JFF president to soon announce fate of Reggae Girlz head coach and staff

By October 30, 2019

Jamaica Football Federation President Michael Ricketts says he will announce soon whether he will offer new contracts to the coaching staff of the senior Reggae Girlz, who led the team to the FIFA Women's World Cup earlier this year.

The contracts of Head Coach Hue Menzies and Assistant Lorne Donaldson expired in August and the JFF board is mulling the future of their relationship with the federation.

The matter came up for discussion at a meeting of the JFF’s executive on the weekend and they expect to come up with a decision soon, Ricketts told Sportsmax.TV on Wednesday.

“Some things came out at the meeting that we will not make public until I have discussed it with the coaches,” said Ricketts, who revealed that the immediate focus will be the World Cup campaigns of the Girls Under-17s and the Under-20s.

“Of course, the senior team; they are in the last stages of the Olympic qualifiers. Once that is over, they will be dormant for a while so we will probably make adjustments.”

The JFF president said they had discussions with both Lorne Donaldson and goalkeeper coach Hubert Busby about joining the coaching staff for the under 17s and U20s following the success of the teams at the recent qualifiers.

“In the absence of Menzies, Donaldson took charge and they did a pretty decent job, they were very convincing every time they went on the pitch but we will make a public disclosure soon and the board did have a fulsome discussion on the contracts and what will happen thereafter,” Ricketts said.

He said there were several things to be considered before they arrived at a final decision.

“In any contract, it would be your success rate, the relationship with your parent organisation, the relationship with your team and in this case, some of the parents,” Ricketts said.

“They were some grey areas. I will have a discussion with members of the technical team before I make a public announcement.”

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney

    Watford captain Troy Deeney believes the integrity of the Premier League season is "already gone" and said the coronavirus pandemic has spoiled Liverpool's dominance.

    Liverpool held a 25-point lead atop the Premier League table when the campaign was suspended in March due to COVID-19.

    While the Premier League is bidding to restart its season, Deeney has spoken about his health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    And the 31-year-old forward feels for Liverpool because their dominant season has been spoiled.

    "I believe that when it comes to the integrity of this season anyway, it's already gone," Deeney told CNN.

    "I feel sorry for Liverpool because no matter how it plays out, they deserve to win the league. They deserve to get the trophy.

    "But no matter how it plays out, even if we play all the games, it's still going to be the year spoiled by the pandemic.

    "It's not going to be that year that Liverpool won the league being the best team and, you know, it's 30 years they haven't won for."

    Liverpool had won 27 of 29 Premier League games this season, with one draw and a loss to Deeney's relegation-threatened Watford, who ended their 'Invincibles' bid.

    But Deeney said the integrity of this Premier League campaign had been ruined.

    "I do feel sorry for Liverpool and their players and Jordan [Henderson, captain], but in terms of integrity, there's no way you could say that this is a viable competition," he said.

    "It's like running a marathon, 20-odd miles, stopping for two months and then sprinting the last bit and going: 'Ah, that was a good time that.'"

  • LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president

    Former Barcelona president Joan Gaspart claimed LaLiga would have been cancelled if Real Madrid were top of the table when the season was suspended.

    The LaLiga campaign is set to get back underway next month, with Barcelona holding a two-point lead over Madrid with 11 games left to play.

    But Gaspart, who was Barca president from 2000 to 2003, said it would have been different if Madrid were leading the league when it was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    "If Madrid had finished as leader before the confinement, LaLiga would have ended," he told Tertulia del 10 del Barca, via AS, on Wednesday.

    While Barcelona will aim to clinch the LaLiga title, they continue to be linked with former star Neymar, who could return to the club from Paris Saint-Germain.

    Gaspart hopes the Brazil international ends up back at Camp Nou, where he left in 2017 for a world-record €222million.

    "I would love to see Neymar at Barca. I understand that he can still contribute," he said.

    "What I don't know is the fine print. I forgive what it takes to get him back. I would like him to play for Barca."

  • Barcelona told Lautaro Martinez will not leave Inter unless release clause is met Barcelona told Lautaro Martinez will not leave Inter unless release clause is met

    Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio says Lautaro Martinez will not be sold to Barcelona unless the LaLiga club pay his release clause.

    Argentina striker Martinez has long been linked with a move to Camp Nou as a potential long-term replacement for Luis Suarez, but striking a deal appears to be complex.

    Barca were struggling to free up significant transfer funds before the coronavirus crisis and are said to be prepared to sell a host of squad players and offer others in part-exchange deals in a bid to land their top targets.

    Arturo Vidal, Nelson Semedo, Samuel Umtiti and Ivan Rakitic have all been touted as possible makeweights in any deal for the former Racing forward.

    Inter, though, have made it clear that any club interested in Martinez will have to pay the full amount of his reported €111million buyout clause, which is said to contain certain clauses including the fact that it must be paid in a single instalment.

    Ausilio told Sky Sport: "Lautaro Martinez is not for sale. Barcelona contacted us, we have a good relationship, but we told them we'll not sell Lautaro.

    "If they want him, Barca must pay the full release clause.

    "We want Lautaro in our team in the future. He will not be sold; the release clause is the only way. Barca know this as do the other clubs who contacted us. And Lautaro's release clause is so complicated..."

    Chelsea and Manchester United have also been linked with the 22-year-old, who has scored 11 goals in 22 Serie A appearances this season as part of a formidable Inter attack alongside Romelu Lukaku.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.