T&T Media Association condemns attack on Wired868 owner

By December 05, 2018
Lasana Liburd Lasana Liburd

The Media Association of Trinidad and Tobago (MATT) is up in arms over the attack of noted sports journalist, Lasana Liburd.

Liburd, the founder and editor in chief of online magazine, Wired868, and a veteran freelance sports journalist in Trinidad and Tobago, was reportedly attacked during an Intercol football game with other allegations being banded about the reason for the abuse.

According to a letter from MATT, the organization had been made aware of the incident and viewed it as ‘disturbing’.

According to MATT, the incident was sparked by an article Liburd wrote and consequent actions where the journalist, once an executive of the organization, sought the court’s intervention.

“MATT views this situation as unacceptable and unequivocally condemns the attack on any journalist performing their duties,” read the release.

According to MATT, the incident flies in the face of the tenets of Freedom of the Press, something the organization points out, “is enshrined in [the] country’s Constitution.”

The MATT release went on to say there were avenues for persons to seek redress against the media and that physical attacks should never be one of them.

The matter, MATT went on, was made ultimately worse because the incident occurred in view of children.

Matt has lauded Liburd for reporting the matter to the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service and gave that body a call to action.

“we trust that it will be dealt with expeditiously in order to send a message that such acts will not be tolerated,” the release ended.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Reggae Boyz hoping for Argentina clash Reggae Boyz hoping for Argentina clash

    President of the Jamaica Football Federation Michael Ricketts said he has hopes of arranging a match between the Reggae Boyz and two-time World Cup champions Argentina in the near future.

  • We weren't at our best – Tuchel after PSG's 5-1 rout We weren't at our best – Tuchel after PSG's 5-1 rout

    Thomas Tuchel said Paris Saint-Germain were not at their best, despite Wednesday's crushing Ligue 1 victory against Montpellier.

    PSG ran riot in a 5-1 rout at home to Montpellier in Paris, where the French champions extended their lead atop the table to 15 points.

    Angel Di Maria's stunning free-kick was the pick of the lot for PSG, with Kylian Mbappe, Layvin Kurzawa and Christopher Nkunku also on target, while Hilton turned the ball into his own net.

    Despite the comprehensive win in the French capital, PSG head coach Tuchel was not completely satisfied post-game.

    "We found more space in attack and made it hard for Montpellier to run with the ball," Tuchel told reporters.

    "It was a question of patience and of quality. A little bit of luck too. But we pressed well, we scored two goals in the game and then we had a lot of chances.

    "We were a little careless defensively. Honestly, it wasn't our best game. We weren't aggressive enough, not close enough to the ball.

    "But we were dangerous in attack and the victory is well deserved."

    Meanwhile, Montpellier boss Michel Der Zakarian added: "When you do not finish the actions, they punish you, they are talented players. We should have led the game.

    "We do not fight in the same category as PSG but it is painful to concede five."

  • LaLiga dismisses Tebas to Premier League links LaLiga dismisses Tebas to Premier League links

    LaLiga has denied president Javier Tebas is a candidate for the vacant Premier League chief executive role in England.

    Tebas has emerged as a potential replacement for Richard Scudamore, who departed the Premier League in December last year.

    The 56-year-old was appointed LaLiga president in 2013, and Tebas looks set to remain in Spain.

    Responding to speculation, LaLiga said in a statement: "We are not aware of this supposed interest.

    "That said, if a competition as important as the Premier League is taking note of the work being done by LaLiga, including its president, clubs and employees, it is a source of pride for the entire organisation.

    "Javier has a contract with LaLiga and not only is he happy here, he also has responsibilities and challenges which occupy his full attention.

    "This includes the changing broadcast landscape and battling the threat of new competitions – including format changes that put domestic leagues at risk."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.