Kovalev survives Yarde scare to defend WBO title

By Sports Desk August 24, 2019

Sergey Kovalev came through a difficult eighth round to stop Anthony Yarde and retain his WBO light-heavyweight belt in Chelyabinsk.

Kovalev reclaimed his title from Eleider Alvarez in January, having been knocked out by the same man in an initial meeting last year, to set up a return to Russia for the first time since 2016.

For a short time on Saturday, though, the home favourite staggered towards the brink of losing his belt again, despite dominating Yarde for much of the contest.

Kovalev found his rhythm after a cagey start and repeatedly tested Yarde's chin with his left, seeing little come back his way from the Briton.

But after showing signs of a response in both the fifth and seventh, Yarde traded punches in the eighth before suddenly having Kovalev in clear trouble.

By the bell, the 36-year-old champion looked spent. He had done well to come through the onslaught but was warned by trainer Buddy McGirt to improve in a hurry or else he would be pulled out by his corner.

Kovalev responded to the ultimatum by going on the attack. A tiring Yarde did well to get through the 10th under heavy punishment but was knocked down in the next by a stiff jab, leading to the bout being stopped.

It is the first defeat of his 19-fight career, while Kovalev moves to 34-3-1.

"[Yarde] was seconds away from winning it with those body shots in the eighth," promoter Frank Warren told BT Sport. "Every time, he was hurting [Kovalev] and he was all over the place at one stage."

Earlier, Ilunga Makabu pipped Aleksei Papin in an entertaining bout that went the distance.

Related items

  • Fury knows WWE appearance could scupper Wilder rematch Fury knows WWE appearance could scupper Wilder rematch

    Tyson Fury concedes a potential rematch with Deontay Wilder could be scuppered by his WWE appearance as "anything can happen in a ring".

    Lineal heavyweight champion Fury is to face Braun Strowman at WWE's Crown Jewel show in Saudi Arabia on October 31.

    The 'Gypsy King' is pencilled in to face Wilder in February, with the two having fought to a contentious draw during their first meeting for the latter's WBC strap last December.

    Fury, though, says he is not looking beyond his current run with WWE and that any thoughts of Wilder can wait.

    "Potentially [the Wilder fight is at risk], anything can happen in a ring," Fury told ESPN's Get Up.

    "With two big massive guys, you never know what can happen in there.

    "But hopefully, touch wood, everything goes well and we roll on to February 22 [when the rematch is pencilled in for].

    "I'm concentrating on Braun Strowman in Saudi Arabia at Crown Jewel for now.

    "I only take one fight at a time as I've always said. When I get past this one, then we’ll look at the Wilder rematch."

  • Gvozdyk released from hospital after TKO loss to Beterbiev Gvozdyk released from hospital after TKO loss to Beterbiev

    Oleksandr Gvozdyk, the former world light-heavyweight champion who lost to Artur Beterbiev by TKO on Friday, was released from hospital on Sunday after staying two nights as a precaution.

    Gvozdyk, 32, was stopped in the 10th round of an action-packed 175-pound unification bout Friday at the Liacouras Center.

    Referee Gary Rosato waved off the fight after two minutes and 49 seconds of the 10th after Beterbiev (15-0, 15 KOs) dropped an exhausted Gvozdyk (17-1, 14 KOs) three times.

    According to ESPN, Gvozdyk walked alongside Atlas to an ambulance to make the short trip to the hospital to be checked out as a precaution.

    Atlas confirmed he stayed with Gvozdyk a second night to be safe before the 32-year-old was released with a minor concussion.

    "All is clear," Atlas told ESPN. "No [brain] bleed or anything. Thank God, just a minor concussion from the hits to the back of the head they said, but we needed to be sure."

    Gvozdyk, a Ukrainian who is based in California, won his WBC title in December 2018 - stopping Adonis Stevenson in a bout that saw the long-reigning champion put in an induced coma and treated for a traumatic brain injury - and made one successful defence before being stopped by the undefeated Beterbiev on Friday.

    A Russian based in Montreal, Beterbiev, 34, defended his IBF title for the third time since winning it in November 2017. 

  • Gvozdyk in hospital for a second night after TKO loss to Beterbiev Gvozdyk in hospital for a second night after TKO loss to Beterbiev

    Oleksandr Gvozdyk, the former world light-heavyweight champion who lost to Artur Beterbiev by TKO on Friday, remained at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia for a second straight night as a precaution, his trainer Teddy Atlas confirmed.

    Gvozdyk, 32, was stopped in the 10th round of an action-packed 175-pound unification bout Friday at the Liacouras Center.

    Referee Gary Rosato waved off the fight after two minutes and 49 seconds of the 10th after Beterbiev (15-0, 15 KOs) dropped an exhausted Gvozdyk (17-1, 14 KOs) three times.

    According to ESPN, Gvozdyk walked alongside Atlas to an ambulance to make the short trip to the hospital to be checked out as a precaution.

    However, they were each still at hospital on Saturday.

    "I'm still here with him," Atlas told ESPN. "I just brought him last night because he had pain behind his head from the punches he got hit there, so they did a scan and saw a possible small something and did another scan six hours later and [the doctor] wanted us to stay 24 hours to be safe.

    "So we cancelled his flight, and I will stay with him here another night, then [on Sunday] bring him to my home [in New York] - just again to be safe. Then Monday, he will fly home.

    "He's fine, but we are still here just as precaution and will stay the night. [Sunday] morning, if all is the same, they will discharge him."

    Gvozdyk, a Ukrainian who is based in California, won his WBC title in December 2018 - stopping Adonis Stevenson in a bout that saw the long-reigning champion put in an induced coma and treated for a traumatic brain injury - and made one successful defence before being stopped by the undefeated Beterbiev on Friday.

    A Russian based in Montreal, Beterbiev, 34, defended his IBF title for the third time since winning it in November 2017. 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.