else really. 

    "We have Ben Davies at left-back injured for a long time. We have Danny, Japhet [Tanganga], who is not a left-back but is very solid and very concentrated - very difficult for him to make a mistake, even when playing against opposition in a position that is not his position.

    "And Ryan [Sessegnon] is a 19-year-old kid who is learning how to defend and of course his natural appetite is to be offensive. So we have four options and it's my decision.

    "We did good things. It is a result that keeps us alive, that keeps us in the draw. It is a result we don't need, we don't need to play one more match, but it is better to play than not to play.

    "We were very close to win. We are in the competition. The fantastic supporters that were here are going to be at home, with another 50,000 for sure who will come to support the team. That is OK."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.