Demme completes Napoli move

By Sports Desk January 11, 2020

Napoli have completed the signing of midfielder Diego Demme from RB Leipzig in a reported €12million move.

The one-cap Germany international joined Leipzig in the third tier in 2014 and has been a regular in their ascent to the Champions League, playing 17 times in the Bundesliga this season.

But Demme, who has an Italian father and was named after Napoli legend Diego Maradona, has now departed for the Partenopei.

The Serie A giants, who have struggled this term and replaced coach Carlo Ancelotti with Gennaro Gattuso, confirmed the signing of the 28-year-old on Saturday.

Holding midfielder Demme has previously described Gattuso, along with former Milan team-mate Andrea Pirlo, as his "idol".

He could soon be joined by another midfield signing as Stanislav Lobotka reportedly nears a switch from Celta Vigo to Napoli.

Related items

  • Sterling hails 'fantastic club' Real Madrid amid speculation over Man City future Sterling hails 'fantastic club' Real Madrid amid speculation over Man City future

    Raheem Sterling has described Real Madrid as "a fantastic club" amid speculation over his Manchester City future.

    The LaLiga giants have been linked with a move for the 25-year-old over the past two seasons, but City's looming ban from Europe has fuelled those rumours further.

    Sterling insists he is happy at City, where he has won two Premier League titles, two EFL Cups and the FA Cup since moving from Liverpool in 2015, but he cannot disguise his admiration for Zinedine Zidane's side.

    "Right now, I'm at City and I'm really happy," Sterling told Madrid sports publication AS.

    "But I say Real Madrid are a fantastic club. When you see the white shirt, you know exactly what the club stands for. It's massive. But at the same time, I have a contract with City now and I have to respect this. But it's a fantastic club.

    "No one knows what the future will hold. I am a player and I am always open to challenges but right now my challenge is at Manchester City. In the future, hopefully, who knows..."

    City were given a two-season ban from European competition by UEFA after being found guilty of breaching Financial Fair Play regulations, although the club insist they have done nothing wrong and intend to appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

    Speaking on the issue, Sterling said: "It's something we don't know much about yet because it's something that has not been confirmed. The club has a long way to go and we just have to wait and see what happens, but I have full confidence in the club."

    City face Madrid in the last 16 of the Champions League, with the first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu taking place next Wednesday.

    Sterling is relishing the challenge of facing the 14-time champions of Europe and does not think there is anything lucky about Zidane having led Madrid to three consecutive Champions League triumphs from 2016 to 2018.

    "We had a good reaction when we knew that they will be our rival," said the England star. "If you want to do well I think the best thing you have to do is to play against the best teams straight away and there is no better challenge than Real Madrid.

    "It is always going to be a difficult game whether they are in a good or a bad moment, just because of the atmosphere, the historical stadium that we are going to...

    "It's going to be a difficult game, especially now that they are doing really well, but at the same time I’ve got full confidence in our team and if we get it right on the day, I believe we can win.

    "I think to win the Champions League so many times, especially in a row as well, is very difficult. I don't think that's luck; it's definitely a formula. Some people have that winning mentality and he wins by any means. So I wouldn't say that it's luck, I'd say it's something he has probably developed over his great career as a player and he's developing his career as a manager, so it continues this winning touch."

  • Rumour Has It: Juventus want Man City's Jesus Rumour Has It: Juventus want Man City's Jesus

    Manchester City forward Gabriel Jesus is reportedly wanted by Serie A giants Juventus.

    Jesus, 22, has struggled for regular game time since arriving at City from Palmeiras in early 2017.

    And Juve may be prepared to take the Brazil international to Turin.

     

    TOP STORY – JUVENTUS WANT MAN CITY'S JESUS

    Juventus want Jesus in a €69.9million (£58.5m) move, according to The Sun.

    The report adds the Serie A champions also want Mauro Icardi, who is on loan at Paris Saint-Germain from Inter.

    Jesus has scored 36 goals in 90 Premier League games for City, but just 48 of those have been starts.

    ROUND-UP

    - With his contract at Real Madrid ending in 2021, Sergio Ramos seemingly wants a new deal. AS reports the Madrid captain, 33, wants a further two years on his deal, but the LaLiga giants are not keen to offer it.

    - Paulo Dybala looks likely to re-sign at Juventus. CalcioMercato reports the playmaker is getting closer to a renewal with the club with his current contract expiring in 2022.

    - Amid Liverpool's reported interest in RB Leipzig star Timo Werner, Roberto Firmino has been linked with a stunning move to Bayern Munich. However, Goal reports the Premier League leaders' front three of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Firmino are "going nowhere" at the end of the season.

    - Newcastle United remain keen to sign Lille midfielder Boubakary Soumare. Le 10 Sport says the Premier League club are continuing to press for the 20-year-old to make the move after being unable to get a deal done in January.

    - Arsenal are eager to re-sign Bukayo Saka. The 18-year-old, who has impressed at left-back, is in talks over a lucrative long-term deal, according to The Times.

  • Lucas: Tottenham 'cannot cry' over injury problems Lucas: Tottenham 'cannot cry' over injury problems

    Lucas Moura has warned Tottenham must not feel sorry for themselves over a lack of striking options and vowed Jose Mourinho's can still make a success of their campaign.

    Spurs lost Harry Kane to a likely season-ending hamstring injury on New Year's Day and Son Heung-min is also in danger of missing the rest of 2019-20 after needing surgery on a fractured arm.

    Head coach Mourinho said after the 1-0 loss to RB Leipzig in the opening leg of their Champions League last-16 tie that Tottenham are "really in trouble" due to a lack of bite up front.

    Lucas was tasked with leading the line alongside Dele Alli in Wednesday's match and insists he will continue giving his all to fill the void left by Kane and Son.

    "We lose two big strikers but we cannot cry," he said, quoted by several British newspapers. "That's the game. Every team has problems such as this.

    "I will give my best to score goals. I will give 100 per cent and we will go into the second leg with Leipzig with a strong mentality. We have the quality to go there and qualify."

    Timo Werner's penalty gave Leipzig a deserved 1-0 win at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, leaving Mourinho's men with a mountain to climb in the return leg on March 10.

    However, Tottenham defied the odds in reaching the final last season and Lucas - who played a key role in that magical run - is not giving up hope of another memorable comeback victory.

    "We can turn it around, the game is not over," he said. "It is a result we did not want. We did well with the system we chose to play.

    "We had opportunities to score. We lost the game, but it's not over. We will prepare well and I am sure we are capable to go there and qualify.

    "We know that in football everything can happen and we will not give up. We need to believe and that’s what I do every time.

    "I believe in God. I believe in myself. I believe in my team-mates. We work hard and see what will happen."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.