'They had one chance' - UWI coach Peart laments missed opportunities

By Sports Desk March 31, 2019
UWI coach Andrew Peart. UWI coach Andrew Peart.

UWI coach Andrew Peart has insisted he is proud of the team, despite being eliminated from the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) following a 1-0 loss to Mount Pleasant at Drax Hall on Sunday.

In a balanced encounter, which headed into the second leg tied 2-2 on aggregate, the game was ultimately decided from the penalty spot.  Striker Francios Swaby fired high into the roof of the net from 12 yards out to give the home team the win in the 27th minute. 

The referee had pointed to the spot after a shot from just outside the area, from Mount Pleasant midfielder Cardel Benbow, struck the outstretched arm of UWI defender Michael Edwards. 

UWI had limited chances to equalize but still sniffed out good enough chances to get back on level terms.  Ramone Reid missed a point-blank header, delightfully set up off an accurate cross just minutes after going behind.  Later on substitute Patrick Brown saw his shot to goal cleared of the line by Mount Pleasant defender Ricardo Campbell in the 88th minute.

“We got one golden opportunity we never capitalised on it.  This is what these games come down to. They had one chance, created out of nothing really, it was just an unfortunate ball to the hand and they scored from the penalty,” said UWI coach Andrew Peart.

“We knew it was always going to be tough because the 17 games they played at home this they went ahead in the first half in 14 of them and never relinquished the lead, so we knew we needed something out of body today,” he added.

“The crowd was not in the game today because they saw our quality and saw that we could score at any moment.”

Related items

  • Sidelined Reggae Boy Corey Burke could be Europe bound Sidelined Reggae Boy Corey Burke could be Europe bound

    Reggae Boy Cory Burke may be finding his way back onto a professional pitch if his club, the Philadephia Union can have their way.

    The 28-year-old Burke has been playing for Portmore United, despite having a contract with the Philadelphia Union in the United States’ Major League because he lost his P1 status early last year.

    A P1 visa is applicable to athletes entering the United States to perform at a specific athletic competition as an individual athlete or as part of a team at an internationally recognized level of performance.

    Burke’s misfortune was beneficial to Portmore United, for whom he turned out in the interim.

    Burke’s paperwork was complete recently and he is now well on the way to being able to apply for a green card but until then, the Philadephia Union the team he has been playing on since 2017 when they bought him from the Bethlehem Steel, will be loaning him out.

    The striker, who has scored 11 goals in his 20 appearances for Portmore, will now turn out for Austrian outfit, SKN St Polten.

    Polten, the 2016 Austrian Champions, now sits ninth in a 12-team table, just three points from bottom.

    “I think I found a pretty good solution for him. He is on his way at this moment,” said Philadephia’s Sporting Director Ernst Tanner.

    “Everything is not written, but we have an agreement and Cory already has an agreement with the club.”

    According to Tanner, the loan spell with St Polten is to get Burke playing at a high level again before his re-integration into the MLS system.

    “I think they have a good situation for him, as he will join a club where the coach is a friend of mine and he knows everything about the player,” Tanner said.

    “The goal is to give him match practice on the higher level than he has had so far and bring him back at the beginning of May if possible,” he added.

    “He can re-apply for a green card by the end of April, and that’s what we have in mind. Loan him out until then and then bringing him back.” 

  • Jamaica’s Alex Marshall to team up with former T&T coach in Canadian Premier League Jamaica’s Alex Marshall to team up with former T&T coach in Canadian Premier League

    Jamaican international Alex Marshall is realizing his dream of landing an overseas contract after it was announced he would join Canadian Premier League outfit, HFX Wanderers FC.

    The 21-year-old Jamaican, who until recently, plied his trade with Red Stripe Premier League outfit, Cavalier SC, has played for the Reggae Boyz on seven occasions, but will now join up with a former rival in axed Trinidad and Tobago football team coach, Stephen Hart.

    Hart was head coach of the Soca Warriors during their most recent runs at the top of the Caribbean pile but was axed after declining results and rifts with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association over payment and treatment of the programme.

    Wanderers are a newly formed CPL outfit, much like the league, and was created to fulfil the idea of having a top-flight team from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

    The league is split into two seasons, Spring and Fall and includes seven teams so far.

    Wanderers finished fourth in the league’s inaugural Spring season with 11 points, 10 behind eventual winners, Calgary FC.

    Wanderers would then falter badly in the Fall season, falling to last place with just 17 points. The side scored 21 goals from 18 games but seem intent on doing better this coming season with the addition of Marshall.

    The attacking midfielder will join fellow Caribbean man, Akeem Garcia of Trinidad and Tobago, who ended the season, the club’s leading scorer with seven goals.

    Midfielder, Andre Rampersad is also from Trinidad and Tobago.

    Wanderers FC have also signed national striker, Alessandro Riggi.

    Marshall is looking to revive his professional career after showing much promise as a schoolboy.

    Playing from the Jamaica under-17 team in a Caribbean Football Union tournament, Marshall was voted Most Valuable Player and has since had some brilliant moments with Cavalier SC.

    Those performances did not go unnoticed and he made his debut with the senior Reggae Boyz in 2017 as a teenager.

  • Reggae Boy Javon East happy with Costa Rican deal, wants a foothold in Europe Reggae Boy Javon East happy with Costa Rican deal, wants a foothold in Europe

    In January, former Portmore United attacking midfielder, Javon East will be embarking on a three-year stint with Primera División de Costa Rica outfit, Santos de Guápiles, when the new season begins.

    Back in June, East went on loan with the Costa Rican top-tier club and has impressed enough to be offered a more permanent switch.

    However, East, who made his debut for the Reggae Boyz in 2018, while happy with the club’s decision to see him as important to their future, is also looking elsewhere to secure that future.

    “I am feeling good about this because it is a start to push my career towards Europe,” said East.

    “I think that I just have to start the season good and finish it good in order to stand a chance to make it into Europe.”

    East, had a phenomenal start to life with Santos, scoring 10 goals in 18 appearances for the club, making him its leading scorer last season, just three off the top goalscorer in the league.

    East, though, has set his sights much higher, saying he wants to, at least, double that tally in the upcoming season.

    “My aim for next season is to score 20-plus goals because from the first week that I went there, I adapted to their style of play and so I know that I can hit this target,” he said.

    With much bigger targets, East, one of three foreigners in the Santos squad, believes he will have to do more adapting because he is no longer and unknown quantity.

    “I think next season is going to be a bit tougher because my opponents in the league know about me now, and so I am going to have to double my work ethic going forward in the competition,” he said.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.