RSPL coaches under fire ahead of new season

By August 31, 2019
Fabian Taylor (left) and Jerome Waite Fabian Taylor (left) and Jerome Waite

Two of the 12 coaches in Jamaica’s Red Stripe Premier League have already been fired.

Jerome Waite, longstanding coach with Arnett Gardens, was last week, sacked and this week, the coach of Dunbeholden, former Reggae Boy, Fabian Taylor was shown the door.

Waite, it was said, would not have enough time with Arnett Gardens because of his duties with the national programme. Waite is coach of Jamaica’s under-23 outfit.

Taylor’s case also had to do with the stresses involved in starting a new season at the top level in Jamaican football. The former Reggae Boy was, reportedly, not pleased with the nature of the squad Dunbeholden were going to start the season with.

Dunbeholden have returned to the tried and tested, Regel Smith, who got them to the Premier League.

Waite, who won four Premier League titles with the club,  has been replaced by Wolmer’s player and former Arnett Gardens centre half, Alex Thomas. Thomas is also the coach of Wolmer’s Boys’ in Jamaica’s schoolboy urban area competitions, the Manning and Walker cups.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • T&T football mourns the passing of former TTFA President Raymond Tim Kee T&T football mourns the passing of former TTFA President Raymond Tim Kee

    Former Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president and Port of Spain Mayor, Raymond Tim Kee is dead.

    The 71-year-old Tim Kee, passed on Sunday at his Flagstaff home after a long ailment, leaving the football fraternity in mourning.

    TTFA President William Wallace issued condolences to the family, saying he had lost, not just a colleague in football, but a friend.

    “He was a good human being who cared for his fellow men. As an administrator, he never micromanaged but instead allowed guided initiative. He had the game at heart and was one of those persons who hurt over the last couple years,” said Wallace in an interview with T&T website Wired868.

    Wallace was the National Senior Team manager during Tim Kee’s term in office.

    “I salute the memory of an exceptional man who I knew as a voice of reason. My heartfelt sympathy condolences to his entire family,” he said.

    Wallace’s comments were made on the back of a TTFA statement, which also issued condolences, remembering Tim Kee as a kind-hearted man, ‘devoted and committed to serving his country the best way he could.’

    Tim Kee took over presidency of the TTFA in 2012 after Jack Warner was forced to resign amidst a US investigation into corruption within FIFA that implicated him.

    Tim Kee’s presidency saw a resurgence of the Soca Warriors but also an increasingly troubling financial situation. Constant squabbles with his board over those financial issues led to his eventual ousting in 2015 by recently deposed president, David John-Williams.

    Trinidad and Tobago Super League president, Keith Look Loy, as well as Strike Squad captain Clayton Morris have also expressed their condolences.   

  • Bologna rule out Ibrahimovic signing amid Napoli & Milan links Bologna rule out Ibrahimovic signing amid Napoli & Milan links

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic will not be joining Bologna, according to the club's director Walter Sabatini.

    Ibrahimovic had been linked with a return to Serie A via Bologna after leaving MLS outfit LA Galaxy at the end of his contract.

    But the 38-year-old striker will not be moving to Bologna amid speculation over a switch to either Napoli or former club Milan.

    "Ibrahimovic will not be coming to Bologna. He has made other choices," Sabatini told Tuttomercatoweb.

    A return to Milan has been mooted for Ibrahimovic, who won the 2011 Scudetto during his two years at San Siro.

    Italian rivals Napoli, however, have reportedly offered the ex-Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain star an 18-month contract.

    Asked about Ibrahimovic on the eve of Napoli's Champions League clash with Genk, head coach Carlo Ancelotti told reporters on Monday: "I haven't spoken to Ibra today but I did yesterday [Sunday] evening."

    "He told me he is in Los Angeles at the moment," added Ancelotti. "He feels really good and weather conditions are just perfect there."

  • Haaland: It's not hard to deal with transfer speculation Haaland: It's not hard to deal with transfer speculation

    Erling Haaland is not finding it difficult to deal with the transfer speculation that has unsurprisingly followed his remarkable run of goalscoring form.

    The teenage Salzburg striker is enjoying an excellent campaign and has scored eight goals in five Champions League games to go with 16 in 14 in the Austrian Bundesliga.

    Should Haaland score against Liverpool on Tuesday in their Group E finale, in which Salzburg could knock out the holders, he will become the first player to score in his first six Champions League matches.

    Manchester United – managed by Haaland's former Molde coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – have been heavily linked with a move for the 19-year-old, while Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Liverpool have also been credited with interest in his services.

    Haaland, however, has little interest in such rumours.

    "I just focus on my job, playing football, and to enjoy what I do every day and to go in with a clear mindset, to be in the present, and enjoy the moment right now," he told a media conference.

    "That's my focus, to focus on Salzburg and me as a player. So, it's not hard at all [dealing with transfer speculation]. I'm enjoying every day and playing football."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.